[Avon-theatre-news] Fw: AVON THEATER NEWS---JAN. 20th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Jan 18 15:35:17 EST 2012

See corrected effective dates below.
As was pointed out by a few of you, I must think its still December!
(Actually, I did that on purpose to see if any of you are reading this!)
----- Original Message -----
From: Skip Huston
To: avon-theatre-news at theavon.com
Cc: Ripper Office
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:49 PM
Subject: AVON THEATER NEWS---JAN. 20th, 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY, JAN. 20th thru THURSDAY, JAN. 26th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
 EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE (PG13) Tom Hanks & Sandra Bullock in a moving & heartfelt saga.

 TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY (R) The NEW version of the famous spy novel! This is excellent!

CONTINUING:

 THE IRON LADY (PG13) Meryl Streep is Oscar-bound for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher!

COMING SOON:
 THE ARTIST (PG13) Yes, they CAN make them like they used to! Here is one of most talked-about films of the year!

 +++++++++++++++++++

EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE (PG13)
Oskar (Thomas Horn) is convinced that his father (Tom Hanks), who died in the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, has left a final message for him hidden somewhere in the city. Feeling disconnected from his grieving mother (Sandra Bullock) and driven by a relentlessly active mind that refuses to believe in things that can't be observed, Oskar begins searching New York City for the lock that fits a mysterious key he found in his father's closet. His journey through the five boroughs takes him beyond his own loss to a greater understanding of the observable world around him.
EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY (R)
GOLDEN GLOBE WINNER!!
Based on the classic novel of the same name, the international thriller is set at the height of the Cold War years of the mid-20th Century. George Smiley (Gary Oldman), a disgraced British spy, is rehired in secret by his government - which fears that the British Secret Intelligence Service, a.k.a. MI-6, has been compromised by a double agent working for the Soviets.
THIS IS ANOTHER "AVON EXCLUSIVE", FOLKS!!
‘The Descendants’ is the best movie I’ve seen this year. I hope hordes of people go to see it…and that it inspires other filmmakers.
Watching a film as mature, moving, original and unpredictable as ‘The Descendants’ renews my faith in American movies, and reaffirms Alexander Payne’s status as one of our most gifted storytellers. He has also bestowed the gift of an exceptional role on George Clooney, who gives the best performance of his career. Clooney can be a charmer, but here he embodies a character devoid of that trait. He’s a successful lawyer in Hawaii who, as he freely admits, has become so consumed by work that he has neglected his wife and two daughters. Fate intervenes when his wife is injured in a water-skiing accident that puts her in a coma. Overnight, he is forced to become a full-time father to his alienated teenage daughter (Shailene Woodley) and her younger sister, who needs to be sheltered from the dire news about her mom. In the midst of this, Clooney also has to make a momentous decision about a huge parcel of virgin land on the island of Kauai that is owned by his large, diverse family. The challenge in describing the film is that it doesn’t neatly fit into any pigeonhole. It’s a serious movie that happens to have a sense of humor, because Payne and his collaborators see the absurdity in everyday existence. They know that life can turn tragic in the blink of an eye and an encounter between two characters can play out as high drama or be undercut by humor. That’s one of the qualities that distinguishes all of Payne’s movies and makes this one so special. (The screenplay was first developed by Nat Faxon and Jim Rash from a little-known novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings.)Hawaii is more than just a backdrop for the story; it is part and parcel of the characters’ lives, which becomes clearer as the story progresses. That’s not to say that there aren’t breathtaking beauty shots peppered throughout the film; they help us understand what this island paradise means to the people who live there full-time and call it home.Although he’s inevitably described as “director Alexander Payne,” it is his writing, usually in collaboration with Jim Taylor, which helps define the filmmaker’s sensibilities. While he’s not above making fun of his characters (think of the hapless schoolteacher played by Matthew Broderick in ‘Election’, or the often-clueless Jack Nicholson in ‘About Schmidt’) he never trivializes them. There is an unexpectedly funny moment in ‘The Descendants’ in which Clooney, fired up with rage, impulsively runs to a friend’s house…but because he’s wearing flip-flops, the dramatic impetus for the scene is somewhat defused by audience laughter at the sheer incongruity of the moment. That’s Payne in a nutshell. Clooney’s character isn’t a bad person; he’s imperfect, like most of us, and in the face of some extraordinary challenges, he tries to summon his better self. That’s what I love about ‘The Descendants’: it makes us reflect about how we conduct our lives, and how we might strive to be better.‘The Descendants’ is the best movie I’ve seen this year. I hope hordes of people go to see it…and that it inspires other filmmakers. Watching a film as mature, moving, original and unpredictable as ‘The Descendants’ renews my faith in American movies, and reaffirms Alexander Payne’s status as one of our most gifted storytellers. He has also bestowed the gift of an exceptional role on George Clooney, who gives the best performance of his career. Clooney can be a charmer, but here he embodies a character devoid of that trait. He’s a successful lawyer in Hawaii who, as he freely admits, has become so consumed by work that he has neglected his wife and two daughters. Fate intervenes when his wife is injured in a water-skiing accident that puts her in a coma. Overnight, he is forced to become a full-time father to his alienated teenage daughter (Shailene Woodley) and her younger sister, who needs to be sheltered from the dire news about her mom. In the midst of this, Clooney also has to make a momentous decision about a huge parcel of virgin land on the island of Kauai that is owned by his large, diverse family. The challenge in describing the film is that it doesn’t neatly fit into any pigeonhole. It’s a serious movie that happens to have a sense of humor, because Payne and his collaborators see the absurdity in everyday existence. They know that life can turn tragic in the blink of an eye and an encounter between two characters can play out as high drama or be undercut by humor. That’s one of the qualities that distinguishes all of Payne’s movies and makes this one so special. (The screenplay was first developed by Nat Faxon and Jim Rash from a little-known novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings.)Hawaii is more than just a backdrop for the story; it is part and parcel of the characters’ lives, which becomes clearer as the story progresses. That’s not to say that there aren’t breathtaking beauty shots peppered throughout the film; they help us understand what this island paradise means to the people who live there full-time and call it home.TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:05
 +++++++++++++++++++

