[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---JULY, 13th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Jul 11 13:01:16 EDT 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY, JULY 13th thru THURSDAY,  JULY 19th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre
OPENING:
 JULY 13th: ICE AGE 4: CONTINENTAL DRIFT (PG) Their BAAAACK!! Another summer family-fun film at The Avon!!

 MIDNIGHT!! JULY 19th: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (PG13) The final entry in the BATMAN trilogy! Biggest hit of the year?

CONTINUING:
  MOONRISE KINGDOM (PG13) Bruce Willis, Billy Murray, Edward Norton and more!!! DON'T MISS IT!!!

 PEOPLE LIKE US (PG13) Wonderful new family-saga! Michelle Pfeiffer & Chris Pine star! ENDS WED!

COMING SOON:
 AUG. 10th: THE BOURNE LEGACY (PG13) The newest entry in the incredible Bourne series!

 COMING SOON!! ANNA KARENINA (PG13) The classic tale is re-made for the new generations.
...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MIDNIGHT PREMIERE THURSDAY, JULY 19th!!
THE BIGGEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!!
ADVANCE COLLECTIBLE TICKETS ON SALE NOW!!
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (PG13)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NOTE FROM SKIP: IF YOU MISS THIS ONE, OR PROCRASTINATE ABOUT IT, OR THINK YOU WON'T LIKE IT, YOU WILL BE IN BIG TROUBLE WITH ME!!!
MOONRISE KINGDOM(PG13)
Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom tells the story of two twelve-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing off-shore -- and the peaceful island community is turned upside down in more ways than anyone can handle. Bruce Willis plays the local sheriff. Edward Norton is a Khaki Scout troop leader. Bill Murray and Frances McDormand portray the young girl's parents. The cast also includes Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, and Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward as the boy and girl.
AND, ITS ONLY AT THE AVON TOO!!
MOONRISE KINGDOM (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++

ICE AGE 4: CONTINENTAL DRIFT  (PG)
Scrat's nutty pursuit of the cursed acorn, which he's been after since the dawn of time, has world-changing consequences - a continental cataclysm that triggers the greatest adventure of all for Manny, Diego and Sid. In the wake of these upheavals, Sid reunites with his cantankerous Granny, and the herd encounters a ragtag menagerie of seafaring pirates determined to stop them from returning home.
ICE AGE 4: CONTINENTAL DRIFT  (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++

PEOPLE LIKE US  (PG13)
>From DreamWorks Pictures comes People Like Us, a drama/comedy about family, inspired by true events, starring Chris Pine as Sam, a twenty-something, fast-talking salesman, whose latest deal collapses on the day he learns that his father has suddenly died. Against his wishes, Sam is called home, where he must put his father's estate in order and reconnect with his estranged family. In the course of fulfilling his father's last wishes, Sam uncovers a startling secret that turns his entire world upside down: He has a 30-year-old sister Frankie whom he never knew about (Elizabeth Banks). As their relationship develops, Sam is forced to rethink everything he thought he knew about his family-and re-examine his own life choices in the process.
PEOPLE LIKE US (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 7:00 (ENDS WED!)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, in this summer crammed with sequels, prequels and wholly unnecessary remakes and reboots, comes an original little movie that is standing discerning audiences on their heads!
That's right, I said "discerning", because if you are looking for the same ol', same ol', no-surprises, no-thought-required, standard "mall" fare, then MOONRISE KINGDOM is NOT for you!

BUT...if you are sick and tired of the lack of ORIGINAL THOUGHT (what a concept!) demonstrated by the suits that make the movie decisions in Hollywood, well, then....
MOONRISE KINGDOM IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!!

This always delightful, and constantly enthralling little movie that stars none other than BRUCE WILLIS, BILL MURRAY, EDWARD NORTON, and a whole bunch more, has already won the hearts of many Decatur moviegoers, and YOU need to join them!

Send the overpaid Hollywood executives a message by coming to see MOONRISE KINGDOM!
Show these goons we are not all of an adolescent mind-set here in "fly-over" country (as they so blithely characterize us).

So, how's that for a RANT, huh?

P.S. MOONRISE KINGDOM is ONLY at THE AVON too!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Whether Goest "Tightwad Tuesday"??
The time has come to count-down for our incredible TIGHTWAD TUESDAY for another Summer.
As it looks right now, August 7th will be the last TIGHTWAD TUESDAY until next year.

There are some movies coming in August from studios that prohibit bargain shows like that, and its best to simply deem August 7th as "the end of the Summer".
It really kinda is, anyway.
Many of our college girls will be going back to school in mid-August, and our staff will settle in to our year-round crew.

So, the count-down begins!
FOUR TIGHTWAD TUESDAYS TO GO!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DECATUR CELEBRATION
New Celebration honcho, Lori Sturgill, has done an extraordinary job of revamping this annual fest, and she tried every way in the world to include THE AVON in the festivities...
However, last year's Avon event with a local bank involved just didn't seem to fit us very well.

This year, for the first time in over 10 years, we are planning on being closed for that FRI, SAT & SUN.

I plan to spend the entire weekend in my pool, and not even go near downtown.
(Now, watch, it will rain all weekend! Just my luck!)

I hope all of you will go down and sample the goodies and take in the music!

Don't follow my lead and stay away, because remember, I've been working downtown EVERY weekend for the past 14 years!!
It will seem like science-fiction for me to actually have a weekend off!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DOWNTOWN BEAUTIFICATION HOO-HAH
It's just about completed!
All the work and dust and inconvenience is almost finished!
And, man does it look GREAT!!

My heart goes out to the businesses who couldn't survive the restricted access and parking.
(The current issue of the Decatur Tribune reports on this).

But, for those of us who remain (and that is MOST of us) we will see a revamped and better downtown!

Don't forget the parking garage across from the Avon belongs to ALL OF US!
It has not been sold, or given to ADM!
ADM was granted by a city council decree in October of 2010 the exclusive use of it from MON thru FRI for the hours of 6AM to 5PM,...
And, that is it!

There is still plenty of parking flexibility for the Avon movie-goers!
(Plus, have you noticed there is more parking on the street now?)
Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for you and you and...YOU!!