[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---MAY 4th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Tue May 1 19:57:18 EDT 2012

MIDNIGHT PREMIERE THURSDAY, MAY 3rd!
>>ALL MIDNIGHT SEATS, $10 ea., NO PASSES PLEASE<<
REGULAR PRICE SHOWS (with passes ok) START
FRIDAY, MAY 4th DETAILS BELOW!!

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MAY 4th thru THURSDAY, MAY 10th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
 MAY 4th: THE AVENGERS (PG13) This is IT! Need we say more?

CONTINUING:
 THE LUCKY ONE (PG13)  Zac Efron in the newest romantic movie from the writer of The Notebook and Dear John.

 THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT (R) Jason Segel & Emily Blunt in a raunchy R-rated laff-fest in the tradition of last year's "Bridesmaids".

COMING SOON:

 MAY 11th: DARK SHADOWS (PG13) Johnny Depp sends up the old TV series!! This will be wildly funny!

 MAY 11th: FRIENDS WITH KIDS (R) Limited Engagement of the romantic comedy-drama with TV's "Mad Men" star Jon Hamm!

 MAY 18th: BATTLESHIP (PG13) Liam Neeson and an all-star cast in a big adventure!!

 MAY 25th: THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13) Judi Dench and Maggie Smith in the one you've been waiting for!

 JUNE 1st: SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN (PG13) Now we have the serious and action/adventure take on the Snow White tale!

 JUNE 8th: PROMETHEUS (PG13) Ace director Ridley Scott takes you back to ALIEN sci-fi adventure!!

 JUNE 8th: MADAGASCAR 3 (PG) Bring all the kids you can find! Rent some kids of you have to!

 JUNE 15th: ROCK OF AGES (PG13) Tom Cruise and an all-star cast in the '80's musical!

 JUNE 22nd: ABRAHAM LINCOLN-VAMPIRE HUNTER (PG13) Yes, you read that correctly. BIG FUN! BIG THRILLS!

 JULY 20th: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (PG13) The final entry in the BATMAN trilogy! Biggest hit of the year?

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE AVENGERS (PG13)
The BIG Summer Movies BEGIN!!
Marvel Studios presents Marvel's The Avengers-the Super Hero team up of a lifetime, featuring iconic Marvel Super Heroes Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.
THE AVENGERS  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT (R)

The director and writer/star of Forgetting Sarah Marshall reteam for the irreverent comedy The Five-Year Engagement. Beginning where most romantic comedies end, the new film from director Nicholas Stoller, producer Judd Apatow (Knocked Up, The 40-Year-Old Virgin) and Rodney Rothman looks at what happens when an engaged couple, Jason Segel and Emily Blunt, keeps getting tripped up on the long walk down the aisle.
In the rowdy and raunchy tradition of last year's "Bridesmaids". If you liked that one, you'll like this one!
THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE LUCKY ONE (PG13)
U.S. Marine Sergeant Logan Thibault (Efron) returns from his third tour of duty in Iraq, with the one thing he credits with keeping him alive--a photograph he found of a woman he doesn't even know. Learning her name is Beth (Schilling) and where she lives, he shows up at her door, and ends up taking a job at her family-run local kennel. Despite her initial mistrust and the complications in her life, a romance develops between them, giving Logan hope that Beth could be much more than his good luck charm.
>From the popular author of THE NOTEBOOK and DEAR JOHN comes this new romance
THE LUCKY ONE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not much to "Rant, Rave and Ramble" about this week.
Merchant Street is now OPEN, and it is really weird to drive down it going SOUTH!!

As the face-lift for downtown nears completion, its almost as if somebody switched downtowns on us!

The Springfield downtown is very nice (and has my favorite "toy" store ISRINGHAUSEN AUTO IMPORTS there!), but a big thing downtown Springfield does NOT have, and NEVER can have is its great old theaters!
Yup, they tore them all down many years ago!
-And  now they're SOOOOO SORRY they did!

In Decatur, we have our TWO GREATEST THEATERS, still standing and operational, THE AVON THEATER and THE LINCOLN SQUARE THEATER.

Springfield people come over to the Avon all the time and really bemoan the loss of their downtown theaters, believe me!
(And there were some very groovy old theaters in downtown Springfield too!)

-Because, when one of these temples of theatrical delight are torn down, there is NO replacing them!

The AVON and THE LINCOLN will BOTH be 100 years old in just over 4 years from now.
Let's hope BOTH of them see that 100th anniversary with the lights still on!!!

It's up to YOU!
IT REALLY IS.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm watching for you and you and...YOU!!

Do you know how many people STILL don't know how to get into the Twins?
We thought about putting this awning above the doors, just to try and get the message out!
(But, we didn't. This is just an artist's rendering).
On Oct. 1st, the Twins will be 8 YEARS OLD!
We hope that someday we won't have to "direct traffic" to the Twins entrance any longer!
But...I don't know...after 7 1/2 years we still have to tell dozens every day where to
enter the Twins.
I guess we should just be glad you're coming, period!