[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---FEBRUARY 18th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Feb 17 15:58:53 EST 2011

  HUSTON'S
WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 18th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 24th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: MONDAY MATINEES FOR PRESIDENT'S DAY!!
OPENING:
  UNKNOWN (PG13) Liam Neeson in the Hitchcock-type thriller you've all been waiting for!
  I AM NUMBER 4 (PG13) Action-packed sci-fi hit about the hunt for an "extraordinary" (in every sense of the word) young man.

RETURNING:
  BLACK SWAN (R) FRI, SAT, SUN & MON ONLY!! Last Chance Before the Oscars!!

CONTINUING:
  127 HOURS (R) FINAL WEEK!! SEE IT BEFORE THE OSCARS!!

COMING SOON:
 MARCH 4th: RANGO (PG) Johnny Depp and a bunch of others in a rollicking animated romp that is NOT just for kids!
 MARCH 11th: RED RIDING HOOD (R) A new take on the old fairy tale!
 MARCH 18th: LIMITLESS (PG13) Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro in a tale of sci-fi action!
...and MORE!!
++++++++++++++++++++

UNKNOWN (PG13)
LIAM NEESON has fulfilled the promise of his huge hit "Taken" with another slam-bang thriller, with story elements that could only be described as "Hitchcockian". Foxy JANUARY JONES (from TV's "Mad Men") and even foxier DIANE KRUGER ("Troy"), plus always-excellent AIDAN QUINN, and screen/stage veteran FRANK LANGELLA, join a large international cast in a movie that I know many of you have been very excited about!
UNKNOWN (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00) - 7:00
SAT, SUN & MON: (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
TUES thru THURS: 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++

I AM NUMBER FOUR (PG13)
Just what the doctor ordered! A fun "popcorn picture" to break the logjam of all those self-congratulatory "Award Shows".
No, this one won't be up for any snooty critic's awards, but it'll sure be a whole lot of FUN!! The search for the last young man of 4 "very special" ones ensues...The first 3 are dead, and now, this guy is, well, #4.
TV star TIMOTHY OLYPHANT (TV's terrific "Justified") and DIANNA AGRON (TV's "Glee") co-star.
Grab your bucket of Avon 'corn with REAL butter, put your mind on "park", and go with it!
I AM NUMBER FOUR (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:00) - 8:00
SAT, SUN & MON: (2:00) - (5:00) - 8:00
TUES thru THURS: 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++

127 HOURS (R)
Ok, these are your last chances to see this 6-Oscar nominated film!
I know some of you are "afraid" or "on the fence", but you really shouldn't worry.
The "scene" you're worried about is only 5 minutes long, and it comes toward the end.
You've seen more graphic stuff on TV, believe me!
It's worth hiding your eyes for a few minutes!
127 HOURS (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:15)
SAT, SUN & MON: (2:15) - (5:15)
TUES & WED: 6:15
++++++++++++++++++++

BLACK SWAN (R)
We brought this back for a final few days just for those of you who still have not seen it, or want to see it again!
When NATALIE PORTMAN wins the "Best Actress" Oscar on the 27th, you'll wish you'd seen it!
BLACK SWAN (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT, SUN & MON: 8:15
+++++++++++++++++++
RANTS, RAVES & RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

So, let's be honest here: How many of you are rather disappointed in the Oscar choices this year?
I mean, these were a lot of really good movies (and not one clunker in the bunch), but...
There was very little that knocked me for a loop.

Some typical cineaste dilettantes from a neighboring city loudly announced in our lobby they thought the sun rose and set with "The King's Speech", conveniently forgetting that PBS's "Masterpiece Theater" has been doing this very type of film rather well for several decades now...
(And not realizing how close they came to being forcibly ejected by the Head Honcho).

All of the Facebook fans (of which I am most certainly not) are rooting for 'The Social Network", which I found very well-written, but basically about snotty young adults who seemed waaaaaay too impressed with themselves. (And, maybe with good reason!)

And, those two above films, dear readers, are considered "the ones to beat" in the "Best Picture" race!

Truth be told: "Inception" was the most audacious and daring thing I've seen in a long time! (Since the same director's film "Memento" actually!)

