[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---OCTOBER 1st, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Sep 29 22:12:02 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, OCT. 1st thru THURSDAY, OCT. 7th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

CONTINUING:

WALL STREET 2: MONEY NEVER SLEEPS (PG13) Michael Douglas reprises his Oscar-winning role from 20 years ago!
LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D (PG) A 3D MINDBLOWER!!
THE TOWN (R) Ben Affleck, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner in a hard-edged crime thriller!

COMING SOON: LOTS of good movies!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WALL STREET 2--Money Never Sleeps (PG13)
Well, mostly the opinions from the opening week of this are EXCELLENT!!
MICHAEL DOUGLAS reprises his Oscar-winning role of Mr. "Greed is Good" Gordon Gekko, and a supporting cast including up-and-comers SHIA LaBEOUF and his real-life honey CAREY MULLIGAN (the terrific Oscar-nominated actress from last year's "An Education" and the little-seen tear-jerker "The Greatest") combine with JOSH BROLIN (James's son and Barbra Streisand's step-son) and a knock-out supporting cast make this a really satisfying and timely entertainment!

WALL STREET 2--Money Never Sleeps (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS--The Owls of Ga'Hoole (PG)
Let me be brutally frank here: I don't really like today's 3D movies.
I think filmmakers today get too involved with the 3D gimmick and leave story-telling by the wayside...
BUT, having said that, let me tell you that "The Legend of the Guardians" not only has the best 3D we've ever had at the Avon, but one whale of a story too!
Last weekend's promotion of having LIVE OWLS was a huge success, and we wish we could repeat it this weekend, but we can't...
The Owls already have dates elsewhere.
BUT...the movie is still here, and what an experience it is!
LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS--The Owls of Ga'Hoole (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00) - 7:00
SAT (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
SUN: (1:00) - (4:00)
MON thru WED: 6:30
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE TOWN (R)
This is the last week for this terrific powerhouse of a crime film!
BEN AFFLECK not only directed and co-wrote the script for this, he also stars...
What's funny about that is he is blown off the screen by Oscar-nominated JEREMY RENNER ("The Hurt Locker") and Emmy-winner, JON HAMM (TV's superb "Mad Men").
Jon Hamm's portrayal of a tough-as-nails FBI agent is a movie-star making performance, and most of us already know about the Jimmy Cagney-like intensity of Jeremy Renner.
This is one of the best "caper" movies in recent years, and has some action sequences that will rock your world!
SEE IT BEFORE IT IS GONE!!
THE TOWN (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:15) - 7:15
SAT: (1:15) -(4:15) - 7:15
SUN: (1:15) - (4:15)
MON thru WED: 6:40
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

NEW FILM CLASSES STARTING THURSDAY, SEPT. 30th!

AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES---PART 4
(8 weeks of screening and discussion)
I really like the Americana series because it can be virtually anything!
You can see epics, dramas, comedies, musicals, action films; as long as they are "portraits of America" they can be shown for Americana class!
(But, as many of you already know: I NEVER tell you what you are going to see beforehand. You just gotta' trust me!)

We have class flyers with enrollment info in BOTH of our lobbies, or you can sign-up on that night of the first class.
There will be a Richland official there to get you started, and then you are in for the next 8 weeks of a wonderful world of screening and discussions!

I hope I see you for this class!
This is my TENTH YEAR doing these classes (who woulda thunk that?) and I think you will really enjoy them!
The Richland-at-the-Avon film classes are a Decatur institution now!
Sign up and see for yourself!

NOTE: At this late date, it is probably best to sign-up Thursday night at about 6:15 (class starts at 6:30).
A Richland official will be there, in-person, to get you ready!!

Come See Me Soon!!
I'm Looking for You and You and...YOU!!