[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---JULY 4th WEEKEND!!

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jun 30 12:10:37 EDT 2011

                            IT'S JULY 4th WEEKEND!! (Fri, July 1st thru Thursday, July 7th)
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
 LARRY CROWNE (PG13) Tom Hanks & Julia Roberts!! Perfect "Avon movie"!!

CONTINUING:
 TRANSFORMERS 3: DARK OF THE MOON (PG13) One of the BIGGEST of the Summer!

  CARS 2 (G) Disney and Pixar do it again with a fun-filled romp for the WHOLE family!!

COMING SOON:
 JULY 15th: HARRY POTTER (the last chapter) (PG13) This is IT! No more Harry Potter after this one!

  JULY 29th: COWBOYS & ALIENS (PG13) Harrison Ford & Daniel Craig in a "must-see" fun movie!

  JULY 29th: CRAZY STUPID LOVE (PG13) Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, 'nuff said???

...and the list goes on and on!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TRANSFORMERS 3: DARK OF THE MOON (PG13)
Director Michael Bay sure takes his lumps with the cineaste's crowd, but he can deliver a huge, over-the-top, summertime popcorn picture like few in cinema history have been able!
I know that sounds rather bourgeois from a college film teacher, but I have to give credit where credit is due...
In the end, its all about selling tickets and getting fannies into seats!
The Transformers franchise is incredibly successful, in spite of the abysmal reviews they usually receive. Every filmmaker's dream is to have a movie that is "review-proof", and Michael Bay has got just that with these babies!
This is a mammoth, loud, explosive film that just about tears Chicago to pieces! (All with the magic of impeccable special effects, that is!)
Screen sensation Shia LaBeouf (who really should change his name to one easier to spell and pronounce, but nobody asked me) and a great supporting cast that even includes Oscar-winner Frances McDormand and John Malkovich (and Patrick Dempsey, for heaven's sake!)---and Leonard Nimoy's voice (yes, you heard that right).

And, for those of you who may take a chance on this, but have not seen the previous films? Don't worry about it. You'll catch on real fast!
This is a "two-tub" real buttered popcorn movie, for sure!
TRANSFORMERS 3: DARK OF THE MOON  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
MON JULY 4th: (2:00) - (5:30)
TUES, WED & THURS: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LARRY CROWNE  (PG13)
Can there be a more definitive "Avon Movie" than this? Not only does it star TOM HANKS and JULIA ROBERTS, but it was co-written by Hanks and NIA VARDALOS (that "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" girl!!), and also was DIRECTED by Tom Hanks!
You can't go wrong with this middle-age "dramedy", and we at the Avon went to a LOT of trouble to get it here to counter-program the super-heroes, robots, and cartoons of Summer 2011!
Here is a summer movie for grown-ups!
LARRY CROWNE  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
MON JULY 4th: (1:15) - (4:15)
TUES & WED: 6:40 (No Thursday show dues to Special Event)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CARS 2 (G)
Here is a loaded question: Can Pixar ever make a dud?
Some would caution that is a jinxed query to ask right on the eve of this new release, but I don't think so!
These guys just know how to get it "right"!
With an amazing cast of vocal talents, and those lovable cars, this is a sure-fire hit for the whole family!!
CARS 2  (G)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
MON JULY 4th: (1:00) - (4:00)
TUES, WED & THURS: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's some GROOVY Avon news items!!
NEW! NEW! NEW IN THE AVON CONCESSION STAND!
We have just added a brand new menu item to the Avon's two concessions stands -- Gourmet Bacon Popcorn!
Available starting July 1, this delectable snack features fantastic Avon popcorn (the best in the known universe!) that is topped with our REAL butter (with a hint of garlic) and a generous sprinkling of authentic bacon!
Those who were lucky enough to get a free sample of this new item last weekend gave it rave reviews and we know you're going to love it!
Be sure to ask for Avon Gourmet Bacon Popcorn when you come to see us this weekend -- available starting July 1!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FREE EVENT ON JULY 8! LATE NIGHT SPOOKSHOW WITH TROY TAYLOR!
FREE SCREENING OF THE INFAMOUS "ST. FRANCISCVILLE EXPERIMENT" -- 10:30 PM (or thereabouts)
A lot of you have been asking what this movie is about and why we are showing it the way that we are on July 8 -- offering a running commentary throughout the movie by the Avon's own Troy Taylor, author of 82 books about ghosts, crime and the unexplained including the "Haunted Decatur" books. The reason for this is simple -- it's because Troy is in the movie! Troy appeared as himself in what started out a documentary and deteriorated into what he calls "an unintentionally hilarious horror film". The movie had a brief theater run in 2000 (including one sold-out night at the Avon!) and then ended up on video and DVD, where it has earned a minor cult following. The story centers around a group of would-be ghost hunters who are sent to spend the night in a mansion connected to Delphine LaLaurie, a horrific figure from New Orleans history who was connected to murder, depravity and death, and what happened to them after the doors of the mansion were locked behind them.

Troy appeared in the early documentary portion of the film but was connected to the entire filming -- up to a point. He noted: "I have taken a lot of flak about my role in this film over the years but I can say that it was a lot of fun to make and to be a part of the cast and crew. Most of them were great people to work with. There's no point in trying to take it seriously -- it's just a movie -- and as long as you don't think it's really true, it can be a lot of fun. It's never going to be remembered as a highlight of my career but I don't regret taking part in it. It was a great experience and a real look at what happens when things in Hollywood go awry."

On July 8, Troy will be presenting the film at the Avon and offering an in-depth and behind the scenes introduction about the making of the movie. Also, during the film, he will be offering an ongoing, off-stage commentary about what's happening on screen and what was really taking place behind the scenes of the movie. It's going to be a fun night and one not to be missed!
By the way, TIGHTWAD TUESDAYS are BAAAAAACK!!
All Shows on Tuesday only $4.50!! You heard right! $4.50!!
Come See Me This Weekend!!
HAPPY 4th OF JULY!!