[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---APRIL 13th, 2012

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Apr 11 15:04:16 EDT 2012

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  APRIL 13th thru THURSDAY,  APRIL 19th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre
OPENING:
 THE THREE STOOGES (PG)

  JEFF WHO LIVES AT HOME (R)

SPECIAL FREE EVENT:
  FRIDAY the 13th FREE SHOW @ 10:30 PM!! THE INNKEEPERS (R) Troy Taylor personally presents a new ghost story that has his seal of approval on it! It's FREE and it will give you the shiverin' fits! NO TICKETS NEEDED, JUST COME ON DOWN!!!

CONTINUING:
  THE HUNGER GAMES (PG13) Here it is! The BIG one! STILL here for an amazing 4 weeks!

COMING SOON:

 APRIL 20th: THE LUCKY ONE (PG13)

 APRIL 27th: THE RAVEN (R)

  APRIL 27th: THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT (R)

  MAY 25th: THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (PG13)

...and MORE coming as we fill in the dates!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE THREE STOOGES (PG)
Left on a nun's doorstep, Larry, Curly and Moe grow up finger-poking, nyuk-nyuking and woo-woo-wooing their way to uncharted levels of knuckleheaded misadventure. Out to save their childhood home, only The Three Stooges could become embroiled in an oddball murder plot...while also stumbling into starring in a phenomenally successful TV reality show.
Here are the NEW adventures of those zany, so-dumb-they're-funny knuckleheads!!
RATED "PG", for the WHOLE FAMILY!!
THE THREE STOOGES (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

JEFF WHO LIVES AT HOME (R)
ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!
On his way to the store to buy wood glue, Jeff looks for signs from the universe to determine his path. However, a series of comedic and unexpected events leads him to cross paths with his family in the strangest of locations and circumstances. Jeff just may find the meaning of his life...and if he's lucky, pick up the wood glue as well.
A VERY-HIGHLY ACCLAIMED AND QUIRKY LITTLE "AVON MOVIE"
JEFF WHO LIVES AT HOME  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE HUNGER GAMES (PG13)
HURRY!! ENDS SOON!!
Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains. Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Thrilling and superbly acted, The Hunger Games captures the dramatic violence, raw emotion, and ambitious scope of its source novel.
THE HUNGER GAMES  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, I hope all of you had a nice Easter holiday.
We actually closed on Easter Sunday for the first time since 1999, and that was weird!
(It was also wonderful to spend time with my grandchildren, and my family).
----------------
The downtown beautification is in full-swing!
That means construction is everywhere in the south sector; sidewalks torn up, streets closed, boardwalks and general chaos...
It will be TREMENDOUS when it is finally done, and I sure hope all of you will continue to patronize all those merchants down there while this hassle is happening!
OUR block was done last November, and I know you all agree it looks great!
(I know you also agree it took WAAAY TOO LONG for that contractor to get it done too!)
Remember the old adage: You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs!
Hang in there, it won't be much longer.
----------------
Let's talk about the parking garage across from the Avon...
The city council in October of 2010 gave ADM permission to use this garage exclusively from MONDAY THRU FRIDAY from 6 AM to 5 PM.
REMEMBER THAT, FOLKS: MONDAY THRU FRIDAY, 6 AM to 5 PM!!
You need to remember that, because apparently the ADM sign-painter and the ADM person who gave him the instructions did NOT!

FIRST, we noticed the hours said "6 AM to 6 PM" on the sign!
After I contacted the Decatur City Manager, the hours were changed to the correct "6 AM to 5 PM" (that is what the 2010 city council so generously granted them).

NOW, I see the sign does NOT state "MONDAY thru FRIDAY"!!!!
So, the implication to the public is that ADM has the garage for SEVEN DAYS A WEEK!!
WRONG!!
Now, understand, I am a big supporter of ADM, and I appreciate all they have done for Decatur, but they do NOT make willy-nilly decisions with city-owned property!
-I think there is something called "due process"!!
ADM needs to get these signs corrected, or I can only suggest the current Decatur city council re-open and take up this whole issue again.

I happen to know the public is not too happy about giving a tax-payer paid city property to a private industry anyway, and maybe a re-examination with more transparency is needed here?

The entire Decatur city council receives this newsletter, and a few of them even READ it!
I wonder if they are aware about all this brouhaha with ADM and parking garage B?
Maybe they are NOW.
I'm Looking for ALL of you this weekend, folks!!
Especially YOU!!