[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---APRIL 22nd, 2011

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Apr 20 14:24:00 EDT 2011

"WEEK OF FRIDAY,  APRIL 22nd thru THURSDAY, APRIL 28th  ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

Click this link: http://www.facebook.com/TheAvonTheatre

OPENING:
   WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (PG13) From the huge best-selling book! This is one you've all been waiting for!

   WIN WIN (R) Great reviewed indy film with Paul Giamatti. See Leonard Maltin's rave review below.

CONTINUING:
 THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13) The first Avon "must see" of the year! Robert Redford directs about Mary Surratt, the only woman charged in the Lincoln assassination!

COMING SOON:
Lotsa Good Stuff!!!
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (PG13)
It seems we have been promoting this move for the entire past year, but it actually has been about 6 months...
>From the wildly best-selling book comes this love triangle set against the circus world of long ago.
REESE WITHERSPOON in a sultry role, joins current "Twilight" heartthrob ROBERT PATTINSON, Oscar-winner CHRISTOPH WALTZ, and veteran HAL HOLBROOK along with a great supporting cast, in what promises to be a BIG "Avon Favorite"!!
We're opening this in the main theater to take advantage of our giant screen there.
See it on Decatur's biggest screen, and one of Central Illinois' largest too!
WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++

THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13)

In one tiny little word: WOW!
The Robert Redford-directed, all-star cast, THE CONSPIRATOR.
This is the epic tale of a little-known point in history: the trial of Mary Surratt, the only woman conspirator named, and tried (and convicted) in the Lincoln assassination!

It's a "must-see" movie!!

Here we have a "thinking person's" film, and one that is truly an absorbing and moving experience.
Don't miss it.
This was not easy to bring to Decatur on the national release date of April 15th (one day after the assassination in 1865).
It is a very limited release.
But, the ol' Head Honcho lobbied heavily for Decatur to open it on the national release date!
Please show your support by packing the Avon's seats!!!
Last weekend we saw more of our loyal Avon crowd than we have seen for many moons!
(Read my "Rants" column below to see how that turned out)
I know you've all been waiting for something to sink your teeth in, well, make it THE CONSPIRATOR!!
THE CONSPIRATOR (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WIN WIN (R)
As is sometimes the case with very highly-acclaimed, yet little-known films, we let the Avon friend, nationally-known critic LEONARD MALTIN take over...
WIN WIN reviewed by Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

Tom McCarthy made an impressive filmmaking debut eight years ago as the writer and director of the indie hit The Station Agent, which introduced us to Peter Dinklage and Bobby Cannavale. He followed it with The Visitor, which earned Richard Jenkins an Oscar nomination. Being an actor himself, he writes great parts for performers he admires, and he’s hit the bull’s-eye once again with Win Win, which stars Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan.
Giamatti can play “big” characters or he can be an everyman: here he’s completely convincing as a small-town lawyer who’s having a tough time making ends meet. He tries to shield his desperation from his wife (Ryan), and their two kids, and works out his anxieties by running with his pal Bobby Cannavale and coaching the local high school wrestling team, along with a colleague played by Jeffrey Tambor.

One day, while handling a court proceeding for a local man who’s in the first stages of dementia, he seizes on an opportunity to help himself out. It isn’t illegal, but it isn’t quite kosher, either, and that’s what sets the story in motion. It involves Giamatti and his family in the lives of the man’s grandson, a troubled teenage boy—and puts his ethics on the line.

Win Win isn’t a morality play; it’s just a really good story. But it does deal with an issue that couldn’t be more relevant: Where do we draw the line when it comes to survival if it means clouding our sense of right and wrong? It’s this burning issue, presented in everyday terms, that enables us to invest emotionally in Win Win, with the help of a fine acting ensemble, which also includes Melanie Lynskey, Burt Young, Margo Martindale, and newcomer Alex Shaffer. I found it enormously satisfying; in fact, I think it’s the best film of the new year, and I hope it has the same kind of success Tom McCarthy’s other films have enjoyed.

WIN WIN (R)
(Showtimes in brackets denote $5.75 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Let me set the scene for this little anecdote:

It was last weekend, and we had been suffering through the slowest Spring in our history...

It seems that ALL the movies were flopping, except for the "other guys" inane little ditties for the kiddies, and we all know that was merely a byproduct of "cabin fever".
-So, after fighting tooth-and-nail to win the exclusive run of THE CONSPIRATOR, I was still a bit nervous!
After all, I have learned in this business, there is almost never such a thing as a "sure thing"...

The Friday opening came, and the first matinee show was a lot larger than usual.
Then, the nighttime show came, and that was huge!

I was present at all the "greet-outs", and heard the audience raving about what a wonderful and absorbing film THE CONSPIRATOR was!

Then, after we were closed, it was time to check the data base to see how we had fared against the competition.
I was not expecting much, after all, at the "other guys" the latest 3D wallet-shrinker "Rio" had opened, as had the latest blood-soaked fodder for the young and horrific, "Scream 4", and, on top of that, "Hop" was still doing solid biz after 3 weeks...
I opened the data base, hoping we had come in at least at #4 in town.

Imagine my shock when the figures proved we were NUMBER ONE!!!!!
Yes, THE CONSPIRATOR had beaten ALL those others!!!

Thinking it had to be a fluke, I cautiously did that same comparison on Saturday night: We were #1 again!!

...and SUNDAY?? The SAME THING!!

THE CONSPIRATOR beat ALL SCREENS in Decatur ALL WEEKEND LONG!!

Now, YOU need to come and see WHY!!
THE CONSPIRATOR really is a terrific film for thinking adults and younger people who actually have a sense of history. (rare creatures, indeed)
Check out the face-lift on our website, www.theAvon.com there are still some bugs to be worked out, but I think you'll like the changes so far.
While you're at it, did you notice our new newsletter banner on top? if you can't see it or the pictures in this newsletter, try and set your email to receive "html". It's unfortunate that some of you see this newsletter in a text-only version.
This is Easter weekend, and is not traditionally a very busy weekend at the movie houses of America.
Maybe the weather not being forecast to be optimal will help with that.
As hinted at a few weeks ago, there are a number of ideas we are contemplating trying. Everything from an expanded menu in the Twins only, to possibly revisiting the beer & wine sales we were approved for by the city council 6 years ago.
I always meant to get back to that concept, but time just rushed on.
Would you like a glass of wine and some chicken tenders with your movie? Or maybe a slice of pizza and a beer?
It would be in the Twins ONLY, but the possibilities are endless!
We Got Great Movies for this Weekend!
Come See Me!!