[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---June 17th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Jun 15 17:52:15 EDT 2011

WEEK STARTING FRIDAY,  JUNE 17th thru THURSDAY,  JUNE 23rd  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
MIDNIGHT PREMIERE THURSDAY, JUNE 16th!!:
 GREEN LANTERN (PG13) Ryan Reynolds in one of the Summer's blockbusters!

CONTINUING:
  SUPER 8 (PG13) Steven Spielberg and filmmaker J.J. Abrams team up for what just may be the surprise hit of the summer!!

 BRIDESMAIDS (R) In case you missed it, we bring this wild and fun comedy back for another look!

COMING SOON:

 JUNE 24th: CARS 2 (PG)

 JUNE 29th: TRANSFORMERS 3: DARK OF THE MOON (PG13)

 JULY 1st: LARRY CROWNE (PG13) Tom Hanks & Julia Roberts!! Perfect "Avon movie"!!

 JULY 15th: HARRY POTTER (the last chapter) (PG13) This is IT! No more Harry Potter after this one!

 JULY 29th: COWBOYS & ALIENS (PG13) Harrison Ford & Daniel Craig in a "must-see" fun movie!

  JULY 29th: CRAZY STUPID LOVE (PG13) Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, 'nuff said???

...and the list goes on and on!!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GREEN LANTERN (PG13)
Ok, so I know that some of you are starting to grumble about Summer and Hollywood's fixation with Superhero movies!
Well, get used to it, folks, because there's a whole lot more coming this summer and next and next and next...
BUT...sometimes they are pretty cool!
No one would argue that IRON MAN was a mistake to see, and the new reboots of Batman "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" are now Hollywood iconography.

Personally, I've always been a Superman fan...
Ol' Supie can kick all the fannies of the rest of these guys with one arm tied behind his back!
(Unless you pull out your stash of Kryptonite!)

Let's face it: Summer means fun (to quote that old 60's surfer song) and what more fun is it to sit in the darkened Avon with a bucket of our real buttah-drenched kernels of ambrosia (that's Avon popcorn, in case you wondered) and let the Superheroes take you away on a journey of good vs evil (which is really what most of them are about anyway).

And, for you lascivious ladies (or gents, if that's your roll) out there: You get to see Ryan Reynolds in a skin-tight green costume!
GREEN LANTERN  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SUPER 8 (PG13)
Hey Folks! Every once in awhile we run a review from a secondary notable source, like Leonard Maltin, or Chuck Koplinski, or Roger Ebert, but, this time we have a guest who doesn't normally do movie reviews!! Troy Taylor is too busy writing books of the weird, dastardly heinous world of crime and the denizens of the dark to do things like that! He now has 81 books in print (yes, you heard that right 81!!) but he was so impressed with "Super 8" he sent me this thoughtful piece to help YOU decide you need to see this movie!!

