[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---FEB. 4th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Feb 2 17:49:04 EST 2011

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"
-Dr. Skippy P. Huston

"The darkness that settles over a movie theater is equivalent to the act of closing the eyes.
Then, on screen, as within the human being, the nocturnal voyage into the unconscious begins."
--Luis Bunuel

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 4th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 10th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
THE WAY BACK (PG13) Ed Harris & Colin Ferrell in a huge true adventure!

CONTINUING:
127 HOURS (R) James Franco in THAT one! One of the most acclaimed movies of the year!
THE RITE (PG13) Anthony Hopkins in a true tale of possession and exorcism. Atmospheric and creeeepy.

COMING SOON:
FEB. 11th: THE TEMPEST (PG13) All-Star Cast of Shakespeare's classic! Helen Mirren, Chris Cooper, Tom Conti and more!!
FEB. 18th: UNKNOWN (PG13) Liam Neeson in the one you've all been waiting for!
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, huh?
BOLONEY!!
>Maybe if there were not small businesses that had to be open to survive...
>Maybe if people would drive a little more carefully in the snow...
>Maybe if our local utility company did not keep us in constant fear of losing power...
MAYBE THEN, I could embrace the romantic elements of being "snowbound"!!
BUT, as it is right now, it's a terrible nightmarish catastrophe.
Hopefully, we see nothing of this obnoxious magnitude for a long, long time!

Decatur City workers did a good job of trying to get the streets clear, but good ol'
AMEREN had as many as 7500 local people without power at various times.
There is NO excuse for this.
Other community utility companies in the same storm had significantly
fewer outages, so why it is always AMEREN?
Oh, that's right, they need ANOTHER rate increase! Right???
BOLONEY!

THE WAY BACK (PG13)
Here is a huge true-life adventure from director Peter Weir and starring ED HARRIS and COLIN FERRELL, among many impressive others. Directed by six-time Academy Award (R) nominee Peter Weir, THE WAY BACK is an epic story of survival, solidarity and indomitable human will. Shot in Bulgaria, Morocco and India, the film stars Jim Sturgess (Across the Universe, The Other Boleyn Girl), Ed Harris (Appaloosa) and Colin Farrell (In Bruges) as prisoners of a Soviet Union labor camp, who, along with four others, flee their Siberian Gulag and begin a treacherous journey across thousands of miles of hostile terrain. Academy Award (R) nominee Saoirse Ronan (Atonement, The Lovely Bones) and Mark Strong (Body of Lies, RocknRolla) co-star. Written by Weir and Keith Clarke, the film is Peter's first since 2003's Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. It is inspired by the acclaimed book The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom, as well as first-person accounts and anecdotes as told to, and researched by Weir and executive producer Clarke.
THE WAY BACK (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

127 HOURS (R)
Not only is JAMES FRANCO one of the front-runners for the "Best Actor" Oscar he has been nominated for, this extraordinary true story will have you talking and debating for days!
Honestly, now...

What would YOU do to survive?
It's a tough question when it is all conjecture...
BUT, what if YOU were in a situation where the question was either simply perish or take "drastic measures" and live to tell of your adventure?
This incredible film by Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle, is no walk in the park.

It will challenge you in ways that "Black Swan" only hinted at...
But it is also life-affirming to the max!
127 HOURS (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (2:00) - (5:00
MON thru THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE RITE (PG13)
For those of you who have been wondering when we were going to start to end "Award Season" and get back to just plain MOVIES!!
Here is ANTHONY HOPKINS (who just gets more creepy all the time) and a fine cast in the TRUE story of a possession and resulting exorcism.
It must be stressed that this is "PG13", so don't worry about it getting too much into the area of "objectionable".
Just look for the same atmospheric and spooky fun, and in a REAL haunted theater too!
THE RITE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50/$5.75 'Bargain Matinees")

STARTS FRIDAY, FEB. 11th
EXCLUSIVE LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!!
Helen Mirren and an extraordinary cast in Shakespeare's
THE TEMPEST

Come see Me Soon, Folks!!
I'm Looking for ALL of you to come in out of the snow and get to THE AVON!!

That means you and you and...YOU!!