[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATER NEWS---AUG. 26th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Tue Aug 23 23:54:55 EDT 2011

WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUG. 26th thru THURSDAY, SEPT. 1st  ONLY!!

Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE ABOVE EFFECTIVE DATES FOR
THIS NEWSLETTER!!

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
  DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (R) You say you want some really creepy and spooky fun? Here it is!!

 OPENS WED, AUG 31st: THE DEBT (R) Helen Mirren leads a great cast in this Spy thriller that spans 30 years!

CONTINUING:
  THE HELP (PG13) The #1 movie in America at Decatur's #1 theater!!

 FRIGHT NIGHT (R) A horror movie that actually got good reviews? You betcha'! ENDS TUESDAY!!

COMING SOON:
 STARTS SEPT. 9th: CONTAGION (PG13)

 STARTS SEPT. 16th: DRIVE (R)

 STARTS SEPT. 23rd: KILLER ELITE (R)

 STARTS SEPT. 30th: DREAM HOUSE (PG13)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK  (R)

Ready for something really scary?
I'm not talking nutty serial killers or monsters or chainsaw-wielding maniacs here either!
This is a thriller from the guy who brought us THE OTHERS and PAN'S LABYRINTH, and this guy, Guillermo del Toro, KNOWS what scares you!
As Summer starts to wane, our thoughts turn to Fall, and that peculiar and palpable "October" feel that has always been indigenous to Decatur and this area.
A well-done roller-coaster ride of a creepy old house, and a certain "secret" it harbors, is good to get those Halloween juices pumping!
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE HELP (PG13)
What can I say? This is the #1 movie in the country, and the #1 movie in Decatur, and the #1 theater showing it!
See it once, and you'll want to see it again!
See it twice, and you'll want to bring friends to see it one more time.
THE HELP is one of the most heart-felt and genuinely touching and funny movies I've seen in many, many moons!
THE HELP  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (1:000 - (4:15)
MON thru THURS: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FRIGHT NIGHT (R)

Senior Charlie Brewster (Anton Yelchin) finally has it all-he's running with the popular crowd and dating the hottest girl in high school. In fact, he's so cool he's even dissing his best friend Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse). But trouble arrives when an intriguing stranger Jerry (Colin Farrell) moves in next door. He seems like a great guy at first, but there's something not quite right-and everyone, including Charlie's mom (Toni Collette), doesn't notice. After witnessing some very unusual activity, Charlie comes to an unmistakable conclusion: Jerry is a vampire preying on his neighborhood. Unable to convince anyone that he's telling the truth, Charlie has to find a way to get rid of the monster himself in this revamp of the comedy-horror classic.
FRIGHT NIGHT (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
MON & TUES: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE DEBT (R)

The espionage thriller begins in 1997, as shocking news reaches retired Mossad secret agents Rachel (Helen Mirren) and Stephan (Tom Wilkinson) about their former colleague David (Ciarán Hinds). All three have been venerated for decades by their country because of the mission that they undertook back in 1966, when the trio (portrayed, respectively, by Jessica Chastain, Marton Csokas, and Sam Worthington tracked down Nazi war criminal Vogel (Jesper Christensen) in East Berlin. At great risk, and at considerable personal cost, the team's mission was accomplished - or was it? The suspense builds in and across two different time periods, with startling action and surprising revelations.
THE DEBT (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
WED & THURS: 7:00
(SHOWTIMES FOR NEXT WEEK ARE NOT SET YET)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NEW SNACK BAR STUFF!!
If you LOVE popcorn, but can't eat it for whatever reasons, you should try our NEW "Popcorner Chips"! We are trying them in TWO flavors: Buttered Popcorn, and Cheesy Jalapeno Popcorn. They are a light and healthy chip, and one bag is only 140 calories for the Butter and 150 for the Cheesy Jalapeno! Plus they are only $1.50 per bag! Other flavors are available, and if these are a hit, we'll try more! Just the first in a long list of proposed new menu items!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
COMING SOON TO OUR SNACK BAR: WhiteCastle Burgers!! and MORE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      AVON THEATER SPECIAL EVENTS!!
            AVAILABLE AT THE AVON! FLICKERING IMAGES: THE HISTORY & HAUNTINGS OF THE AVON THEATER!
            After being out of print for several years, Troy Taylor's classic book on the history, mystery and ghost stories of the Avon Theater returns with a new, revised and updated edition with tales of Decatur's Theater District, the golden age of the Avon, its rebirth in 1999 and of course, the many tales of resident ghosts! Available at the Avon or Click Here for More Information!

