[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---JUNE 25th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jun 24 11:19:50 EDT 2010

NOTE: "COLLECTIBLE TICKETS" FOR THE MIDNIGHT SHOWING OF "ECLIPSE" ARE NOW ON-SALE AT REGULAR PRICES!! (Have you checked out the prices for this at the "other guys"??---Go ahead, we'll wait.....)
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 25th thru THURSDAY, JULY 1st ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
KNIGHT AND DAY (PG13) TOM CRUISE & CAMERON DIAZ in a real crowd-pleasing action/romance!
CITY ISLAND (PG13) ANDY GARCIA in one of the BEST, and FUNNIEST movies you've never heard of!
>>>TUESDAY @ MIDNIGHT: THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE (PG13) Yup, it's THAT time again!! 'nuff said?

CONTINUING:
TOY STORY 3 (G) Ready to be captivated and transported to a better place? SEE THIS!!

COMING SOON:
JULY 9th: DESPICABLE ME (G) In 3D with NO 3D SURCHARGE!!
JULY 16th: INCEPTION (PG13) Is this one of the biggest hits of the Summer?? COULD BE!!
JULY 30th: CATS & DOGS 2 (G) In 3D with NO 3D SURCHARGE!!
 ...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE (PG13)
So, unless you've just returned from a few years on the planet Zontar, you already know all about this one and I don't need to pump the hyperbole to the max here.
It's here; it's the phenomenal series of books and movies; it's gonna get ya'!
COLLECTIBLE ADVANCE TICKETS ON SALE NOW!!
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
TUES: MIDNIGHT!!! (12:01 AM on Wednesday morning if you want to get technical)
WED & THURS: (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:15
(FOLLOWING WEEK'S SHOWTIMES TBA)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TOY STORY 3 (G)
Here is one that will bring out the kid in all ages!
It actually IS as good as the first two installments, and some say it is BETTER!
This is a movie that DOESN'T need 3D! It's a Pixar film, and that means quality.
No gimmicks necessary here, folks!
HOWEVER...if you DO want to pay an arm and a leg for those obnoxious 3D surcharges at the "other guys",  be my guest!
We've had HUNDREDS see it at the Avon WITHOUT 3D, and they still had money left over for popcorn! YAY!!
TOY STORY 3 (G)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00) - 7:00
SAT &  SUN: ( 1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
MON thru THURS: (3:15) - 6:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

KNIGHT AND DAY (PG13)
TOM CRUISE & CAMERON DIAZ in a comedy/adventure/romance.
Doesn't that sound like big fun right there?
Here is a nicely paced, pleasant and exciting middle-of-the-road "popcorn picture".
This is another one of those "check your brain at the door" movies, and there is nothing wrong with that!
It's Summertime!
Time to forget your troubles and get happy!
This movie will deliver the goods!
KNIGHT AND DAY (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:45) - 7:45
SAT & SUN: ( 1:45) - (4:45) - 7:45
MON & TUES: (4:15) - 7:15
WED: (3:30) - 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CITY ISLAND (PG13)
Here is an EXCELLENT movie that you may not have heard of!
As we do from time to time with movies like this that need some "extra attention", here is LEONARD MALTIN to tell you about it:

City Island is a treat for movie lovers everywhere-even if you've never heard of the community where it takes place. (Don't feel bad: many New Yorkers don't even know about this quiet fishing village that's linked to the Bronx by a narrow bridge.) One could broadly describe it as a comedy-at times, it even plays like farce-but its humor doesn't come from gags or funny lines of dialogue. It derives, instead, from the real, recognizable emotions of a boisterous Italian-American family. That gives the film a solid emotional underpinning, and makes watching it a rewarding experience.
One doesn't automatically associate Andy Garcia with comedy, which makes his rich, robust performance all the more enjoyable. As Vince Rizzo, a corrections officer with a secret yen to be an actor, he's a likable and wholly empathetic character. Julianna Marguiles hits just the right notes as his wife, a no-nonsense woman who feels betrayed by his seeming distance and frequent absences. It's clear these characters love each other but can't express their feelings. They are ably supported by Emily Mortimer, as Garcia's acting-class partner, Alan Arkin, as his acting teacher, and Steven Strait, as a prisoner who doesn't understand Garcia's interest in him. Garcia's kids harbor secrets of their own; they're played, quite well, by Ezra Miller, as a social-misfit teenage son, and Garcia's real-life daughter Dominik Garcia-Lorido as a college-age daughter.

I became a fan of writer-director Raymond De Felitta when I saw Two Family House a decade ago. I like his sensibilities, and his fondness for characters who refuse to give up on their dreams. He was an ideal director for Paul Reiser's likable comedy The Thing About My Folks, and now he's back with a screenplay of his own. (He also made an unusual but first-rate documentary about an elusive jazz singer called 'Tis Autumn: The Search for Jackie Paris.) Andy Garcia calls him "an Italian Woody Allen," and the description is apt. He understands the dynamic of working-class New Yorkers and brings those characters to life with flair, and a refreshing avoidance of cliché.

City Island gave me a great deal of pleasure, and I'm sure it's a crowd-pleaser. I hope it wins the kind of audience support it deserves. by Leonard Maltin

So, it looks good, doesn't it?
Don't delay in getting here to see it. This is one of those that will play on a very limited basis because of all the Summer Blockbusters coming!
CITY ISLAND (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")

MON & TUES: (4:30) - 7:30
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO....

My newest film class, "Overlooked Films--Pt 9" started last Thursday night, but there is still time for you to enroll!
I will even pro-rate the one you missed!
Since this is a screening & discussion film series, there is very little linearity, so, you can drop right in and be up-to-speed!
If you choose to do this, just deal with THE AVON directly, as Richland has already closed their books for this class.
Seeya for class tonight at 6:30???
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
The first "Tightwad Tuesday" we have done this year was an astounding success!
Apparently I was correct in my feeling that high ticket prices were really having a negative effect on movie goers!
Even at THE AVON, where there is so much less "sticker shock" than the "other guys"; I still can feel families hurting with the regular prices.
At this first "Tightwad Tuesday", I can still see all the happy faces!
That's why I do this, folks!!

THAT is ALSO why I have decided to ELIMINATE the obnoxious and predatory 3D surcharges on all future 3D presentations at the Avon too!

...AND THAT IS WHY I ALMOST FELL OFF THE FLOATIE IN MY POOL WHEN I GOT AN EMAIL FROM A CUSTOMER ON MY BLACKBERRY YESTERDAY TELLING ME THE "TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE" TICKETS FOR THE UPCOMING TUESDAY MIDNIGHT SHOWS AT HICKORY POINT AND THE STRAND WERE SELLING FOR $10 AND, POSSIBLY, AS MUCH AS $12!!!!!!!!
MY BLACKBERRY ALMOST WENT INTO THE WATER!!

Let me remind you all that THE AVON is selling these tickets at our REGULAR prices! ($7.50/$5.75) and we are also giving you a COLLECTIBLE TICKET starting TODAY!!

I certainly HOPE you will see "THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE" at THE AVON, where you will still have money left over to buy our legendary POPCORN!! (aha! my diabolical plan is revealed!!)

SPREAD THE WORD!!
Friends don't let friends waste money!!!

Come See Me This Weekend, Folks!!