[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---April 29th, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Apr 27 11:44:00 EDT 2011

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  APRIL 29th  thru THURSDAY, MAY 5th ONLY!!
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"
-Dr. Skippy P. Huston
"The darkness that settles over a movie theater is equivalent to the act of closing the eyes.
Then, on screen, as within the human being, the nocturnal voyage into the unconscious begins."
--Luis Bunuel

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre
WEEK OF FRIDAY,  APRIL 29th  thru THURSDAY, MAY 5th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

CONTINUING:
 THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13) The first Avon "must see" of the year! Robert Redford directs an all-star cast about Mary Surratt, the only woman charged in the Lincoln assassination!

  WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (PG13) From the huge best-selling book! This is one you've all been waiting for!

  WIN WIN (R) Great reviewed indy film with Paul Giamatti.

COMING SOON:
 MAY 6th: THOR (PG13) The Summer Blockbusters Bust Loose!!

 MAY 6th: SOMETHING BORROWED (PG13) It's one of those famous Avon chick flicks, with Kate Hudson!

 MAY 20th: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN--PART 4 (PG13) YES!! More of that same popcorn fun with Johnny Depp at the helm!!

 MAY 26th: KUNG FU PANDA 2 (PG) You know you're dying to see this one! You KNOW you are!

 MAY 26th: THE HANGOVER PART II (R) The rowdy sequel to the most successful R-rated comedy in history! This is going to be WILD!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (PG13)
It seems we have been promoting this movie for the entire past year, but it actually has been about 6 months...
>From the wildly best-selling book comes this love triangle set against the circus world of long ago.
REESE WITHERSPOON in a sultry role, joins current "Twilight" heartthrob ROBERT PATTINSON, Oscar-winner CHRISTOPH WALTZ, and veteran HAL HOLBROOK along with a great supporting cast, in what promises to be a BIG "Avon Favorite"!!
We've got this in the main theater to take advantage of our giant screen there.
See it on Decatur's biggest screen, and one of Central Illinois' largest too!
WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++

THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13)

In one tiny little word: WOW!
The Robert Redford-directed, all-star cast, THE CONSPIRATOR.
This is the epic tale of a little-known point in history: the trial of Mary Surratt, the only woman conspirator named, and tried (and convicted) in the Lincoln assassination!

It's a "must-see" movie!!

Here we have a "thinking person's" film, and one that is truly an absorbing and moving experience.
Don't miss it.
THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WIN WIN (R)
Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan, with an outstanding cast in a film that really NEEDS that "word-of-mouth" buzz!

All last weekend, we saw this: People coming late for THE CONSPIRATOR (note: Do NOT come late for THE CONSPIRATOR! We may not let you in after the first few minutes! There is a good reason for that, and its for your own good in order to properly enjoy the movie), ok, now where was I? Oh....people coming late for THE CONSPIRATOR and deciding to go to WIN WIN, and coming out RAVING how good it is!!

Long-time Avon fans may recall the directors's previous films, THE STATION AGENT or the Oscar-contender from a few years back, THE VISITOR.

WIN WIN is an excellent movie that you will want to talk up to your friends too!
Don't let the fact you've never heard of it, or it doesn't have spots on TV every few minutes (like so many really BAD movies do)  keep you from seeing this one!!!
WIN WIN (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A New York Film Journal article about your favorite Decatur theater came out this week...you can see it be clicking on this link:

http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/news-and-features/features/cinemas/e3i080f25b45c6bbd504ebb109a715d0146

I have to admit, I think its one of the best-written articles I've ever seen about the Avon, and that encompasses a whole lot of years and some really good writers!
Check it out and see what you think!
(And you ADM peeps out there, you have a really good mention about your Sunflower oil!)
Those of you who have been concerned because we haven't listed any upcoming films beyond the end of April in recent weeks, will see that has been rectified here.
There was a good reason for all that jazz, but it certainly was NOT that we were "on the way out", or some other such nonsense.
Unfortunately, there is always some scurvy dog who will start rumors about negative poop like that, and its too bad they do. Oh, well.
As we begin our 14th year of operations, I reflect back to Easter of 1999, when we had no idea what we were doing (still don't!) and re-opened the long-closed ol' Avon not knowing if we would last a month! (In fact, some of our detractors gave us 6 months, tops!---in fact, I, personally, gave us 6 months, tops!).
So many years, so many memories.
BUT...there's a lot of years and memories yet to come before I head for the big balcony in the sky (I hope!).

How odd it is to consider I was still in my 40's when I re-opened the Avon---and most people still think I am!!

I'm Waiting to See ALL of YOU This Weekend!!