[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---SEPT. 10th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Sep 8 18:21:03 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, SEPT. 10th thru THURSDAY, SEPT. 16th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
OPENING:
FLIPPED (PG) You'll FLIP over this nostalgic ode to first love! Aidan Quinn, John Mahoney, Anthony Edwards star!

CONTINUING:
GET LOW (PG13) Bill Murray, Robert Duvall & Sissy Spacek in a tall tale that is almost true!
WINTER'S BONE (R) This is the most-honored and critically-acclaimed independent American film of the year!!
GOING THE DISTANCE (R) Drew Barrymore in a little bit naughty love story about long-distance relationships!

COMING SOON:
SEPT. 17th: THE TOWN (R) Ben Affleck, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner in a hard-edged crime thriller!
SEPT. 24th: WALL STREET 2: MONEY NEVER SLEEPS (PG13) Michael Douglas reprises his Oscar-winning role from 20 years ago!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FLIPPED (PG)
Do you remember your first love?
Boy, I do! (And many who are reading this are old enough friends of mine to remember her too!)
Yes, first love.
Too many confuse "love" with "lust", or "desire", and maybe have never really experienced that sappy and illogical stupid feeling that makes you so happy, yet so miserable at the same time.
Love can be a big problem.
But, the world would stop spinning without it!
This wonderful and nostalgic movie from director Rob Reiner is tailor-made for the Avon crowd.
It stars such solid performers as AIDAN QUINN, JOHN MAHONEY and ANTHONY EDWARDS, and will take you back to a simple and innocent 1960's world.
Remember, as you have found out this summer, it is the "small" pictures that stick with you the longest.
FLIPPED is not going to break down the doors at the multiplex, and its not going to win a boatload of awards either...
It's just a movie I think you will FLIP over, that's all!
FLIPPED (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GET LOW (PG13)
ROBERT DUVALL, BILL MURRAY & SISSY SPACEK.

Take a close look at those three names again, and think of the movies they have brought you that have molded your life.
This is no lightweight cast!
And this movie, which has the distinction of being the #1 highest-grossing film in the Decatur area for Labor Day weekend, is a pure treasure!
It's a tale that is, well, pretty "tall", but I can tell you that a LOT of it is true!
Don't miss this!
GET LOW (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:00)
SAT: (2:00) - (5:00)
SUN: (2:00)
MON thru THURS: (4:30)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WINTER'S BONE (R)
It's always amusing to hear the comments after people experience this shattering film...
For every person who does not care for it, there are TEN more who see it as the masterpiece it is!
Some see it as depressing, but I see it as just the opposite.
Yes, this mystery set in the poorest part of the Ozarks, can be tough in the way some people have to live, but I see it more as the exhilarating and giddy excitement that movies like this can still even get MADE, much less win so much critical acclaim it is astounding!
Even Stephen King calls this one of the "Best Films of the Year", which is quite a statement from him when there are really no supernatural or horror elements to it.
Or, maybe there is?
Funny thing is that some of those relative few who at first don't think they cared for it, end up talking about it with others in the lobby for a long, long time!
There is "something" here.
It also has the most staggering break-out performance by a newcomer actress, JENNIFER LAWRENCE, I have ever seen. EVER!
If you've been on the fence about seeing it, don't delay any longer!
WINTER'S BONE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 8:00
SAT: 8:00
SUN:(5:00)
MON thru THURS: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GOING THE DISTANCE (R)
DREW BARRYMORE and CHRISTINA APPLEGATE in a raunchy R-rated comedy about long-distance romance and all the follies and foibles of it.
Look at this, in a way, as the polar opposite of our movie "Flipped".
We all know that long-distance romances usually don't work out.
But, sometimes they do!
Maybe it was tougher to make them work in the days before texting and cellphones and webcams, or...
Maybe it was better to love the "mystery" of the long-distance sweetie?
GOING THE DISTANCE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru THURS: (4:45) - 7:30

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

I don't know what it was last weekend; maybe because school is starting or something, but I had SO many requests about when my Richland-at-the-Avon film classes start for the Fall!
So, just to be clear:
THE NEW RICHLAND-AT-THE-AVON film classes start THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30th @ 6:30!!
This Fall, we're going to move up a course we usually save for late-Winter and do it now!

Our course starting September 30th will be:

AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES---PART 4
(8 weeks of screening and discussion)

I really like the Americana series because it can be virtually anything!
You can see epics, dramas, comedies, musicals, action films; as long as they are "portraits of America" they can be shown for class!
(But, as many of you already know: I NEVER tell you what you are going to see beforehand. You just gotta' trust me!)

We have class flyers with enrollment info in BOTH of our lobbies, or you can sign-up on that night of the first class.
There will be a Richland official there to get you started, and then you are in for the next 8 weeks of a wonderful world of screening and discussions!

I hope I see you for this class!
This is my TENTH YEAR doing these classes (who woulda thunk that?) and I think you will really enjoy them!

Come See Me This Weekend!
"FLIPPED" is right up your alley!!