GUEST MOVIE REVIEW: SUPER 8
 BY TROY TAYLOR
Like the kids in SUPER 8, I was a nerd in 1979. I spent those summer days obsessed with movies and monsters and it became a time that literally shaped my life. I had no idea then that those waning days of middle school were as important as they were. I wouldn’t know until many years later, when adulthood landed on me with full force. My childhood obsessions – which I was supposed to outgrow and yet never did – became my life’s work. I never got into the movie business (until recently) but most can agree that I seem to know a thing or two about ghosts and monsters. I daydreamed back then about never really working for a living and as it turned out, I don’t. If you can do what you love for a living, someone wiser than I once said, you’ll never work a day in your life.
I think nostalgia is the main reason that I loved SUPER 8 so much. I saw myself there on the screen (perhaps a little bit in every one of the characters) but I saw my childhood friends there too. We were the goofy kids who buried our noses in books and had our copies of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND confiscated by teachers. We read those magazines cover to cover and put together the models that we ordered from the back pages, inhaling the fumes of countless tubes of clear, sticky glue. It was in the back pages of those magazines that we found the reels of Super 8 films that we could order for only a few bucks and screen them on the wall of our parents’ basements. Entire films were condensed down to just the highlights, but we didn’t care because we had our own private movie theaters. We watched them in awe but if there was one thing that we dreamed about the most, it was making a movie all our own.
SUPER 8 is just the sort of movie that we would have wanted to make if we could have. It had all of the ingredients of everything we loved – a monster, explosions, a train wreck, military secrets, guns, a spaceship and even a pretty girl. I would have loved this movie in 1979, just the same way that I love it now. SUPER 8 truly is the best movie of the summer and possibly the best movie that I have seen so far this year. I can’t remember the last movie that I saw that captured the feeling of a middle-school American summer in the way that this one has.
It’s a simple story, at least at first. A group of kids set out to make their own zombie movie (using a battered Super 8 camera, hence the title), accidentally witness a sensational train crash that has mysterious undertones and then become involved in an extraterrestrial tale that conjures up memories of Spielberg’s E.T. – a movie that came out just a few years after my fateful summer of 1979 and which I saw at the Avon Theater of all places.
Writer-director JJ Abrams calls the movie a “love letter to the kind of Super 8 monster and chase films that he made as a boy”, which were in turn influenced by the late 1970s and early 1980s films of Steven Spielberg, who produced the film, and who also made monster and chase films on Super 8 as a boy. Whatever influenced this almost magical movie, though, it works beautifully.
The science-fiction and action in the film is amazing and creates the questions that drive the story --- why are secret military troops taking over the town? What were they hiding in that train car? What’s stealing cables, car engines and microwaves all over town? Why are all of the dogs running away? What happened to all of those missing people? This is all important to the film, but what really makes it work is the human cast, both the kids as the main characters and the adults around them. It’s a movie about love and loss, tragedy and family and a portrait is painted (once again) of real people that we loved, lost and grew up with.
If you’re anything like me, this movie will take you back to a simpler time. SUPER 8 is a movie that I wish I could have made (or perhaps even lived) back then and if you were one of “those kids”, like I was, I urge you to see it. Even if you weren’t, you don’t want to miss it. There’s something here for just about anybody, of just about any age. Bring your kids and, like me, explain to them why it was called SUPER 8. It just might bring back some good memories for you.
Whatever you do, though, don’t miss it. SUPER 8 is just too good to pass up. Written by Troy Taylor
SUPER 8  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00) - 7:00
SAT & SUN:  (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00

MON,TUES, WED: 6:40
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BRIDESMAIDS (R)

I'm sure most of you are aware this is the smash comedy hit from a few weeks ago, but what we are not sure of is how many of you still have not seen it, or want to see it again! (We know people who have seen it more than 2 times!)
Be aware, as in our other hit movie "The Hangover---Part Two" this is VERY raunchy and wild fun!
(Except, with BRIDESMAIDS, it is the ladies doing all the gross and hysterically funny antics!)
We brought this back as a kind of "encore" and to fill in a spot planned for later in the month.
We think it was a good choice, and we hope you do too!
BRIDESMAIDS  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
MON,TUES, WED: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Man, it's seems like a gazillion years since my last film class ended!
My Thursday nights have been missing them!
Well, now they start anew on Thursday, June 16th (that might be tonight or tomorrow, depending on when I send this out).

This is the 10th (or 11th) year of my "OVERLOOKED FILMS" classes, and they remain the most popular in my many years-long association with Richland-at-the-Avon!
And WHY is that?
Because, with "Overlooked" you never know what you're gonna' get!
(Like that Forrest Gumpian box o' chocolates)
It could be an epic, or a drama, or a musical, or an adventure...you get the picture...
They are ALL eligible if they are "overlooked"!

I love it when I hear my attendees say "I've never heard of this movie, and I LOVED it!"

We never tell you what you are going to see.
You just have to trust me to Captain the Cinema Ship and bring you a series of films that I truly agonize over!!

Those that are close enough to me to know, will say that I am constantly looking for candidates for ALL my classes, including "Overlooked'!
My next most popular class series is "AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES" and it will be in its 6th season this Fall.

You still have time to get enrolled for my classes! Just show up Thursday at about 6:15, and an official from Richland will be there to take your $80, and get you bonafide!
I hope to see you!!
By the way, TIGHTWAD TUESDAYS are BAAAAAACK!!
All Shows on Tuesday only $4.50!! You heard right! $4.50!!
-I Wanna See  You and You and, especially...YOU this weekend!!
-Skip Huston
(recent picture)