            FREE EVENT WITH TROY TAYLOR ON SEPTEMBER 2-- 10:30 PM ONLY!!
            FREE SCREENING OF THE ST. FRANCISVILLE EXPERIMENT WITH LIVE COMMENTARY!
            Join author Troy Taylor for a FREE showing of the infamous St. Francisville Experiment -- a 2000 film in which he played himself -- and enjoy a running commentary throughout the film as he reveals what went on behind the scenes of this unintentionally hilarious horror film! Great FREE, spooky fun!

            FREE SHOWING OF "OUR DECATUR - 1955"!
            SEPTEMBER 3 -- 11:00 AM
            The classic 1955 film about Decatur, Illinois returns to the Avon screen for Labor Day weekend! This is the only known copy in existence so come and enjoy these scenes from Decatur's past!

                  2011 HAUNTED DECATUR TOUR TICKETS ON SALE AT THE AVON -- SEPTEMBER 17!
                  Tickets go on sale in person at the Avon Theater for the Haunted Decatur Halloween Tours on September 17 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM ONLY! Available online after that starting on September 18. At 11:00, join us for a FREE showing of the HAUNTED DECATIR FILM from 1996!
                  Click Here to see the 2011 Tour Schedule!

So...
Sue and I just returned from a houseboat vacation on Kentucky Lake (actually it was Lake Barkley, but that's all part of Kentucky Lake) and I felt like we had lived several "movie moments" from TITANIC, THE PERFECT STORM, and THE AFRICAN QUEEN; but it was Avon "Godfather" Troy Taylor who said our trip sounded more like "National Lampoon's Houseboat Vacation" with Sue and I as the Griswalds!

The whole idea was to get away from civilization totally, and we did just exactly that!
The houseboat could sleep 8, but it was just Sue and I...
-And all the creatures in the forest...
-Including "something" in those dark, forbidding woods that screamed like a banshee on our first night anchored in the private moonlit bay we found.

I don't think it should've mattered that Sue and I knew absolutely nothing about piloting a boat...
-Or about anchoring.
-Or about getting unstuck from mudbanks.
-Or about what to do when one of those gale-like storms comes whipping up, bringing back memories of every disaster-at-sea movie we'd ever seen!

Truly, we were half-way into the 4+ hour drive back home before Sue would even talk about the possibility we might do it again next year!

Then, we got back into town mid-Friday afternoon, dropped our bags at the house, and dove right into another phenomenal Avon weekend with the current biggest movie in the nation, THE HELP.

-But, something is different now...
I caught myself several times this past weekend, thinking of that perfect little private bay we found, and wondering what was happening there right that moment?

It sure did my P.T. Barnum-like show-biz soul good to experience all that peace and tranquility...
-At least until that "something" screamed again in those dense, dark and primal woods!!

Whatever "it" was, it wasn't looking for popcorn with real butter!

AND...Come See Me This Weekend!!
Guess who's BIRTHDAY it is Sunday, Aug. 28th???
You can bring gifts of cash, iPads, cars (BMW's preferred), houseboats, and deeds to private tropical islands to me IN-PERSON on Friday and Saturday (I may not be there on Sunday).
After all, I don't turn 39 every day, y'know!
(just every birthday!)