[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---JUNE 15th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jun 14 10:37:53 EDT 2012

NOTE: The Avon's parking garage (located across Water St from the Avon's main entrance) is indeed OPEN!
Workers are doing God-knows-what on the main floor, but, if you go in the WEST ENTRANCE on North St, you can
park on floors 2, 3, & 4 (and the ramps).
The hoo-hahs at the city assure us it "won't be long", and "after this last level, the garage is FINISHED"... Let us hope that is correct, and all of the other work downtown is finally completed SOON.
All the cheer-leading and rah-rah-rah in the world can't placate merchants who have been "embargoed" from their customers for a dangerously long period of time!
This prolonged downtown "beautification" (read that as "massive grants burning a hole in the city's pocket") is running very close to a "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" scenario.
And THAT is what the local media have yet to tell you!

WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 15th thru THURSDAY,  JUNE 21st  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre
OPENING:
  ROCK OF AGES (PG13) Tom Cruise and an all-star cast in the '80's Broadway hit musical!

CONTINUING:
 THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13) Judi Dench and Maggie Smith in the one you've been waiting for! ENDS SOON!!

 PROMETHEUS (PG13) Ace director Ridley Scott takes you back to sci-fi adventure!! ENDS SOON!!

COMING SOON:
 JUNE 22nd: ABRAHAM LINCOLN-VAMPIRE HUNTER (PG13) Yes, you read that correctly. BIG FUN! BIG THRILLS!

JUNE 22nd: BRAVE (PG) The newest from Pixar!! Bring all the kids you can find!!

 JUNE 29th: PEOPLE LIKE US (PG13) Wonderful new family-saga! Michelle Pfeiffer & Chris Pine star!

 JULY 6th: MOONRISE KINGDOM (PG13) Bruce Willis, Billy Murray, Edward Norton and more!!!

  JULY 20th: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (PG13) The final entry in the BATMAN trilogy! Biggest hit of the year?

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

ROCK OF AGES (PG13)
THE BROADWAY MUSICAL SENSATION COMES TO THE SILVER SCREEN!!
Rock of Ages tells the story of small town girl Sherrie and city boy Drew, who meet on the Sunset Strip while pursuing their Hollywood dreams. Their rock 'n' roll romance is told through the heart-pounding hits of some of the greatest hitmakers of the '80's! --
An ALL-STAR CAST, Including TOM CRUISE, ALEC BALDWIN & CATHERINE ZETA-JONES!!
ROCK OF AGES  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PROMETHEUS (R) Ridley Scott, director of Alien and Blade Runner, returns to the genre he helped define. With Prometheus, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.
IN SPACE, NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
PROMETHEUS (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, 100% BONA FIDE, LAST CHANCE SHOWS!!!

THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13)
Here is one of the most "definitive" of the genre known as "Avon movies" we have played in quite a while!!
JUDI DENCH, MAGGIE SMITH and a whole bunch of British stars you know and love all come together in this wonderful comedy about a group of seniors going to India, and all the trouble they get in to!
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel follows a group of British retirees who decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.

Have you been starving for a movie geared to actual, bona fide, thinking ADULTS??
Are you already sick and tired of all the special effects driven, spandex-wearing hoo-hah that permeates "summer" at the movies?
THIS IS FOR YOU!!!!!
HURRY!! POSITIVELY ENDS WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20th!!

THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Film classes start TONIGHT, June 14th @ 6:30!!
This is Part TEN (!!) of what is my most popular screening and discussion series, "OVERLOOKED FILMS"!!

OVERLOOKED FILMS is cool because it can be virtually ANYTHING, from dramas, to classics, to thrillers, to westerns, to epics...you get the picture!
As long as it is a quality film that got "overlooked", or slipped through the cracks somehow, it qualifies!

You can also enroll in-person TONIGHT at the first class when a Richland official who will be there to get you started!
Just come a little bit early, and it won't take long to get you signed up!

OVERLOOKED FILMS has always been our largest class.
Many see it as a groovy way to pass those summer nights!
It's a great way to meet people from all walks of life too!
I hope I see you there TONIGHT!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NEW AT THE AVON!! OUR LIST OF NEW SNACKS CONTINUES!
We dazzled, thrilled and confused you with our Bacon Popcorn last winter and now we have added a brand new treat to the list -- starting this weekend!
Our newest, made-to-order deliciousness whipped up by Avon 'Godfather' TROY TAYLOR is our CINNAMON TOAST POPCORN! You take the world's best, Avon popcorn, drench it with real, top-of-the-line clarified butter and then mix in a delicious mixture of cinnamon and sugar that's out of this world! We promise that it will bring back memories of breakfast as a kid, combined with a sweet and savory treat that will have you licking your fingers for more! Each batch is made to order just for you and it's only $3! You're gonna love it!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our recent price increase really isn't bad, and certainly not in the manner we see the "other guys" raise theirs regularly without any notice to anyone!
EFFECTIVE NOW:

MATINEES (all ages, all shows before 6 PM): $6.50
SENIORS (age 60 and up): $6.50
CHILDREN: (age 12 and under): $6.50
ADULTS: (after 6 PM): $8.00
VIP PASSES (10 movie pass): $60

When you analyze this, you will see the following:
1.) Our "senior" age is lower at 60, compared with the "other guys" senior qualifier at 65
2.) The Adult price has only raised 50 cents.
3.) The senior/child/ matinee price has only raised 75 cents
4.) The VIP pass can still be amortized out at $6 per show, no age group specified.

As mentioned, it has been many years since we raised prices, and we really hate to do it.
I hope we have given you good enough service over the years, that you will roll with the miniscule punch here!
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for you and you and...YOU!!