[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---SEPT. 2nd, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Sep 1 12:53:09 EDT 2011

WEEK OF FRIDAY, SEPT. 2nd thru THURSDAY,  SEPT. 8th  ONLY!!

Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

CONTINUING:

  THE DEBT (R) Helen Mirren leads a great cast in this Spy thriller that spans 30 years!

   THE HELP (PG13) The #1 movie in America at Decatur's #1 theater!!

   DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (R) You say you want some really creepy and spooky fun? Here it is!!

COMING SOON:
  STARTS SEPT. 9th: CONTAGION (PG13)

  STARTS SEPT. 16th: DRIVE (R)

  STARTS SEPT. 23rd: KILLER ELITE (R)

  STARTS SEPT. 30th: DREAM HOUSE (PG13)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TWO SPECIAL FREE EVENTS FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1.) FRIDAY NIGHT @ 10:30 PM, FREE!! Back in 2000, Troy Taylor appeared in a movie that, well, didn't quite turn out as good as all involved had hoped (what an understatement!) "THE ST. FANCISVILLE EXPERIMENT", now, in a totally unique and unprecedented event, we will show that movie with Troy making a LIVE running commentary on what was going on, and what was going wrong! This will prove to be a very funny evening! It's FREE, FRIDAY @ 10:30 PM
Click this link http://herald-review.com/blogs/decaturade/article_7e6bc416- for an interview with Troy by the Herald & Review's Jim Vorel, and more on this zany happening!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2.) SATURDAY MORNING @ 11:00 AM, FREE!!  "OUR DECATUR 1955" This is the ultra-rare, hour-long documentary made about Decatur back in 1955! We own the ONLY known copy of it, and it is NOT available on video! Step into our time machine and see a bustling downtown, prospering businesses, happy people, and a city that had optimism! This is actually very funny in spots, but it is quite a learning experience too!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE DEBT (R)
This espionage thriller begins in 1997, as shocking news reaches retired Mossad secret agents Rachel (Helen Mirren) and Stephan (Tom Wilkinson) about their former colleague David (Ciarán Hinds). All three have been venerated for decades by their country because of the mission that they undertook back in 1966, when the trio (portrayed, respectively, by Jessica Chastain, Marton Csokas, and Sam Worthington tracked down Nazi war criminal Vogel (Jesper Christensen) in East Berlin. At great risk, and at considerable personal cost, the team's mission was accomplished - or was it? The suspense builds in and across two different time periods, with startling action and surprising revelations.
THE DEBT (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
MON & TUES: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE HELP (PG13)
What can I say? This is the #1 movie in the country, and the #1 movie in Decatur, and the #1 theater showing it!
See it once, and you'll want to see it again!
See it twice, and you'll want to bring friends to see it one more time.
THE HELP is one of the most heart-felt and genuinely touching and funny movies I've seen in many, many moons!
THE HELP  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (1:000 - (4:15)
MON thru THURS: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK  (R)
Ready for something really scary?
I'm not talking nutty serial killers or monsters or chainsaw-wielding maniacs here either!
This is a thriller from the guy who brought us THE OTHERS and PAN'S LABYRINTH, and this guy, Guillermo del Toro, KNOWS what scares you!
As Summer starts to wane, our thoughts turn to Fall, and that peculiar and palpable "October" feel that has always been indigenous to Decatur and this area.
A well-done roller-coaster ride of a creepy old house, and a certain "secret" it harbors, is good to get those Halloween juices pumping!
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NEW SNACK BAR STUFF!!
If you LOVE popcorn, but can't eat it for whatever reasons, you should try our NEW "Popcorner Chips"! We are trying them in TWO flavors: Buttered Popcorn, and Cheesy Jalapeno Popcorn. They are a light and healthy chip, and one bag is only 140 calories for the Butter and 150 for the Cheesy Jalapeno! Plus they are only $1.50 per bag! Other flavors are available, and if these are a hit, we'll try more! Just the first in a long list of proposed new menu items!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
COMING SOON TO OUR SNACK BAR: WhiteCastle Burgers!! and MORE!!

So, THAT was "Summer"??
A buncha' rain and cool temps early in the summer, a month of cicada invasion, and then endless weeks of scorching, surface-of-the-sun heat with NO rain???
I want my money back!!

And, what's up with the school year starting earlier every year? When I was in school, if you started before Labor Day weekend was over, you would've had to send the truant officer after me!
I know its some kind of state compliance/funding/general hoo-hah, but I think its terrible!
School should NOT start until after Labor Day weekend!
 That's a fact! Let's get to work on that, ok?
AND...Come See Me This Weekend!!