[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---FEB. 11th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Feb 10 13:59:40 EST 2011

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"
-Dr. Skippy P. Huston

"The darkness that settles over a movie theater is equivalent to the act of closing the eyes.
Then, on screen, as within the human being, the nocturnal voyage into the unconscious begins."
--Luis Bunuel

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 11th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 17th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
THE TEMPEST (PG13) Helen Mirren and an eye-popping cast in an astounding new version of Shakespeare's last classic. This is a LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!

CONTINUING:
THE WAY BACK (PG13) Ed Harris & Colin Ferrell in a huge true adventure! LAST FEW DAYS!! HURRY!!
127 HOURS (R) James Franco in THAT one! One of the most acclaimed movies of the year! ENDS SOON!!
THE RITE (PG13) Anthony Hopkins in a true tale of possession and exorcism. Atmospheric and creeeepy. ENDS THIS WEEK!!

COMING SOON:
FEB. 18th: UNKNOWN (PG13) Liam Neeson in the one you've all been waiting for!
FEB. 18th: I AM NUMBER 4 (PG13) Action-packed thriller about the hunt for an "extraordinary" (in every sense of the word) young man.
 RANTS, RAVINGS & RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO:
So, when Mother Nature decided to make us all into Eskimos a few weeks back, I looked at Mrs. Honcho and said "Let's get in the car and keep driving until its warm out", to which she replied the storm system we were in the middle of was 2100 miles wide or long or whatever...There was no escape!
There is "supposed" to be somewhat of a warming trend in the next week, but we'll see how long that lasts!

Those of you who know me well enough, know that I am a strict Summer-type. It literally can't get too hot for me!
---But, let the temperature drop below 50 and I am ready to freak!
Here's one good thing that is finally starting to happen: Award Season is almost over and we can stop constantly hearing about the same 5 movies!
I know that is an odd statement coming from someone who used to live & die for the Oscars, but enough is enough.
These days, it isn't just the outrageously corrupt Golden Globes we've had to contend with, but endless other award shows.
As some award-winner stated last week "I've won awards I've never even heard of!" 'nuff said!
Saturday will mark the one "Award Show" I DO still care about, and that is the Herald & Review's READER'S CHOICE AWARDS.
Make sure you pick up a copy of the Decatur Herald & Review on Saturday for their insert on how everyone fared this year.
Some of your faves will win, and some of your not-so-faves will win as well. It's a fun competition, and I will tell you this much:

I am very happy how the "Best Place to See a Movie" category came out!

(I'm also very happy how the "Best Decaturite" category came out. No, I didn't get #1 like I did last year, but I have been in the Top 3 for the past 5 or 6 years, and this year is no exception.
I don't want to sound like the much-parodied Sally Field at her Oscar acceptance speech a gazillion years ago, but, I guess its true: "You like me! You really do!")

Someone much smarter than I once told me this: "There will always be people who DON'T like you; the trick is to have more that DO like you, than DON'T!"
And, so...on to business....

THE TEMPEST (PG13)
Director Julie Taymor is a true "auteur"; a visionary who is uncompromising in her approach. Avon Theater veterans may remember when we played her first film "Titus" many, many moons ago....Then came "Frida" (which we played) and "Across the Universe" (which we didn't play, thanks to studio politics) and now...
This version of Shakespeare's last classic will not only astound you with its visuals, but has a cast that can only be described as a casting director's fever dream! HELEN MIRREN, DAVID STRATHAIRN ("Good Night and Good Luck"), ALAN CUMMING, CHRIS COOPER (Oscar winner for "Adaptation"), ALFRED MOLINA ("Chocolat") and more, folks!
And, not to perpetuate the award gluttony I spoke about above: This is nominated for one Oscar too!
Note: Because this is an "Avon movie" and definitely NOT fodder for the mall multibox masses, it will play ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!
THE TEMPEST (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 7:00
SAT: (1:00) - 7:00
SUN: (1:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 7:15 (Ends Wednesday!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE WAY BACK (PG13)
Here is a huge true-life adventure starring ED HARRIS and COLIN FERRELL, among many impressive others. Directed by six-time Academy Award (R) nominee Peter Weir, THE WAY BACK is an epic story of survival, solidarity and indomitable human will.
It will be VERY unfortunate if you miss this fine film, folks! It is only here for THREE MORE SHOWINGS, Fri, Sat & Sun, so don't delay!!
THE WAY BACK (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT & SUN: (4:00) (LAST CHANCE SHOWINGS!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

127 HOURS (R)
Not only is JAMES FRANCO one of the front-runners for the "Best Actor" Oscar he is nominated for, this extraordinary true story will have you talking and debating for days!
Honestly, now...

What would YOU do to survive?
It's a tough question when it is all conjecture...
BUT, what if YOU were in a situation where the question was either simply perish or take "drastic measures" and live to tell of your adventure?
This incredible film by Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle, is no walk in the park.

It will challenge you in ways that "Black Swan" only hinted at...
But it is also life-affirming to the max!
127 HOURS (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (2:00) - (5:00
MON thru THURS: 6:40 (ENDS SOON!)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE RITE (PG13)
Here are your last chances to see Sir Anthony Hopkins at his creepy best!

It must be stressed that this is "PG13", so don't worry about it getting too much into the area of "objectionable".
Just look for the some atmospheric and spooky fun!
THE RITE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru THURS: 6:30 (ENDS THURSDAY!)

STARTS NEXT WEEK

Liam Neeson in UNKNOWN

Action-Packed Adventure in I AM NUMBER FOUR

Come See Me Soon!
I'll Be Looking for You and You and....YOU!!

-Skip Huston
P.S. Don't forget Saturday's HERALD & REVIEW for the "Reader's Choice" insert!

I think our group photo this year is one of the best yet!