[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---AUG. 9th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Sep 7 09:52:04 EDT 2011

WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUG. 9th thru THURSDAY, AUG. 15th  ONLY!!

Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
 CONTAGION (PG13)  Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Gywneth Paltrow and more!!

CONTINUING:
 THE DEBT (R) Helen Mirren leads a great cast in this Spy thriller that spans 30 years!

  THE HELP (PG13) The #1 movie in America at Decatur's #1 theater!!

COMING SOON:
 STARTS SEPT. 16th: DRIVE (R)

 STARTS SEPT. 23rd: KILLER ELITE (R)

 STARTS SEPT. 30th: DREAM HOUSE (PG13)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CONTAGION (PG13)

Some of you may have met and talked with director Steven Soderbergh when he was in town with MATT DAMON to film "THE INFORMANT". As uneven as that film was (and, let's all admit it could've been a whole lot better) there is no denying one inescapable fact: Steven Sodergergh can make some really good movies! Just a cursory examination of his work will reveal such films as TRAFFIC, OUT OF SIGHT, The re-boot of the OCEANS 11 series, ERIN BROCKOVICH, the little-seen KING OF THE HILL (not the TV series, but a very endearing 1930's depression drama that I played in my Richland film classes), and, the film that first brought him to the forefront, SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE.
To be sure, there are some stinkers in there too, and some obscure artsy things...
CONTAGION is one of his good ones!
The jaw-dropping cast of MATT DAMON, JUDE LAW, KATE WINSLET, JENNIFER EHLE (who, you say? One of my personal faves), ELLIOT GOULD, LAWRENCE FISHBURNE, Oscar-winner MARION COTILLARD, GWYNETH PALTROW, and...well, you get the picture! Just like in TRAFFIC, where the cast list went on and on, this is another one to take notice of.
And the story? An action-thriller centered on the threat posed by a deadly disease and an international team of doctors contracted by the CDC to deal with the outbreak.
This is the real stuff, folks!
Early reviews are very favorable!
CONTAGION  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE HELP (PG13)
What can I say? This is the #1 movie in the country, and the #1 movie in Decatur, and the #1 theater showing it!
See it once, and you'll want to see it again!
See it twice, and you'll want to bring friends to see it one more time.
THE HELP is one of the most heart-felt and genuinely touching and funny movies I've seen in many, many moons!
THE HELP  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++

THE DEBT (R)
The espionage thriller begins in 1997, as shocking news reaches retired Mossad secret agents Rachel (Helen Mirren) and Stephan (Tom Wilkinson) about their former colleague David (Ciarán Hinds). All three have been venerated for decades by their country because of the mission that they undertook back in 1966, when the trio (portrayed, respectively, by Jessica Chastain, Marton Csokas, and Sam Worthington tracked down Nazi war criminal Vogel (Jesper Christensen) in East Berlin. At great risk, and at considerable personal cost, the team's mission was accomplished - or was it? The suspense builds in and across two different time periods, with startling action and surprising revelations.
The re-make of the 2007 Hebrew film "HA HOV" was the surprise hit of Labor Day weekend!! Come see why!!
THE DEBT (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RICHLAND-AT-THE-AVON FILM CLASSES RESUME SEPT. 22nd!!
Americana at the Movies, Part 5 –  FILM8828
Sect. 01:  Thurs., Sept. 22 – Nov. 10
Time:  6:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Instructor:  Skip Huston
Location:  Avon Theatre, Downtown, Decatur, IL
Cost:  $80 (8 week course)
Avon Theatre "Head Honcho" and film historian, Skip Huston, presents another film screening & discussion series that should please all that have discovered his film classes for these past 10 years!
”Americana at the Movies--Pt.5" is the continuation of an "open-ended" series much like the "Overlooked Films" classes that Huston has held every summer since 2002.

 "Americana at the Movies--Pt 5" will examine many aspects of the American experience. The films will include movies set in small towns, and large cities; movies about our loves, fads, music, scandals, fashions and conflicts since our country was born.

As is always the case with Huston's Richland-at-the-Avon film classes, some of the movies screened and discussed will be well-known, and some will be rarities that are never seen any longer!  (And sometimes films that are not even released yet!!)
The films to be shown are never announced beforehand, as that has always been a trend with Huston's classes.

You will see and discuss with fellow movie lovers from all walks of life a veritable social history of America told through the greatest artistic achievement mankind has produced: The Movies!

There will be comedies, dramas, thrillers and historical epics all included in this newest entry of what has proven to be a hit series in the Avon Theatre film class: "AMERICANA  AT THE MOVIES--Part Five".

ENROLLMENT FLYERS ARE IN OUR LOBBIES OR CONTACT THE NICE LADY BELOW:

Jennifer Peterson

Continuing Education Coordinator

Richland Community College

One College Park

Decatur, IL  62521

JPeterso at richland.edu

(217) 875-7211, Ext. 353

Fax:  (217) 875-6964
Thanks, Folks!
I hope to see all of you this weekend!
Hail, hail AVONIA!!!
-Skip Huston

      Sue and I sitting down at the piano one evening.