[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---OCTOBER 8th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Oct 7 14:01:27 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8th thru THURSDAY, OCTOBER 14th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
LIFE AS WE KNOW IT (PG13) Katherine Heigl & Josh Duhamel in a rollicking romantic comedy!

CONTINUING:
WALL STREET 2: MONEY NEVER SLEEPS (PG13) Michael Douglas reprises his Oscar-winning role from 20 years ago!
THE TOWN (R) Ben Affleck, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner in a hard-edged crime thriller! ENDS SOON!!

COMING SOON:
NEXT WEEK (OCT. 15th): NEVER LET ME GO (R) Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan & Keira Knightley in a stunner!!
OCT. 22nd & 23rd @ MIDNIGHT!!: THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (NR) Our Annual Halloween Costume Bash on Stage and Screen!!
NOV. 5th: CONVICTION (R) 2-time Oscar winner Hilary Swank, Minnie Driver and Sam Rockwell in an amazing true story!
NOV. 19th: NEW HARRY POTTER!!
...and MORE!!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LIFE AS WE KNOW IT (PG13)
Here are appealing stars KATHERINE HEIGL and JOSH DUHAMEL in a new and frothy romantic comedy!
As we do sometimes, here's a couple of excerpts from reviews:
"There's no escaping the sitcom premise -- mismatched couple who hate each other reluctantly forced to raise orphaned baby -- but "Life as We Know It" milks its formula (pardon the expression) for about all it can. Katherine Heigl has already done enough similar movies to warrant grading on a curve (a "Knocked Up" here, a "27 Dresses" there), so the mild revelation will be Josh Duhamel, though not to anyone who admired his romantic-comedy credentials from "Win a Date With Tad Hamilton." It's a predictable date-night diversion, true, but the stork will still likely deliver Warner Bros. reasonably happy returns." VARIETY MAGAZINE

"...The best thing about Life as We Know It is the funny and snappy performance by Katherine Heigl as Holly. She has great comic timing and in one scene where she flirts with a handsome pediatrician (Josh Lucas) at her café, this actress shows why she is such an accomplished player of romantic comedy; she is pleasing to both the eye and the ear. Most of what happens in the story, directed by Greg Berlanti, is predictable. But thanks to the pizzazz provided by Heigl, there are plenty of bright comic moments to savor..." By Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat

So, c'mon down and spend some time with us and one of those famous Avon "chick flicks"!!

LIFE AS WE KNOW IT (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00) - 7:00
SAT (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WALL STREET 2--Money Never Sleeps (PG13)
I heard some people in the lobby talking about how this film could very well be MICHAEL DOUGLAS' last...
That is not exactly a prospect I want to consider, but the fact remains he is battling 4th stage throat cancer at this moment.
The real irony that Michael's legendary movie-star papa, 90+ year old Kirk Douglas, may actually outlive him, is a sobering one indeed.
But, as any doctor or theologian will tell you: Where there is life, there is hope...
Michael Douglas is a tough guy, and he is not one to go gently into that dark night!
(Especially with a young wife and children who need him).

And, this really is a super movie! It is very timely, and is a logical progression to the first entry from over 20 years ago.
Come see it for what it is, and not for the epitaph it may become.

WALL STREET 2--Money Never Sleeps (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE TOWN (R)
There are too many people who still don't know what this is! I know the title is rather bland, but the movie is anything but that!
I even put on the marquee this week above the title: "Cops and Robbers", because that tells the tale perfectly!
BUT, what a thriller it is!
Here is BEN AFFLECK underscoring the directorial promise he gave us with "Gone, Baby, Gone", and a terrific cast including Oscar nominee JEREMY RENNER and Emmy-winner from TV's "Mad Men" JON HAMM (who literally explodes on the screen! He is going to be a big movie star!)
This is probably the FINAL week for this, so don't delay any longer!!

THE TOWN (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:15) - 8:15
SAT: (2:15) -(5:15) - 8:15
SUN: (2:15) - (5:15)
MON thru WED: 6:40
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
Here's a real treat, folks! A little something from our own General Manager, Ashley Petty!!

It's that time of year again!
The ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW IS COMING!

Friday October 22nd, and Saturday October 23rd join us for midnight showings of Rocky Horror complete with Millikin shadow cast and hundreds of your nearest and dearest "Transylvanians".

It's a special kind of chaos, and you shouldn't miss it!
Costumes ARE encouraged, but certainly not required. Come as BARE as you DARE, or just wear your PJs, we don't mind!

The shows are FRIDAY, Oct. 22nd and SATURDAY, Oct. 23rd at MIDNIGHT!
TICKETS ARE ONLY $10 AND ARE ON SALE NOW!!!

Prop bags will be available for sale with the Millikin shadow cast, but if you choose to bring your own, please be aware that our staff WILL be checking your bags when you enter the theater, and we WILL make you get rid of anything we don't like!

-Ashley "The Mangler" Petty
Come See Me Soon!!
I'm Looking for You and You and...YOU!!