[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---OCTOBER 15th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Nov 18 13:15:31 EST 2010

Ashley Petty (General Mangler)                                    Skip Huston (Head Honcho)
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, NOV. 18th thru THURSDAY, NOV. 25th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
OPENING:
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS--PT. 1   The biggest movie of the year?

CONTINUING:
MORNING GLORY (PG13) Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton & Rachel McAdams!! Need we say more??
UNSTOPPABLE (PG13) Denzel Washington in a mind-blowing action film about a runaway train!

COMING SOON:
-Lots of good movies!!  (Can't tell you yet, though!)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HARRY POTTER and the Deathly Hallows---Pt. 1 (PG13)
And so the series comes to an end...well, almost.
This is part 1 of the last entry in the 7 (so far) film series, and by mid-July, part 2, film 8, will be here and it will all be over.
The books are incredibly popular, and the movies have grossed mucho moolah over the years.
Those of you who have followed these characters since they were children, will feel this is like coming home for Thanksgiving!

Is it possible to merely come see this without any prior knowledge of the books or films?
I would say "yes", as the plots are so tightly written, one can usually get up-to-speed quickly.
There is lots of adventure and special effects, and the quality of filmmaking is top-notch.

Possibly the biggest movie of the year!!
And, in an attack of extreme good judgment, Warners decided to NOT release this in 3D!!
Too bad more of the studios don't realize 3D is rapidly fading from the priority of many movie-goers!
HARRY POTTER and the Deathly Hallows---Pt. 1 (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES, WED: 7:00
THURS (Thanksgiving Day): (3:30) - 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MORNING GLORY (PG13)

It's always fun when the Avon bucks the national trend and has a big hit with a film that is not the normal standard for the multiplex shoebox theaters of America.
-You all know what I mean...
Hollywood has this constant myopia toward young audiences, and seems to forget the more mature actor and actresses (and patrons) out there.
When you stop to consider that the average movie-goer is 14 to 25 years old, it all smacks of blatant compartmentalizing!

Then, you have a rare theater like THE AVON that actually caters to the more mature set, and tries to shun most of the exercises in stupidity that many of the studios are cranking out incessantly!
What that all means is a film like MORNING GLORY, with HARRISON FORD and DIANE KEATON (and RACHEL McADAMS thrown in for the post-college set) will NOT do well at the "other guys", but do extremely well for THE AVON!
And that's all WE care about!
Because, in spite of what some of the barely-out-of-diapers fan-boy critics have said: YOU WILL LOVE THIS MOVIE!!

I mean, who are you gonna' trust? ME, who knows what YOU like, or some geek who plays videogames all day and droolingly ventures forth to see every film where the main character wears a spandex suit and cape?
There's REAL LIFE going on here! (And that's a quote from a classic movie right there. If you guess it, you will win absolutely nothing!)
MORNING GLORY (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS (Thanksgiving Day): (4:30) - 7:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

UNSTOPPABLE (PG13)

Here is a review of UNSTOPPABLE from one of my favorite critics, Chuck Koplinski in Champaign-Urbana. I have admired Chuck's reviews for quite some time, and he contacted me to ask if I'd like to use this...Here we go....

UNSTOPPABLE reviewed by Chuck Koplinski
If you're a filmgoer who demands ironclad logic when you go to the cinema, Tony Scott's Unstoppable is the sort of movie you could pick apart in its first half hour. Though based on a true event in 2001 in which an unmanned train left a Toledo, Ohio, freight yard and traveled nearly 70 miles before being stopped, the circumstances in screenwriter Mark Bomback's script are a bit much to swallow at times. The plot is an example of Murphy's Law at its worst, as everything that could go wrong does. The runaway locomotive is not only bearing down on a major urban center, but it's hauling hazardous material and headed straight for an area populated by massive fuel storage containers.

It's to Scott and his cast's credit that I could have cared less about all of these absurdities once the film got rolling, something the audience hardly has to wait for. We're barely introduced to our two heroes - veteran engineer Frank (Denzel Washington) and rookie conductor Will (Chris Pine) - before the incompetence of two lazy employees sets the plot in motion. As the train steadily picks up speed, Scott increases the tension, keeping us on the edge of our seats throughout as engine 777 barrels through the Pennsylvania countryside, threatening to wipe out any of the small burgs it rattles through at any moment.

Washington is one of those rare performers who inherently brings a degree of integrity to anything he does. His presence is vital to our buying into the film. Solid as always, the actor has us sympathizing and cheering for this soon-to-be-retired widower, while Pine continues to impress as a man trying to prove himself both as a co-worker and husband. The human element they provide makes the action Scott delivers worthwhile. While the director provides the thrills, Washington and Pine provide the heart, making this an unstoppable - and irresistible - piece of entertainment.

UNSTOPPABLE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS (Thanksgiving Day): (4:45) - 7:45
++++++++++++++++++++++++
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
Anniversaries...
Yes, they sometimes can get away from us.
Before you know it, you look back and think "ohhhhh yeah..."

So, here are a few choice dates I am proud to call to your attention...

* On OCTOBER 1st, the AVON TWINS next door were 6 years old!
(yet we hear every day from people who think they are brand new!)

* On THANKSGIVING DAY, the big AVON Theater will be 94 years old!

* On EASTER SUNDAY, 2011, we have operated the Avon 13 years!

* On AUGUST 28th, the ol' Skipster was 60 years old!

* On NOVEMBER 10th, Sue and Skip were married 26 years!

So, there's some incredible dates to ponder!!
I have a hard time believing them myself!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!
Come See Me Soon, Folks!