[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---SEPT. 24th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Sep 22 17:04:09 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 24th thru THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
OPENING:
WALL STREET 2: MONEY NEVER SLEEPS (PG13) Michael Douglas reprises his Oscar-winning role from 20 years ago!
LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D (PG) Meet LIVE OWLS at 1 & 4 on Sat and Sun (25th & 26th)

CONTINUING:
THE TOWN (R) Ben Affleck, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner in a hard-edged crime thriller!

COMING SOON: LOTS of good movies!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WALL STREET 2--Money Never Sleeps (PG13)
I think the timing on the release of this new sequel to the box-office hit from 1987 couldn't be better!
This is the role that won MICHAEL DOUGLAS the Oscar back then, and, many of the events portrayed in the original film that seemed a bit fanciful, have now, sadly, become all-too-common.
As Douglas' character frequently said in the original film, "greed is good"...Well, now that same character discovers, after years in prison, that greed is not only, as he said, "good", but standard operating procedure!
Young star SHIA LaBEOUF, co-stars with hot-as-a-pistol CAREY MULLIGAN, the fabulous young actress who was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for "An Education" last year, and will soon be seen at the Avon in "Never Let Me Go", among a very impressive list of co-stars.
Michael Douglas's recent well-publicized health problems lend another level of urgency to seeing this film.
I have not seen it yet, but the early reviews are mostly positive.
Some of you may remember it was due to be released last Spring, but the studio waited until Fall to, presumably, give it more of a chance for Oscar consideration.

WALL STREET 2--Money Never Sleeps (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru WED: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS--The Owls of Ga'Hoole (PG)
Make special note of this Saturday and Sunday showings at 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM, as we will have LIVE OWLS there for you to say howdy to! The Raptor Center is bringing the fabulous owl, "Banchee" to fly around the theater before the show! (Talk about 4-D!!!)

This super adaptation from the well-known children's books has been said to be the BEST use of the 3D technology since "Avatar"!!
You've all seen the previews for this, and I know I am really anxious to see it!

BE WARNED: The 3D theater has limited seating (unlike the big Avon), so get there early! Especially on the days when the LIVE Owls will be there!

LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS--The Owls of Ga'Hoole (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru WED: 6:30
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE TOWN (R)
Ok, this just started last Friday, and I have already seen it THREE TIMES!
Does that tell you anything?
This is one powerhouse of a movie!
In my opinion, Best Actor nominee, JEREMY RENNER and multi-Emmy winner TV star JON HAMM, are some of the most impressive elements of this picture.
BEN AFFLECK stars and directs, but wisely lets his co-stars have plenty of screen time.
This was the #1 movie in America last weekend, so, no more convincing should be necessary!
THE TOWN (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:15) - 7:15
SAT & SUN: (1:15) -(4:15) - 7:15
MON thru WED: 6:40
THURS: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

NEW FILM CLASSES STARTING THURSDAY, SEPT. 30th!

AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES---PART 4
(8 weeks of screening and discussion)
I really like the Americana series because it can be virtually anything!
You can see epics, dramas, comedies, musicals, action films; as long as they are "portraits of America" they can be shown for Americana class!
(But, as many of you already know: I NEVER tell you what you are going to see beforehand. You just gotta' trust me!)

We have class flyers with enrollment info in BOTH of our lobbies, or you can sign-up on that night of the first class.
There will be a Richland official there to get you started, and then you are in for the next 8 weeks of a wonderful world of screening and discussions!

I hope I see you for this class!
This is my TENTH YEAR doing these classes (who woulda thunk that?) and I think you will really enjoy them!
The Richland-at-the-Avon film classes are a Decatur institution now!
Sign up and see for yourself!

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'm Looking for You and You and...YOU!!