[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---OCT. 14th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Oct 12 14:46:14 EDT 2011

WEEK OF FRIDAY, OCT. 14th thru THURSDAY, OCT. 20th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
  THE BIG YEAR (PG) Steve Martin & Jack Black comedy!!

 DOLPHIN TALE (PG) You asked for this all-star family film at the Avon, and you got it! Morgan Freeman and more!!

CONTINUING:
  REAL STEEL (PG13) Hugh Jackman in a hard-hitting sci-fi adventure of a very "different" sort!

FREE HALLOWEEN MOVIES ALL THRU OCTOBER!!

FRI, Oct. 14th @ 10:30 PM: NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) The original that scared you witless!
SAT, Oct. 15th @ 10:30 PM: DAWN OF THE DEAD  (2004) The remake that improves on the original!
FRI, Oct. 28th @ 10:30 PM: JEEPERS CREEPERS Some real ghastly fun!
SAT, Oct. 29th @ 10:30 PM: TRICK R TREAT A Troy Taylor "discovery". perfect for Halloween creeps!

ALL FREE! FREE! FREE! FREE! (Did we mention they were FREE???)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW Tickets on Sale NOW!!
FRI, Oct. 21st @ MIDNIGHT!
SAT, Oct. 22nd @ MIDNIGHT!
ALL SEATS $10 NO PASSES FOR THIS EVENT!!
Let's Do the TimeWarp Again!!
Come in Costume....as BARE as you DARE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
COMING SOON:
  OCT. 21st: PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 (R) Just in time for Halloween!!!

 OCT. 28th: PUSS IN BOOTS (PG) All-star cast in an animated film from the Shrek family! Delightful!

 NOV. 17th: MIDNIGHT PREMIERE!! TWILIGHT: BREAKING DAWN--Part One (PG13) Tickets on sale now!!
+++++++++++++++++++

THE BIG YEAR  (PG)
Steve Martin, Jack Black and Owen Wilson are at a crossroads -- one is experiencing a mid-life crisis, another a late-life crisis, and the third, a far from ordinary no-life crisis. From David Frankel, the director of The Devil Wears Prada and Marley & Me, comes a sophisticated comedy about three friendly rivals who, tired of being ruled by obligations and responsibilities, dedicate a year of their lives to following their dreams. Their big year takes them on a cross-country journey of wild and life-changing adventures.
THE BIG YEAR  (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++

REAL STEEL (PG13)
A gritty, white-knuckle, action ride set in the near-future where the sport of boxing has gone high-tech, Real Steel stars Hugh Jackman as Charlie Kenton, a washed-up fighter who lost his chance at a title when 2000-pound, 8-foot-tall steel robots took over the ring. Now nothing but a small-time promoter, Charlie earns just enough money piecing together low-end bots from scrap metal to get from one underground boxing venue to the next. When Charlie hits rock bottom, he reluctantly teams up with his estranged son Max (Dakota Goyo) to build and train a championship contender. As the stakes in the brutal, no-holds-barred arena are raised, Charlie and Max, against all odds, get one last shot at a comeback.
REAL STEEL  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
MON thru WED: 6:40
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DOLPHIN TALE (PG)
Here is the surprise hit of late-Summer finally at the Avon, where you wanted it to be!!

Dolphin Tale is inspired by the amazing true story of a brave dolphin and the compassionate strangers who banded together to save her life. Swimming free, a young dolphin is caught in a crab trap, severely damaging her tail. She is rescued and transported to the Clearwater Marine Hospital, where she is named Winter. But her fight for survival has just begun. Without a tail, Winter's prognosis is dire. It will take the expertise of a dedicated marine biologist, the ingenuity of a brilliant prosthetics doctor, and the unwavering devotion of a young boy to bring about a groundbreaking miracle-a miracle that might not only save Winter but could also help scores of people around the world.
DOLPHIN TALE (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some of my staffers have informed me about some of the "rumors" out there, and think the time has come for me to set the record straight.
So, here goes:

THE RUMOR: Skip is dying, or very sick. He's had a heart-attack or developed a serious illness, or something to that effect.

THE FACT: I did have a real health scare recently. I was hospitalized with Congestive Heart Failure, and it looked pretty bleak for a few days.
Then, after extensive tests, and the incomparable care of St. Mary's Hospital, it was found that I had a condition that can be controlled and maybe 100% corrected by medicine, diet & exercise. No surgery. No stents. I am seriously feeling better than I have in years. So, for all my many, many friends: that is good news! AND...for my very small group of enemies: Sorry, guys!

THE RUMOR: Skip is selling out of The Avon, and will be leaving soon.

THE FACT: As I announced last April, there was in May a change in the fabric and structure of our business that had long been contemplated. I felt that after almost 13 years of operating The Avon "without a net", so to speak, it was time, at 61, to expand certain responsibilities of the business so that I could concentrate on what I do best: RUNNING THE THEATER.
My best friend of some 20 years, the famous author of an amazing 84 books in print, Troy Taylor, came in on an official capacity as our "CFO" (Chief Financial Officer), and I continue as the "COO" (Chief Operations Officer), or as we like to say it: "Skip is, and always will be 'The Head Honcho' and Troy is 'The Godfather' "  (We get a big kick out of that).
(Some of you who are long-time customers are aware Troy has been a "back-stage" part of the Avon since day one. He even designed our original website, and our new one too!)
>>>So, I am not leaving.
I can't even retire until I "sleep with the fishes"! Ha Ha Ha
And, again: For all my many, many friends: that is good news! For my very small group of enemies: Sorry, guys!

RUMOR: The Avon Twins will be adding an expanded menu for light dinner, and beer & wine sales.

THE FACT: The expanded food items in the Avon Twins have already started being added slowly, the beer & wine is still in the planning stages.
Come try WhiteCastle burger "sliders", mini-pizzas, mini-Chicken sandwich "sliders", and of course our Nathan's all-beef hot-dogs, and the latest popcorn rage "Bacon Popcorn", which is prepared to order in its own special tray, covered with real garlic butter and then REAL bacon bits! You will howl at the moon!
PLUS>>> This weekend we'll be adding homemade cupcakes from FAT CAT CAKES! dee-lish-us!!!

So, if you hear people spreading these rumors, set 'em straight!!
After all, you read it in the Avon Newsletter!!

HERE IS A VERY RARE PICTURE OF THE AVON FROM 1975!!
NOTE THE DISPLAY IN THE JC PENNEY WINDOWS WHERE THE
AVON TWINS ARE NOW.
Come See Me Soon, Folks!!
-Skip Huston
P.S. If you can't see the pictures in this newsletter, set your email so it can receive "html", and that will do the trick!