[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---FEB. 10th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Feb 8 13:55:03 EST 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 10th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 16th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
 SAFE HOUSE (R) Denzel Washington & Ryan Reynolds gripping thriller!!

 RED TAILS (PG13) The heroic true-life WWII story!! ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!

SNEAK PREVIEW VALENTINE'S DAY:
 THIS MEANS WAR (PG13) Reese Witherspoon juggling two dangerous men! Sneaks Valentine's Day!

CONTINUING:
  THE ARTIST (PG13) Nominated for TEN OSCARS including "Best Picture"!! ENDS SOON!!

COMING SOON:
Lots of good movies!!
(...but, we ain't tellin'...yet!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SAFE HOUSE (R)
Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds star in the action-thriller Safe House. Washington plays the most dangerous renegade from the CIA, who comes back onto the grid after a decade on the run. When the South African safe house he's remanded to is attacked by mercenaries, a rookie operative (Reynolds) escapes with him. Now, the unlikely allies must stay alive long enough to uncover who wants them dead.
SAFE HOUSE  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
NO THURSDAY SHOWING
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RED TAILS  (PG13)
ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!
Better late than never, right?
We had every intention of playing this when it was first released a few weeks ago, but then Oscar Season hit us (like it always does) and our screens were all taken with the big nominated films. We had to pass on this and a few others we MAY still get back to!

I know how many of you tell me how you HATE to brave the mean screens of those "other guys", and I'm sorry we don't have more screens to cover all the movies so you wouldn't ever have to!
(But, maybe it s a good thing every once in a while to have you go "out there" and see the outrageous prices, the poor quality snack items, and the virtually non-existent customer service, to appreciate THE AVON even more! I'm just sayin'...)

1944. To help win the war, the Pentagon brass has no choice but to consider the untested African-American pilots of the experimental Tuskegee training program. Just as the young Tuskegee men are about to be shut down and shipped back home, they are given the ultimate chance to show their courage. These intrepid young airmen take to the skies to fight for their country - and the fate of the free world.
RED TAILS  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
MON: 7:00
TUES: No Showing Tuesday Due to Sneak Preview
WED & THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE ARTIST  (PG13)
When the Oscars are announced later this month, and THE ARTIST wins "Best Picture", along with a lot of other awards, you are going to be sooooooo sorry you didn't come to see it!

I KNOW so many of you had already made up your minds you weren't going to like it, and that is such an unfortunate thing.

Well, this is most likely the last week for it. We've already moved it to the Twins for the 3rd week.
When it wins all those awards, we probably won't bring it back.
These are your last chances to see it at THE AVON, after that, you are on your own in the wilderness of multiplex limbo!
THE ARTIST  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
MON thru THURS: 7:15  (ENDS THURSDAY!)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THIS MEANS WAR (PG13)
SNEAK PREVIEW VALENTINE'S DAY!! 7:00 PM ONLY!!
The world's deadliest CIA operatives are inseparable partners and best friends until they fall for the same woman. Having once helped bring down entire enemy nations, they are now employing their incomparable skills and an endless array of high-tech gadgetry against their greatest nemesis ever - each other.
THIS MEANS WAR (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
SNEAK PREVIEW TUESDAY, VALENTINE'S DAY: 7:00 PM ONLY!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok, so all of you make sure you buy the Herald & Review this Saturday!!
(In fact, I can't fathom why everyone in town doesn't get the paper every day! Seriously, how are you going to keep up with what our elected officials and city administrators are doing to us - excuse me "for us" - if you don't keep an eye on them?)
On SATURDAY, the Herald & Review's annual READER'S CHOICE poll results are announced in a dandy insert, and you'll get to see what reader's have voted are the BEST in the Decatur area!

Since I am forbidden to divulge any winners I know of (and I don't know that many...yet) I know I am going to be tearing open the paper on Saturday to see the winners, and the..."others".

However, I have a few categories of my own that are NOT in the Reader's Choice poll, but they are winners just the same:

BEST POPCORN: The Avon Theater
BEST THEATER MANAGER: Ashley Petty
BEST POPCORN HOSTESSES: The Avon Girls
BEST LOCALLY-BASED INTERNATIONALLY-KNOWN AUTHOR: Troy Taylor
BEST CUPCAKES: Fat Cat Cakes
BEST BOOKSTORE: The Old Book Barn
BEST WIFE: "Saint" Susan Burke-Huston
BEST KISSER OF THE BLARNEY STONE: Me
Come See Me Soon, Folks!
I'm Looking for you, and you, and...especially...YOU!!
- Skip Huston