"True Grit" was a rip-roaring Western that only had one liability in many people's minds: It didn't have John Wayne.
Maybe someday,  with our racing technology, we'll be able to remake John Wayne films actually WITH John Wayne (kinda creepy), but ,Jeff Bridges is no one to sneeze at either!

In fact, and here's an earth-shaker for you: Wayne and Bridges made their respective versions of "True Grit" at the SAME age, yet in the iconic scene with the shoot-out across the open field, Wayne was NOT on a horse, but on a camera-trickery riding machine for the close-ups, while Bridges was riding a real, bonafide, flesh & sinew horse! Does that prove anything? Not really, but I thought I'd mention it.

"Black Swan" blew a lot of people's minds, but there were some just not ready for its twisted take on the ballet biz. (Natalie Portman is so gorgeous, though, she oughta be arrested!)

"127 Hours" was, ultimately a life-affirming and stunning take on survival and taking control of one's destiny, but I fear there are still so many too scared to see this movie. (They've seen much worse on TV's "CSI" shows, believe me!)

"Toy Story 3" is, I am sure, on God's own list for the Top Film of the year, but even He knows animated movies really don't stand a chance in the "Best Picture" category. (Unless He decides to "lend a hand")

"The Fighter" had some of the best acting I have seen in my entire life! There was not a bad or awkward performance in the entire cast, and Christian Bale should be a lock for "Best Supporting Actor", but Amy Adams (whom I am kee-razy about) against Melissa Leo in the same "Best Supporting Actress" category is almost heartless in the "cancel-out" potential. As a movie? Very good, but not "Best Picture".

"The Kids Are Alright" I have not seen. It is available on DVD, and I do plan to see it. Unfortunately, it never played in Decatur either at the Avon or at the "other guys", so there are many who haven't seen it, I suspect. Looks really good too!

And that brings us to "Winter's Bone". In these very pages I told you this would be an Oscar contender. Last summer, when we played it, we were the ONLY theater showing it in the entire state! Many of you flocked to see it, and some of you had a problem with it. (There were some that thought the fine actors were actually non-professional hillbilly people who had been pressed into duty!) I will say this much: I would LOVE to see "Winter's Bone" win the Oscar! What a world-rocker for huckster Harvey Weinstein to have to face; to have his precious "The King's Speech" be whupped by the unworthy hill folk! But, don't look for it to happen!

Glaring omissions from the bloated 10 "Best Picture" nominee list were: "The Town" and "Ghost Writer".

WHO WILL WIN? I'm not going to tell you. You can't make me. So there.

WHO SHOULD WIN? Read the above ranting very carefully again, and I think you will discern that.

WHAT DID I THINK WAS THE YEAR'S BEST PICTURES?
If you really want to know...
(And this is MY newsletter, so you can either listen, or delete me; it'll only hurt for a little while)

I was thoroughly knocked-out and repeatedly run over by a semi-truck by two Foreign films this year!
The first is the original 4+ hour Asian version (not the abridged 2 1/2 hour American release) of masterwork director John Woo's epic of the Chinese Three Kingdom War, "Red Cliff". To use a VERY over-used word: It was "awesome". Huge battle scenes with very little CGI. There are real people filling that screen!

The 2nd of my faves was a two-part French film, that, taken together, clocks in at over 4 hours too..."Mesrine". The gangster saga of the French Dillinger, Jacques Mesrine. Incredible action. Martin Scorsese as he would be if he were making French films. This movie makes "Public Enemies", "American Gangster" and "The Departed" look like poor substitutes.

Why did I not play these two at the Avon?
Well, the incredible length, for one, and the public's rabid aversion to those SUBTITLES for another!
Can you find them in Decatur? I don't think so! (They're at my house, but I never loan movies)

Get them on Netflix, or buy them on Amazon.com. Make sure you ONLY buy the Asian 4+ hour version of "Red Cliff" though.
The shortened American version is quite good, but you need to see the entire John Woo concept and vision!
As far as "Mesrine", it is TWO separate films, so you need to grab 'em both.

Yes, I have been chatty enough here to keep my trap shut now for at least the next 6 weeks!

Come See Me This Weekend!