[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---MAY 7th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu May 6 12:55:03 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, MAY 7th thru THURSDAY, MAY 13th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

CONTINUING:
THE JONESES (R) Demi Moore & David Duchovny in a very clever comedy!! ENDS SOON!!
THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13) J-Lo is BACK in a very clever romantic comedy! ENDS SOON!!
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR) The Swedish adaptation of the huge and chilling book! ENDS SOON!!

COMING SOON:
MAY 14th: ROBIN HOOD (PG13) Russell Crowe in a rip-roaring adventure that I am really looking forward to!
MAY 14th: Disney's OCEANS (G) The huge documentary for the whole family, and now more topical than ever!
MAY 28th: SEX AND CITY 2 (R) Need I say more?
MAY 28th: PRINCE OF PERSIA: The Sands of Time (PG13) Jake Gyllenhaal in an astounding Summer "popcorn" picture!
...and more, more... MORE!! A Whole Summer's Worth MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELP WANTED!!
Yes, an exciting career in show-business can be YOURS!!
WE ARE HIRING PART-TIME SUMMER HELP!!
Prefer students, but we will consider all bonafide humans.
>MUST HAVE OWN TRANSPORTATION
>MUST BE ABLE TO WORK NIGHTS, WEEKENDS & HOLIDAYS
>MUST BE ABLE TO CARRY 50 POUND BAGS OF RAW POPCORN
>MUST BE ABLE TO LEAP TALL BUILDINGS IN A SINGLE BOUND
APPLY IN-PERSON TO GENERAL MANAGER ASHLEY PETTY
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE (That's why I said "apply in-person!")
APPLICATIONS CLOSING SOON!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE JONESES (R)
Demi Moore and David Duchovny in a very clever little comedy that will make you stop and think about whether the events portrayed here have indeed really happened before, or could even be happening right NOW!
The marketing and sales execs out there will really appreciate this one, and I can hear the wheels spinning as I write this.
I hope I haven't given too much away. Come see it before it's gone!
THE JONESES (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 8:00

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13)

Jennifer Lopez's hit comedy is just about ready to leave, so you better get those sneakers burnin'!
This is the only good "chick flick" in town, and a funny one it is at that!
Get all your pals together for this unique little laffer, and start making plans for "SEX AND THE CITY 2" in a couple weeks!
THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 7:15

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR)
I actually got a chance to sit and watch this phenomenal mystery/thriller last Sunday, and let me tell you this: You are missing one of the best whodunits and police procedurals I have seen in years!
Yes, it is "NR", which means "not rated"; and that is because of a couple brutal scenes that are absolutely necessary to the story.
Yes, it is in Swedish, with English subtitles, but to miss a great movie because of that is just not rational, sorry.

I guarantee you will be enthralled and absorbed by this incredible film!

Just the saga of investigating the 40 year-old unsolved murder of a 16 year old girl, and then finding elements of the case that go back even further than that, was enough to warrant my attention!

I have held this for this 3rd weekend only in hopes you will finally give it a try.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 7:00
SAT: (3:30) - 7:00
SUN: (3:30)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO
And So The Summer Movie Season Starts!
BUT...not quite yet for the Avon!

Our shortened schedule this week means we are taking this last chance to catch our breath and get some "R & R" before the long hours and midnight showings start for us.
This is something we could not do in recent years past, but we can this year!

"OUR" Summer movie season starts with the hotly-anticipated RUSSELL CROWE "ROBIN HOOD" next Friday!

And, I guess I should address the "800 lb gorilla" and answer the burning question this week of WHY we are not playing "Iron Man 2" starting this weekend...
It's very simple.
We didn't like the terms of the deal.

The movie business is comprised of a whole lot of studios, all with different personalities, and all with varying degrees of respect and admiration for the little independent theaters like The Avon.
We need to work with the studios who work WITH us, and give us terms we can live with.

Maybe we'll pick "Iron Man 2" up in a month or so when the 2nd run terms might be more to our liking, but it's anybody's guess.

Right now, we need YOU to concentrate this summer on what we DO have, and not on what we DON'T!!
AND, we have some really big ones coming too!

(Besides, I know that much of the "Avon crowd" couldn't give a hoot or a holler about another superhero lollapalooza like "Iron Man 2" anyway!
It'll be world-wide huge, for sure, but would it have been for US? We did play the first one 2 years ago to "fair" results only.)

STAFF NEWS
Congrats to Avon staffer MOLLY KIICK, who graduates from USC in Los Angeles next Friday. She'll be back behind our counter for only the month of July, then off to the big city to claim her rightful fame and fortune in August. Come and say hello to an Avon veteran whom I am sure you will recognize. (She has worked for us for over 4 years, off and on). She is a class act, and one of our all-time favorite employees.
Our General Manager, ASHLEY PETTY and her sweetie, Nathan, have recently bought their first house!
We are so happy for her! Her doggie, Huck, will have his own yard he can dog around in now!
After years of apartment living, this is really an exciting thing to watch them experience!

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for You, and You...and YOU!!