[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---NOVEMBER 5th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Nov 3 17:48:17 EDT 2010

Ashley Petty-(General Mangler)                                        Skip Huston-(Head Honcho)
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, NOV. 5th thru THURSDAY, NOV. 11th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
OPENING:
HEREAFTER (PG13) Director CLINT EASTWOOD brings a compelling tale starring MATT DAMON to the screen!
(Starts Wednesday) MORNING GLORY (PG13) Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton & Rachel McAdams!! Need we say more??

CONTINUING:
SECRETARIAT (PG) Finally at the Avon!! Straight from the heart!! Bring the whole family for this one!
WAITING FOR SUPERMAN (PG) The documentary you MUST see about our American school system!!

COMING SOON:
NOV. 12th: UNSTOPPABLE (PG13) Denzel Washington in a mind-blowing action film about a runaway train!
NOV. 19th: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS--PT. 1 (It isn't going to be released in 3D after all, YAY!!)
...and MORE!!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HEREAFTER (PG13)
As we do sometimes, here is LEONARD MALTIN'S review of HEREAFTER...

Hereafter reviewed by Leonard Maltin
For a film that is alternately emotional and cerebral, Hereafter grabs your attention with a scene worthy of a high-end disaster movie: an incredible depiction of a Tsunami. Knowing that it's coming, as many people will from the previews and advertisements, won't lessen the impact of this tour de force, which is frighteningly believable in every detail. The balance of the film divides itself among three separate stories: the aftermath of that disaster for a French TV journalist and host (Cecile de France) who dies briefly and is brought back to life, a young boy whose twin is killed in an accident, leaving his brother desperately lonely, and an ordinary fellow in San Francisco (played by Matt Damon) who no longer wants to use his gift of clairvoyance to speak with the dead because he regards it as a curse.
The episodic screenplay marks a departure for writer Peter Morgan, whose work up to now has focused on reality based drama (Frost/Nixon, The Queen, et al). It's thoughtful and obviously sincere, which is why I was absorbed at every turn, even though I wasn't sure where it was heading. Director Clint Eastwood tells the story with the sure-handedness we've come to expect....

Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

HEREAFTER (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON & TUES: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WAITING FOR SUPERMAN (PG)
So, I knew this movie was going to be a lightning rod for controversy, but I certainly didn't expect the lengths some would go.
It always seems an especially perplexing scenario when people condemn things they haven't seen out of a purely knee-jerk form of mania.

Suffice to say: This movie turns out to NOT be the "killer app" for any public school initiative, but rather a thorough examination of our American public school system, and the problems therein.

All the "Chicken Littles" out there who were sure the "sky was falling" when this movie opened, will just have to find another bully-pulpit.
It will leave on Wednesday.
WAITING FOR SUPERMAN (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 6:40 ENDS WEDNESDAY!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SECRETARIAT (PG)

DIANE LANE and JOHN MALKOVICH's wonderful feel-good epic of the world's greatest racehorse is about to end its run at the Avon.
We were 2 weeks late in starting it, but we made up for it when all of you demonstrated you'd rather see a film like this at THE AVON!!
Now, it starts its 3rd week at the Avon, and it will have to trot off into the sunset after this final week.
In other words, get down to see it once, twice, or more!
SECRETARIAT (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MORNING GLORY (PG13)
A more definitive description of "Avon Gold" I have seldom seen! HARRISON FORD, DIANE KEATON & RACHEL McADAMS???
What about JEFF GOLDBLUM too?
This is one that I started frothing at the mouth about when I first saw it was coming!
Remember: It is a Wednesday opening, so the showtimes below will be for THIS week only.
We'll have the full showtimes in next week's newsletter.
MORNING GLORY (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
WED and THURS: 7:15
(next week's showtimes to be announced)
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

Finally, a particularly obnoxious election season has come to an end!
I don't know if anyone actually enjoys all the acrimony and divisive tactics used by these political aspirants, but I was sick of it months ago!

So, congrats to the winners, sympathy for the losers, and a big razzie to those boosters who take it upon themselves to beat into submission all whom they perceive to oppose their viewpoint. (You know who you are).

Now, let's all settle down and try to get along!

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for you and you and...YOU!!