[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---MARCH 23rd, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Mar 21 13:30:46 EDT 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 23rd thru THURSDAY,  MARCH 29th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre
OPENING:
  THE HUNGER GAMES (PG13) Here it is! The BIG one! ADVANCE TICKETS ON SALE NOW!!

 BIG MIRACLE (PG) A FRI, SAT & SUN ONLY reprise of the all-star cast heartwarming true tale! Suitable for the whole family!

CONTINUING:
 Dr. Suess' THE LORAX (PG) It ENDS SOON!! Bring all the kids you can find! FRI, SAT & SUN ONLY!!

COMING SOON:
 MARCH 30th: MIRROR, MIRROR (PG) Julia Roberts in the Snow White story for the WHOLE FAMILY!!

MARCH 30th: WRATH OF THE TITANS (PG13) Greek mythology, swinging swords, nasty monsters and angry Gods! Tons of fun!!

  FRIDAY the 13th FREE SHOW @ 10:30 PM!! THE INNKEEPERS (R) Troy Taylor personally presents a new ghost story that has his seal of approval on it! It's FREE and it will give you the shiverin' fits! NO TICKETS NEEDED, JUST COME ON DOWN!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NOW SELLING COLLECTIBLE ADVANCE TICKETS FOR "THE HUNGER GAMES"
STARTS MIDNIGHT, THURSDAY, MARCH 22nd!!
MIDNIGHT ADVANCE TICKETS: $10
(ALL OTHER

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE HUNGER GAMES (PG13)
The time has finally come!
When we first started promoting this back last Fall, the reaction was astounding!
I half expected to see people start to camp out in front of our doors back in October, just to be first in line on March 23rd!

This hotly-anticipated beginning of the series of books looks to be even bigger than the Twilight series!
(I say that because THE HUNGER GAMES, in my opinion, has a broader appeal than the mammoth Twilight series)

And here's a little tidbit: Do you remember a couple years ago when we brought in a little-known movie called WINTER'S BONE?
Many of you thought the hillbillies in that film were the REAL thing!
I told you they were mostly all professional actors, and that the female lead, Jennifer Lawrence, was actually a beautiful young woman who would go on to much bigger things!
Well, take a look at the poster above, and there is Jennifer as the star of this new blockbuster!
(Not to mention her recent role in "X-Men").

This exciting story of a not-too-future civilization, and the survival games that are played, will rivet you to your seat!!

THE HUNGER GAMES  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS, MARCH 22nd: MIDNIGHT PREMIERE!! Collectible $10 Midnight Premiere tickets on sale now!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BIG MIRACLE (PG)
Inspired by the true story that captured the hearts of people across the world, the rescue adventure Big Miracle tells the amazing tale of a small town news reporter (John Krasinski) and an animal-loving volunteer (Drew Barrymore) who are joined by rival world superpowers to save a family of majestic gray whales trapped by rapidly forming ice in the Arctic Circle.
BIG MIRACLE (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
AVON TWINS CLOSED MON THRU THURS NEXT WEEK
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dr. Seuss' THE LORAX (PG)
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax is an adaptation of Dr. Seuss' classic tale of a forest creature who shares the enduring power of hope. The animated adventure follows the journey of a boy as he searches for the one thing that will enable him to win the affection of the girl of his dreams. To find it he must discover the story of the Lorax, the grumpy yet charming creature who fights to protect his world. ENDS SOON!!!
Dr. Suess' THE LORAX  (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
AVON TWINS CLOSED MON THRU THURS NEXT WEEK
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I KNEW it would happen!
SOME of you who saw the front-page article on all movie theater's impending need for digital conversion in last Sunday's Herald & Review, apparently didn't READ it carefully enough!

The article mentioned our friends at the Lincoln Theater 4 in LINCOLN, ILLINOIS, let me repeat that: LINCOLN, ILLINOIS, and how they have now installed the very pricey new digital projection in all of their 4 screens...
BUT, of course there were some of you who took that to mean it was the poor old embattled Lincoln Square Theater in DECATUR!!

Just to put you back up to speed: The Lincoln Square Theater is not a movie theater any longer, and hasn't been for over 20 years.
No one has stepped up and purchased the Lincoln Square Theater, so it is still available if you want to buy it.
(I sincerely wish someone would!)

Probably the most annoying of this whole syndrome are those who mistake The Lincoln Square Theater for THE AVON!!

I can't begin to tell you how many have mentioned The Lincoln Square Theater's financial and facility woes as THE AVON'S!!!

I am trusting YOU, as reader's of this newsletter, to do your best to set people straight on these matters!

We've even had calls about THE AVON going out of business!!
That couldn't be further from the truth, and even though I am aware some of our enemies (you know who you are) would wish it differently, THE AVON will be around to see its 100th anniversary in 4 1/2 years, and well beyond that!

I only wish some of the haters and gossip-mongers had the guts to face me personally, but cowards always hide behind their respective bushes while lobbing grenades.

And, as far as all the doom and gloom digital-conversion hoo-hah?
We've had a timeline on that for a couple years now.
Believe it or not, we know what we have to do and when we have to do it.
'nuff said?
Don't worry about us!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DOWNTOWN FACE-LIFT
Wow, are things looking great on our block, and I can't wait to see how cool its going to look when the other current downtown work is completed!
Many of you know my stand on the importance of downtown redevelopment; I've been the voice crying in the wilderness about it for over 20 years now!

Please give the merchants who have construction going on outside their front door the same consideration you gave THE AVON last Fall when we were being worked on. This is the time they NEED you the most, so make it a point to support them during this face-lift process!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NEW RICHLAND-AT-THE-AVON FILM CLASSES START APRIL 5th!!
6 CLASSIC COMEDIES
Starts Thursdays, April 5 to May 10
6 weeks of comedy!!
Time:  6:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Cost:  $60
Register today:  (217) 875-7211, Ext. 265
FLYERS AND REGISTRATION FORMS IN AVON LOBBIES!!
Are you ready for comedies that make you laugh out loud?  How about the best popcorn in town?  If you are, join us for a 6-week film class on the comedies that made the film industry stand up and take note!  As is always the case in the Richland-at-the-Avon film classes, the films to be shown are never disclosed before and always an element of surprise.
NOTE:  Movies selected can be rated from PG to R, and are generally intended for adults.
I Hope To See All of YOU Soon!!