[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---April 15th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Apr 13 12:34:34 EDT 2011

STARTS FRIDAY, ONLY  AT THE AVON THEATER!!

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"
-Dr. Skippy P. Huston

"The darkness that settles over a movie theater is equivalent to the act of closing the eyes.
Then, on screen, as within the human being, the nocturnal voyage into the unconscious begins."
--Luis Bunuel

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

WEEK OF FRIDAY, APRIL 15th thru THURSDAY, APRIL 21st  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13) The first Avon "must see" of the year! Robert Redford directs an all-star cast about Mary Surratt, the only woman charged in the Lincoln assassination!

CONTINUING:
 ARTHUR (PG13) Helen Mirren, Russell Brand & Jennifer Garner in the re-make of the audience fave!!

 SOURCE CODE (PG13) Mind-bending time travel adventure! Highly recommended!

COMING SOON:
 APRIL 22nd: WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (PG13) From the huge best-selling book! This is one you've all been waiting for!

 APRIL 22nd: WIN WIN (R) Great reviewed indy film with Paul Giamatti.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13)

In one tiny little word: WOW!
When all the kiddies are seeing RIO this weekend, and all the teens and young adults make a blood-drenched beeline to SCREAM 4, here is the PERFECT "Avon movie" for discerning adults!!
The Robert Redford-directed, all-star cast THE CONSPIRATOR.
This is the epic tale of a little-known point in history, the trial of Mary Surratt, the only woman conspirator named, and tried (and convicted) in the Lincoln assassination!

It's a "must-see" film, and on Decatur's biggest screen too!

I'm sure you heard about the invitation-only screening of this at the Lincoln Library in Springfield a few days ago. All those attending thought it was excellent!
The movie business so often forgets, or ignores, the segment of the public that do not care for over-priced animated 3D baloney, and gets not a thrill from the latest re-hash of horror movie or super-hero ad nauseums.

Here we have a "thinking person's" film, and one that is truly an absorbing and moving experience.
Don't miss it.
This was not easy to bring to Decatur on the national release date of April 15th (one day after the assassination in 1865).
It is a limited release.
But, the ol' Head Honcho lobbied heavily for Decatur to open it on the national release date!
Please show your support by packing the Avon's 708 seats!!!

THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SOURCE CODE (PG13)
Ok, here comes one of my rants: What is the problem with all of you in seeing this dynamite movie? Is it the title? It does make sense in the context of the film.
Is it because you think it is merely fan-boy genre fiddle-faddle? How wrong you are!
So many of you go by the critics, well, take a look at the outstanding reviews for this!
Yet, many of you STILL shun this one!!
I know that there is a lot of trash out there on the nation's movie screens, and your entertainment money is tight, but, as a general rule, if we play it at THE AVON that means it has passed our standards of quality!
Granted, sometimes stinkers do get past us, but in 14 years, I can count the number of real bombs on both hands...really.
So, in other words, if you want a real clever thriller that takes the much-liked movie "Groundhog Day" a few serious steps further, give this a chance!
SOURCE CODE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ARTHUR (PG13)

Here is a perfect example why listening to the critics can sometimes be deceiving.
I don't know what the beef a large portion of the nation's film critics had with this one, but the movie-goers that chose to ignore those self-appointed guardians of cinema hubris, were pleasantly surprised to find a very enjoyable movie!

Here's what you really need to pay attention to: Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars. That's right.
Ebert, who is himself an institution.
Ebert, who sees through the multiplex comic-book fan-boy folderol, and joins me and and ever-swelling ranks  professing 3D is the epitome of dumb.

In my opinion, if any of you really are going to take a film critic seriously, the one to go with is Roger Ebert.
(And even he gets it wrong sometimes!)

ARTHUR (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
Well, if you read my blurbs above, I think I already did my quota of "Rants" for this week.

As far as "Raves", come see THE CONSPIRATOR. You'll be raving as well.

And, in the "Ramblings" department: I manage to ramble quite well every week by assailing you with this here ol' newsletter!

So, in other words: I'm signing off for this week!
I want to be first in line Friday to see THE CONSPIRATOR!

Come See Me This Weekend!!

-Skippy Huston