[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---MARCH 19th, 2020

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Mar 17 15:42:22 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 19th thru THURSDAY, MARCH 25th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
THE BOUNTY HUNTER (PG13) Jennifer Aniston & Gerard Butler are ex-spouses battling it out! FUNNY!!

CONTINUING:
GREEN ZONE (R) Anxious for another BOURNE movie? Matt Damon comes as close as you can get to it here for now!
OUR FAMILY WEDDING (PG13) Forest Whitaker & America Ferrera  in a hilarious romp!!

COMING SOON:
APRIL 2nd: CLASH OF THE TITANS (IN 3D!!) (PG13) A Spectacular Beginning for our NEW 3D System!!
APRIL 9th: LETTERS TO GOD (PG) A Faith-based family film that you will love!
APRIL 9th: DATE NIGHT (PG13) Steve Carell & Tina Fey are on the town, and in big trouble too!
APRIL 17th:THE GOLD RUSH (1925) The Millikin Symphony Orchestra accompanies this Charlie Chaplin silent masterpiece! ONE NIGHT ONLY!!
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
3D COMES TO THE AVON TWINS ON APRIL 2nd!!!
SEE THE ACTION SPECTACULAR "CLASH OF THE TITANS" ON THE AVON'S
NEW 3D SYSTEM!!!
INSTALLATION HAS BEEN COMPLETED!!
WOWSER!!!
(SEE MORE BELOW)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE BOUNTY HUNTER (PG13)

Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler in the first big "date movie" of this Spring!
She's his ex-wife, and he's a Bounty Hunter, and she skips bail, and he...well, you get the picture!
We've played this preview for a long time now, and finally here is the movie!
It's gonna' be big fun!
THE BOUNTY HUNTER (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GREEN ZONE (R)
So the movie industry trade press is filled with exclamations about how this movie fell curse to the "Iraq war" phobia that seems so widespread these days.
Even this year's BEST PICTURE winner, the Iraq war tale "The Hurt Locker" could grab all those awards, but still couldn't sell tickets for all the tea in China!
The list of fine films that are set in Iraq that "underperformed" is astounding..."In The Valley of Elah", "Body of Lies", "The Kingdom", and even Decatur's own Jake Rademacher's superb documentary "Brothers at War" are just a small sampling...
What seems to be the problem here?
Putting all the political hoo-hah aside, these movies still represent our brave men and women fighting for a cause.
Just like all those beloved WWII movies with John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart  and the rest.
I know I'm not going to change any minds here, but at least for GREEN ZONE let me say this:
MATT DAMON's "Bourne Identity" movies are smash hits!
Everyone wishes there was ANOTHER "Bourne" movie to see!!
Well, there is, really!
GREEN ZONE stars MATT DAMON and is directed by the master-filmmaker Paul Greengrass, who helmed two of the three Bourne movies.
Greengrass has a way of filming action that is incredible in its method of putting YOU right in there!
So, put aside your feelings, pro or con, about Iraq, and just come and enjoy an edge-of-your-seat thriller!
GREEN ZONE  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI & SAT: (4:00) - 7:00

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OUR FAMILY WEDDING (PG13)
This cross-cultural comedy is not getting the attention it should.
It's very funny, and plays like a cross between "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"
Oscar-winner, Forest Whitaker, and TV fave America Ferrera ("Ugly Betty") head a  fine cast dedicated to entertaining YOU!
See it before it is gone!
OUR FAMILY WEDDING  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI & SAT (4:15) - 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO

Folks, I just came from a demo of our new 3D system, and I gotta' screw my eyes back into my head!
I know it seems like the entire entertainment industry has gone 3D crazy, and you would be right in thinking that, but, the fact remains that moviegoers all over the world are buying tickets in humongous numbers to 3D movies, and we need to be in the game!
NOW WE ARE!!
Our new 3D system is in the Twins theaters, installed in the southern most Twin (the one on the right as you are walking in the lobby).

Why did we not put it in the big main theater?

Maybe we will someday, but for right now we thought one of the Twins would be best.

As I write this note (Tuesday night at about 7:30), I am still feeling excited about what I have just witnessed on one of MY screens.
When I think about a big spectacular and rowdy movie like CLASH OF THE TITANS being our FIRST 3D movie, well...

I CAN'T WAIT FOR APRIL 2nd!!
3D AT THE AVON!! How GROOVY is that??

Have You Signed Up for My Next Film Class yet??
Ya' better hurry! It starts Thursday, April 1st!!!
SILENT MOVIE CLASSICS---PART 6!!

The continuation of our popular film and discussion series on the classics of the silent screen!

A 6 WEEK COURSE STARTING THURSDAY, APRIL 1st  and ending THURSDAY, MAY 6th!!

This 6 week class and discussion film series will meet every Thursday @ 6:30 PM starting April 1st at The Avon Theatre.
Cost is $60, in cash or check  (no credit cards, please), checks payable to "Ripper Entertainment".
NOTE: This class is NOT payable through Richland!

Unlike all of our previous film classes, we WILL reveal SOME (but not ALL) of the movies to be screened beforehand.

WINGS (1927) The FIRST movie to win the "Best Picture" Oscar! Clara Bow and Buddy Rogers.
THE  SON OF THE SHEIK (1926) Rudolph Valentino in his best, and last film!

SOULS FOR SALE (1923) The recently-rediscovered "inside Hollywood" comedy/romance!

THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK (1928) Extremely rare Josef von Sternberg directed masterpiece!

.and MORE to be decided!! (Maybe a Douglas Fairbanks? Maybe a D.W. Griffith Epic? Maybe Greta Garbo?)

Seeing one of the silent classics of the Golden Age of Cinema in the 1916  vintage Avon Theatre, is a "transporting" and even rather eerie & remarkable journey through the archaeology of the cinema! Many of these films were considered LOST until just recently!! This is an unforgettable experience for the true film buff!!

CLIP THIS OUT AND DROP OFF AT OUR LOBBY WITH CASH OR CHECK PAYMENT

Come  join us for 6 weeks of unforgettable movie experiences, and a lively discussion with fellow film-buffs!  Sign up TODAY at the AVON THEATRE!

(Give this form with your payment to the Avon Theatre's staff)
SILENT MOVIE CLASSICS-PART 6 SIGN-UP FORM

$60, Cash or Check (no credit cards for this class, please)

NAME:__________________________________________

PHONE:_________________________________________

EMAIL (if any):____________________________________________              (Email to be used only for class purposes)

-The Popcorn is a' poppin'!

-The REAL Buttah a' bubblin'!

When You at the Avon, nothin' be troublin'!!

-Cuthbert J. Hunnydunger

Come See Me This Weekend!

I'll be looking for you and you and....YOU!!

IN MEMORIAM
Mere mortal words can't describe my wife and I's feelings at the news of our friend, Dr. Emmanuella Joseph's sudden passing this week.

Try as I might to understand, God's plan remains an elusive mystery to me.

I was proud to count Emmanuella and her beloved husband, Anthony Chapple, among my close friends for several years now.

My wife and I attended their wedding.

In fact, Anthony actually proposed to Emmanuella on bended knee in the Avon's lobby! (true story)

Now, to have her time here on earth be cut short at the young age of 44, seems a tragedy of the highest order.

Our hearts & prayers go out to Anthony and their two young children, and almighty God grant them the strength to abide and endure.

Skip & Sue Huston and the entire Avon Theatre "family".