[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---OCT. 5th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Oct 3 15:59:45 EDT 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  OCT. 5th  thru THURSDAY,  OCT. 11th  ONLY!!
Check out our groovy website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:

   TAKEN 2 (PG13) Now, those bad guys have taken Liam Neeson's DOG!! (Just kidding---that will be TAKEN 3)

CONTINUING:

 ARBITRAGE (R) Richard Gere may get an Oscar nomination (and win!) for this excellent thriller! TERRIFIC MOVIE!!! ENDS THURS!!

 TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE (PG13) The new Clint Eastwood movie!  'nuff said? ENDS WEDNESDAY!!

COMING SOON:
   Oct. 12th: ARGO (R) Ben Affleck directs and stars in what is said to be one of the best films of the year!!
...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

TAKEN 2 (PG13) Action/Drama--Running time 91 min (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
Bryan Mills, the retired CIA agent, stopped at nothing to save his daughter Kim from Albanian kidnappers. The father of one of the kidnappers has sworn revenge and takes Bryan and his wife hostage during their family vacation in Istanbul. Bryan enlists his daughter to help them escape.

The first installment of this story was a surprise hit a couple years ago, and now all the same people are back to thrill you again!

TAKEN 2 (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ARBITRAGE (R) Mystery/Thriller Running time: 1 hr. 40 min. (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

Ok, folks! I have seen this movie in an advance screening and I gotta tell you: It is TERRIFIC!!
This is just what the Avon crowds crave (and what so many out there in "McTheater land" never  get:
A movie for and about grown-ups!
Not a spandex costume or fakey-looking computer special effects in sight!

This movie has a STORY! (what a concept these days!)
...and WHAT a story!
The twists and turns in this can only be likened to Hitchcock.
As Richard Gere's character sinks deeper and deeper into the mire, you will wonder how in the world he will get out of the mess (that is IF he does get out of it!).
Richard Gere has never been better, and there is talk of an Oscar nomination for him in this!

In other words: YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS!!

ARBITRAGE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (1:15) - (4:15
MON thru THURS: 7:00 (ENDS THURS)

++++++++++++++++++++++

TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE (PG13)  Comedy/Drama--Running time111 min (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)

Gus Lobel (Clint Eastwood) has been one of the best scouts in baseball for decades, but, despite his efforts to hide it, age is starting to catch up with him. Nevertheless, Gus-who can tell a pitch just by the crack of the bat-refuses to be benched for what may be the final innings of his career. He may not have a choice. The front office of the Atlanta Braves is starting to question his judgment, especially with the country's hottest batting phenom on deck for the draft. The one person who might be able to help is his daughter (Amy Adams), but that opens up some family history that may be best left alone.
This is Clint's first starring role in 4 years, since GRAN TORINO, and it can be said he plays a somewhat milder version of his character in that one.

Clint has said he will not direct AND act any longer. He will either direct a film, or he will act in one, but the years of double duty are over.
At 82 years old, and some of the finest films of the past 30 years, I think he's deserves the right to slow down a bit!

THIS IS TAILOR-MADE FOR THE AVON, FOLKS!!
TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 6:45 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!!)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last week I detailed all the hoo-hah about city parking garage B, and how it seems every week there is a new obstacle to hinder the Avon's parking in this edifice that taxpayers have been paying for over the last 50 years, and the city council allowed ADM to restrict access to in a dubious decision in October of 2010.
Well, thanks to the work of local attorney William Faber, and the folks at ADM, there will very soon be signs that detail when it is OK for Avon Theater customers to park in the garage.

In a nutshell: Avon Theater customers can park free in the garage from Monday through Friday after 5 PM, and on Saturday and Sunday ALL DAY LONG..
There will soon be signs to this effect.

SO, NOW YOU KNOW!

This was a compromise that I hope will ease the confusion and anger so many of you have expressed to me.

The only other solution is to let a court decide if the city of Decatur acted legally in allowing a private company to take control of a public property without voter consent.
The city maintains they were on firm legal ground in this action.
I think I would like to hear that from a court of law...

However, let's see if the agreed signage will help matters before taking it any further.

It's always better if we can all get along.
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and...YOU!!!