[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---OCTOBER 22nd, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Tue Oct 19 17:29:29 EDT 2010

Ashley "The Mangler" Petty                                            Skip "Coolness" Huston
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, OCT. 22nd thru THURSDAY, OCT. 28th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

It's that time of year again!
OUR ANNUAL COSTUME BALL!!
The ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW  IS COMING to our stage & screen!!

Friday October 22nd, and Saturday October 23rd join us for MIDNIGHT showings of Rocky Horror complete with the Millikin shadow cast and 100's of your nearest and dearest "Transylvanians".

It's a special kind of chaos, and you shouldn't miss it!
Costumes ARE encouraged, but certainly not required. Come as BARE as you DARE, or just wear your PJs, we don't mind!

The shows are FRIDAY, Oct. 22nd and SATURDAY, Oct. 23rd at MIDNIGHT!
TICKETS ARE ONLY $10 AND ARE ON SALE NOW!!!

Prop bags will be available for sale with the Millikin shadow cast, but if you choose to bring your own, please be aware that our staff WILL be checking your bags when you enter the theater, and we WILL make you get rid of anything we don't like! NO OUTSIDE FOOD ALLOWED!!

SOME OF OUR TRANSYLVANIAN STAFF FROM LAST YEAR'S ROCKY HORROR!!

OPENING:
SECRETARIAT (PG) Finally at the Avon!! Straight from the heart!! Bring the whole family for this one!
FRI & SAT @ MIDNIGHT!!:
 THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (NR) Our Annual Halloween Costume Ball on Stage and Screen!!

CONTINUING:
LIFE AS WE KNOW IT (PG13) Katherine Heigl & Josh Duhamel in a rollicking romantic comedy! ENDS SOON!!

COMING SOON:
OCT. 29th & 30th @ 10:30 PM: FREE HALLOWEEN SHOCKERS hosted by TROY TAYLOR IN-PERSON!! FREE!! FREE!! FREE!!
OCT. 29th: WAITING FOR SUPERMAN (PG) The documentary you MUST see about our American school system!!

NOV. 5th: CONVICTION (R) 2-time Oscar winner Hilary Swank, Minnie Driver and Sam Rockwell in an amazing true story!
NOV. 12th: TBA!!
NOV. 19th: NEW HARRY POTTER!! (It isn't going to be released in 3D after all, YAY!!)
...and MORE!!!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SECRETARIAT (PG)
As we sometimes do with a very special film, we let Avon supporter and nationally film critics LEONARD MALTIN give you his take.
So, heeeere's Leonard!

SECRETARIAT reviewed by Leonard Maltin
The secret of this film's success is that it isn't just the saga of a famous, prize-winning horse; it's also the story of his owner, a suburban housewife and mom who stepped into a man's world and took charge of an animal she believed to be a champion. It documents a time in the late 1960s and early 70s, when social change was in the air, and women's roles in society were changing, if slowly. Mike Rich's screenplay captures the time quite well, as do all the visual details onscreen. Those qualities-plus an exceptionally good cast-lift this above the norm for sports movies and underdog tales.
I can't think of a better role for Diane Lane, who's (finally) come into her own in recent years after decades of solid work. She is effortlessly convincing as a woman whose devotion to her father, the owner of a Virginia horse farm, and single-minded determination to succeed gave her strength she'd never tapped before. She's surrounded by equally expert actors, including John Malkovich, James Cromwell, Scott Glenn, Nelsan Ellis, Dylan Baker, and the wonderful Margo Martindale.

The racing scenes are exceptional, and reveal how ingenuity and a determination to reinvent the wheel can sometimes pay off. I don't recall seeing a horse race filmed from such a low angle before-or a point-of-view shot that makes you feel as if you're sitting on top of the horse itself. Cinematographer Dean Semler and director Randall Wallace deserve credit for raising the bar, along with their sound team (including the multi-Oscar-nominated Kevin O'Connell), in these sequences.

Perhaps the most surprising achievement is that Secretariat creates drama and even suspense although we already know the outcome. The story droops a bit during the second act, but it still works. Because it tells a feel-good story in an easily digestible form, it may strike some people as old-fashioned. I have a feeling it will play especially well to mature moviegoers, but I would hate to see such a good piece of work be dismissed as just a movie for old codgers. It deserves a wider audience. And whatever your feelings about the value of the film, there is no disputing the fact that its raw material is one of the great sports stories of the 20th century.

Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

SECRETARIAT (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LIFE AS WE KNOW IT (PG13)

Now this is a funny and well-rounded one!
Those of you who shunned this as a mere "chick flick" were doing it a disservice!
This is a whole lot of fun, and you need to get here to see it before it goes bye-bye!!
LIFE AS WE KNOW IT (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

Opening on, Friday, Oct. 29th, The Avon is very proud to have been selected to present this VERY special movie!

This insightful pathology of the American Public School system is not only one of the "must-see" films of the year, but has very timely local appeal as well!
Stay tuned for possible "extra programming" elements with this presentation!
Can you believe it is almost Halloween?
Soon, it will be Thanksgiving!
-Then Christmas!
-Then New Years!
-Then we settle in for a long wintry blast!!!
I MISS SUMMER ALREADY!!!
(Of course, those of you who know me well, know that I start to miss Summer about Aug. 1st!!)

Come See Us This Weekend!
Whether its ROCKY HORROR or SECRETARIAT, or LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, or ALL THREE!!