[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---DEC. 7th, 2012

AVON THEATER 3 Skip at theAvon.com
Wed Dec 5 15:06:22 EST 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  DEC. 7th  thru THURSDAY,  DEC. 13th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OUR NEW "QUICK LOOK" SHOWTIME PANEL!!

OPENING:

   PLAYING FOR KEEPS (PG13) Gerard Butler, Jessica Biel & Catherine Zeta-Jones in a heart-warming tale of 2nd chance love.
 STARTS THURS, DEC. 13th @ MIDNIGHT!!  THE HOBBIT (PG13) Travel back to middle earth for more adventures!!

CONTINUING:
  LINCOLN (PG13) Steven Spielberg's epic chronicle of the last 4 months of Lincoln's life! Masterful!
 SKYFALL (PG13) 007 James Bond is BACK!! One of the BEST James Bond adventures of them ALL!!!

COMING SOON:
 DEC. 14th: HITCHCOCK (PG13) Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren star in this true Hollywood story!
  DEC. 25th CHRISTMAS DAY LES MISERABLES (PG13) Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe & Anne Hathaway bring the epic musical to the screen!
 DEC. 25th CHRISTMAS DAY PARENTAL GUIDANCE (PG) Billy Crystal, Bette Midler & Marisa Tomei in a holiday family comedy!
   JAN. 11th: ANNA KARENINA (PG13) The newest adaptation of the classic novel of love and sacrifice!

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LINCOLN (PG13)   Historical Epic  150 min   (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)
Steven Spielberg directs Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln, a revealing drama that focuses on the 16th President's tumultuous final months in office. In a nation divided by war and the strong winds of change, Lincoln pursues a course of action designed to end the war, unite the country and abolish slavery. With the moral courage and fierce determination to succeed, his choices during this critical moment will change the fate of generations to come.
Thanks in part to a phenomenal performance from Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln is a witty, dignified portrait of the American icon that immerses the audience in its world and entertains even as it informs.
LINCOLN (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++

PLAYING FOR KEEPS (PG13)    Romance  95 min.   (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

Gerard Butler, Jessica Biel, Uma Thurman, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Dennis Quaid star in Playing for Keeps, a romantic comedy about a charming, down-on-his luck former soccer star (Butler) who returns home to put his life back together. Looking for a way to rebuild his relationship with his son, he gets roped into coaching the boy's soccer team. But his attempts to finally become an "adult" are met with hilarious challenges from the attractive "soccer moms" who pursue him at every turn.
PLAYING FOR KEEPS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++

THE HOBBIT (PG13)    Adventure  166 min.   (not including 8 to 12 min of previews and/or cartoon)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey follows title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels.
THE HOBBIT (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")
MIDNIGHT PREMIERE!! THURS, DEC. 13th!!
NEXT WEEK'S SHOWTIMES TO BE ANNOUNCED!!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SKYFALL (PG13) Action/Drama--Running time 143 min (not including 8 to 12 min of previews)
I remember a gazillion years ago, back in the early 1960's, going to see a movie called "Dr. No" at a Decatur movie theater (not the Avon) and not having any idea what I was about to see...
Oh, sure, I knew President Kennedy was a fan of the Ian Fleming Bond books, but I wasn't quite sure this was something I was going to like.
After all, I was raised on a steady diet of monster movies, and, if it wasn't Frankenstein, Dracula, or the Wolfman, I wasn't too interested.

Then, "that music" came on, and what began was a 50 year span of James Bond movies!
(And when Ursula Andress came out of the ocean in that bikini, well...)

Yes, Sean Connery was a cool James Bond, and Roger Moore was a bit of a winky-wink dandy.
One-time-only Bond George Lazenby was really pretty good in retrospect.
Timothy Dalton was the first Bond since Sean Connery to fully exude a palpable sense of danger, but Pierce Brosnan was more of a distillant of Roger Moore...
Then came Daniel Craig.
SKYFALL (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $6.50 "Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++

And, all of a sudden, its the holiday season!
I don't know if its my imagination, or what, but it seems there are a lot more decorated homes this year!
I know Susan has our house looking like the epitome of Yuletide!

We have a staff Christmas party at our home every year, and we not only invite current staff, but staffers from past years.
Its always good to see our Avon girls from years back!

The movie season is really heating up, and anyone who thinks Hollywood is in trouble only had to look at the statistics for this past Thanksgiving, which was the largest in recorded history!
Hopefully, our Christmas will follow suit.
There are still a LOT of great movies to be released in the next few weeks!

By the way, if you haven't seen LINCOLN yet, you better get it in gear!
I know some of you have been waiting for the crowds to die down, but....that ain't gonna happen!

We WILL have to drop LINCOLN soon to make room for the Christmas movies!
We don't want to drop it, and in fact, we can just keep playing LINCOLN for the next 12 months as far as I am concerned!
But, we got to make room!
SOOOOOOO, GET THEE DOWN TO SEE "LINCOLN" THIS WEEKEND OR YOU'LL BE SOOOOO SORRY!

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm looking for you and you and...YOU!!!

Anybody out there in Avonia know why I would have these pictures here?
Guess the answer and win...absolutely nothing!
BUT...you will know in your heart how groovy and plugged into the loop you are!
Email me and tell me what you think the answer is!