[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---APRIL 8th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Apr 7 13:36:14 EDT 2011

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"
-Dr. Skippy P. Huston

"The darkness that settles over a movie theater is equivalent to the act of closing the eyes.
Then, on screen, as within the human being, the nocturnal voyage into the unconscious begins."
--Luis Bunuel

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  APRIL 8th thru THURSDAY,  APRIL 14th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
 ARTHUR (PG13) Helen Mirren, Russell Brand & Jennifer Garner in the re-make of the audience fave!!

CONTINUING:
 SOURCE CODE (PG13) Mind-bending time travel adventure! Highly recommended!

 INSIDIOUS (PG13) A haunted house thrill ride, that will scare you, but NOT nauseate you!

COMING SOON:
  APRIL 15th: THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13) The first Avon "must see" of the year! Robert Redford directs an all-star cast about Mary Surratt, the only woman charged in the Lincoln assassination!

 APRIL 22nd: WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (PG13) From the huge best-selling book! This is one you've all been waiting for!

 APRIL 22nd: WIN WIN (R) Great reviewed indy film with Paul Giamatti.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ARTHUR (PG13)
It was almost 30 years to the day (make you feel old?) that the original version of this fable with Dudley Moore and Liza Minnelli set the box-office on fire. I am sure many of today's audiences don't even know the original, or have maybe seen it laying on the dusty shelves of video store catalog sections or on cable showings.
Now, the story has been "re-invented" with new comic star Russell Brand in the lead role, and Helen Mirren as the "butler/nanny" that was originally portrayed by the late great John Gielgud.
This promises a good early-Spring diversion, and a lot of laughs!
ARTHUR (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SOURCE CODE (PG13)
Ok, here comes one of my rants: What is the problem with all of you in seeing this dynamite movie? Is it the title? It does make sense in the context of the film. Is it because you think it is fan-boy genre fiddle-faddle? How wrong you are!
So many of you go by the critics, well, take a look at the outstanding reviews for this!
I know that there is a lot of trash out there on the nation's movie screens, and money is tight, but, as a general rule, if we play it at THE AVON that means it has passed our standards of quality! Granted, sometimes stinkers do get past us, but in 14 years, I can count the number of real bombs on both hands...really.
So, in other words, if you want a real clever thriller that takes the much-liked movie "Groundhog Day" a few serious steps further, give this a chance!
SOURCE CODE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

INSIDIOUS (PG13)
I love good ol' haunted house stories.
In fact, I am somewhat known for such fare for all the years I conducted the "Haunted Decatur Tours", which I founded with author Troy Taylor back in 1994.
Many of you like a good scare too, but don't like the blood and gore bent many so-called "horror films" have taken these days.
Take a look at the PG13 rating here.
INSIDIOUS is not going to make you nauseous and queasy, it is just going to creep you out totally.
Want a ghosty thrill-ride? This is it!
INSIDIOUS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++
RAVES, RANTS & RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO

Spring has sprung!
And, of course, with the temps rising and falling constantly a lot of us are getting colds and flu (me included).
But soon the weather will stabilize, and we will be on our way to a wonderful Avon Summer!

Spring is a time of "change" and "new beginnings", and not only will you see some familiar faces back behind our counter you haven't seen for awhile, as our college girls come home to work for the summer, there will be some other exciting changes I can't tell you about yet, but will soon!

Suffice to say: The Avon is a constantly evolving and re-inventing entity!
That is why it seems to defy the odds and stays operational when so many other local endeavors have failed.

Like a shark, we must constantly move forward, or perish!
-And we are moving forward, with those "changes" that will be announced in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Don't worry!
Your AVON will still be the way you love it, and I will still be at the helm as the "Head Honcho", but some behind-the-scenes fabric and foundation will change for the better.
'nuff said for now!!

Come See Me This Weekend!