THE IRON LADY (PG13)
GOLDEN GLOBE WINNER!!!
The Iron Lady is a surprising and intimate portrait of Margaret Thatcher (Meryl Streep), the first and only female Prime Minister of The United Kingdom. One of the 20th century's most famous and influential women, Thatcher came from nowhere to smash through barriers of gender and class to be heard in a male dominated world.
THIS IS ANOTHER "AVON EXCLUSIVE", FOLKS!!
THE IRON LADY (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Richland-at-the-Avon FILM CLASSES RESUME THURSDAY, Jan. 26th!!!
Jan. 26th thru March 15th. Cost $80.
Enrolment forms are in our lobbies (or you can pay at the first class; just come a little early).
THURSDAYS @ 6:30 PM.
THIS COURSE IS...
"HOLLYWOOD ON HOLLYWOOD---PART 2"
In the history of the movies, there has been no greater topic than when Hollywood turns the microscope around on itself and shows you the inner workings and lives of some famous icons and behind-the-scenes dynamics of the silver screen.
Part One of this course was done over 6 years ago, and it is high time it was revisited!!

In the opening part #1 of this course, we showed such films as "Sunset Blvd" and "The Bad and the Beautiful", but we barely scratched the surface with that first series of 8 films...
Now, after instructor Skip Huston has painstakingly researched and reflected, Part 2 has 8 films that will cover all aspects and all eras of the movie world. Some of them are bona fide classics, and some of them are quite rare and hardly seen.

As has been done for the past 11 years of these film classes at The Avon for Richland, we NEVER divulge beforehand the movies you will be seeing, but, rest assured you are in good hands with the choices!

Join a whole lot of nice people with a love of movies in common, as we screen and discuss 8 films of "Hollywood on Hollywood"!! PART TWO!!!

We hope to see you there!!
Come See Me This Weekend!!
I'll be looking for you and you and...YOU!!