[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---MARCH 9th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Mar 7 11:03:01 EST 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 9th thru THURSDAY, MARCH 15th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
 JOHN CARTER OF MARS (PG13) Finally Edgar Rice Burroughs' adventure books hit the screen!!

 W./E. (R) The love story that shook the world! Wallis and Edward upend the British monarchy!

CONTINUING:
 Dr. Suess' THE LORAX (PG) The biggest hit movie in the world right now! Bring all the kids you can find!

COMING SOON:
  MARCH 16th: ACT OF VALOR (R) The huge Navy SEAL hit! For ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!

Thurs, March 22nd @ MIDNIGHT!!  THE HUNGER GAMES (PG13) Advance collectible tickets on-sale NOW!!

 MARCH 30th: MIRROR, MIRROR (PG) Julia Roberts in the Snow White story for the WHOLE FAMILY!!

 FRIDAY the 13th FREE SHOW @ 10:30 PM!! THE INNKEEPERS (R) Troy Taylor personally presents a new ghost story that has his seal of approval on it! It's FREE and it will give you the shiverin' fits! NO TICKETS NEEDED, JUST COME ON DOWN!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NOW SELLING COLLECTIBLE ADVANCE TICKETS FOR "THE HUNGER GAMES"
STARTS MIDNIGHT, THURSDAY, MARCH 22nd!!
MIDNIGHT ADVANCE TICKETS: $10

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

JOHN CARTER OF MARS (PG13)
Its remarkable to think that these astounding adventure tales by Tarzan author Edgar Rice Burroughs are only now seeing life on the cinema screen!
They were written 100 years ago!
Truth be told, we really haven't had the technology to do them justice until recent years.

>From filmmaker Andrew Stanton comes John Carter-a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). John Carter is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

JOHN CARTER OF MARS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (2:00) - (5:000 - 8:00
MON thru THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

W./E. (R)
It is still rather mind-boggling to believe this story really happened!
For those of you who loved THE KING'S SPEECH, look at this as a "prequel" to the events portrayed in that film.
What would YOU give up for your one true love?
What would YOU not give up under any circumstance?
Is there any boundary?
What if YOU were the King of England?
Would YOU give up your throne for your lady love?
THIS STORY IS TRUE, FOLKS!
A fine example of the adage "truth is stranger than fiction".

W.E. tells the story of two fragile but determined women - Wally Winthrop and Wallis Simpson - separated by more than six decades. In 1998, lonely New Yorker Wally Winthrop (Abbie Cornish) is obsessed with what she perceives as the ultimate love story: King Edward's VIII's abdication of the British throne for the woman he loved, American divorcée Wallis Simpson. But Wally's research, including several visits to the Sotheby's auction of the Windsor Estate, reveals that the couple's life together was not as perfect as she thought. Weaving back and forth in time, W.E. intertwines Wally's journey of discovery in New York with the story of Wallis (Andrea Riseborough) and Edward (James D'Arcy), from the glamorous early days of their romance to the slow unraveling of their lives in the decades that followed.
W./E.  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (2:05) - (5:05) - 8:05
MON thru WED: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dr. Seuss' THE LORAX (PG)
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax is an adaptation of Dr. Seuss' classic tale of a forest creature who shares the enduring power of hope. The animated adventure follows the journey of a boy as he searches for the one thing that will enable him to win the affection of the girl of his dreams. To find it he must discover the story of the Lorax, the grumpy yet charming creature who fights to protect his world.
Dr. Suess' THE LORAX  (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
MON thru WED: 6:15
THURS: 6:45
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For the missing---

As we begin our 15th year of continuous operation, it is with some measure of bittersweet that I reflect on those good customers who are no longer with us, either through death, infirmity, or distance.

That's the sad thing with customers of a long-lived business: We get to see them come and go...
Circumstances change; a job, a divorce (or a marriage), a re-location, an illness, or a summons from the eternal sleep...
All result in us losing a solid citizen of "Avonia".

Sometimes, those who have not left permanently, will come back to visit.
They seem so happy to see THE AVON still there; hale and hearty.
(And that idiot who yells from the back of the auditorium about the previews).

I think it matters to them that, in this ever-devolving world of bottom-line myopia, cutthroat competition, and increasingly impersonal business dynamics, THE AVON remains as constant as the Northern Star (to paraphrase Joni Mitchell).

And yet...
The reason we humans have such a difficult time imagining the infinite, is we live in a world of finite.
Every earthly thing we know and love is mortal.
All of our life's journey awaits that "The End" title, and roll the credits.

But, it is the style in which we get there that makes all the difference.

THE AVON THEATER will be 100 years old in just a few years (Nov. 28th, 2016 to be exact), and its sole purpose for being  has been to entertain you.
I have every reason to believe we will see that 100th year anniversary.
(And, God willing, I will be there to see it with you!)

But, we have lost many along the way.
This is me thinking of all of them.

The missing.

Come See Me Soon, Folks!!