[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---JUNE 1st, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu May 31 11:27:03 EDT 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 1st thru THURSDAY,  JUNE 7th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre
OPENING:
  SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN (PG13) Now we have the serious and action/adventure take on the Snow White tale!

CONTINUING:
 THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13) Judi Dench and Maggie Smith in the one you've been waiting for!

 THE AVENGERS (PG13) This is IT! Need we say more?

COMING SOON:

 JUNE 8th: PROMETHEUS (PG13) Ace director Ridley Scott takes you back to ALIEN sci-fi adventure!!

 JUNE 15th: ROCK OF AGES (PG13) Tom Cruise and an all-star cast in the '80's musical!

 JUNE 22nd: ABRAHAM LINCOLN-VAMPIRE HUNTER (PG13) Yes, you read that correctly. BIG FUN! BIG THRILLS!

 JULY 20th: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (PG13) The final entry in the BATMAN trilogy! Biggest hit of the year?

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN (PG13)
In the epic action-adventure Snow White and the Huntsman, Kristen Stewart plays the only person in the land fairer than the evil queen (Charlize Theron) out to destroy her. But what the wicked ruler never imagined is that the young woman threatening her reign has been training in the art of war with a huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) dispatched to kill her. Sam Claflin joins the cast as the prince long enchanted by Snow White's beauty and power.
SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13)

Here is one of the most "definitive" of the genre known as "Avon movies" we have played in quite a while!!
JUDI DENCH, MAGGIE SMITH and a whole bunch of British stars you know and love all come together in this wonderful comedy about a group of seniors going to India, and all the trouble they get in to!
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel follows a group of British retirees who decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.

Have you been starving for a movie geared to actual, bona fide, thinking ADULTS??
Are you already sick and tired of all the special effects driven, spandex-wearing hoo-hah that permeates "summer" at the movies?
THIS IS FOR YOU!!!!!

THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE AVENGERS (PG13)
Marvel Studios presents Marvel's The Avengers-the Super Hero team up of a lifetime, featuring iconic Marvel Super Heroes Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.
ENDS THIS WEEK!!
THE AVENGERS  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wow! It seems most of the country was more than ready for a film aimed at mature adults like THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL!!
The theaters fortunate enough to be playing it (and that is only THE AVON in the Decatur area!) were mostly PACKED with it all Memorial Day weekend!
Will this send a message to Hollywood that a huge "forgotten" segment of movie-goers are sick and tired of the same ol', same ol' special effects extravaganzas and spandex-wearing endless permutations of the super-hero genre?
Don't count on it.

As the throngs leaving the Avon after every showing of MARIGOLD HOTEL asked me, "Please bring more of these type of movies!"...
The problem is: There aren't many anymore!
The clueless suits in Hollywood have sealed their fate by pandering almost exclusively to the 14 to 29 year old's, and what a shame that is!

Every time there rises an unexpected hit like THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL, do the over-paid studio executives rush more like it into production?
No...they write it off as a "fluke"!
Indeed, it was BRITAIN who gave us THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL!
I think that says it all for the brilliant  hoo-hahs in Hollywood!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For all our fans in the Springfield area, I share your concern that the gigantic AMC Theater chain, long a staple of American movie-goers, has now been sold off to a Chinese conglomerate.
I have seen this endless "selling of America" to foreign interests for too long, and, in my opinion, its too bad our elected officials won't (or can't) do anything about it. Springfield is solely served by AMC, and nothing like THE AVON would ever be allowed by the monopolistic megaliths to gain a foothold there.
 There's a lot of great movie-goers in Springfield...
I know, because they make the drive to Decatur for THE AVON all the time!
All I can say is, if you are reading this,  we'd help you with an alternative to AMC if we could!
SHOW US THE WAY!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...and now a word from Ashley Petty, The Avon Theater 3's General Manager....
JOB OPENINGS AT THE AVON THEATER!!
The Avon Theater is now accepting applications for a few positions opening in late Summer / early Fall!
(Training will have to start sooner than that!)
Do you want to be in show-biz? Well, here's your chance!

*MUST apply in person to General Manager Ashley Petty during normal business hours (During the weekdays that's after 6 PM, Friday's after 4 PM, and Saturday and Sunday after 1 PM.). NO PHONE CALLS!
NOTE: Ashley is usually not there on Wednesday nights, or Fridays, but you can still pick up an application and bring it back to here when she is there).

*MUST be willing to work nights, weekends, and all holidays! NO EXCEPTIONS!

*MUST have own reliable transportation!

*MUST be over 18 years old, however, we will consider as young as 16 based on individual maturity.

*Prefer college-age, but will consider all ages.

*We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.

The Avon Theater is a great place to work, and our girls usually stay for years!
(The fact we have openings coming is due to some long-time staffers going away to college.)

If you think this is right for you, Ashley wants to meet you!!
(Once Ashley conducts your initial interview, she may schedule you for a follow-up with the Avon's honchos if she thinks you are a candidate!)

This is a rare chance when we reach out to the public for staff!

Thanks, folks!
 Ashley Petty---Avon Theater General Manager
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and...YOU!!