[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---JULY 16th, 20`10

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jul 15 10:43:31 EDT 2010

REMINDER: This newsletter is being transmitted Thursday, July 15th, and TONIGHT is the MIDNIGHT DEBUT of "INCEPTION"!!
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Prof. Skippito Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JULY 16th thru THURSDAY, JULY 22nd ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
OPENING:
INCEPTION (PG13) Is this one of the biggest hits of the Summer?? COULD BE!!

CONTINUING:
DESPICABLE ME 3D (G) In 3D with NO GREEDY & OBNOXIOUS 3D SURCHARGE!!
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE (PG13) Yup, it's THAT time again!! 'nuff said?

COMING SOON:
(Some of the below "Coming Soon" titles may change. Always call or check our website!!)
JULY 23rd: CYRUS (R) John C. Reilly, Jonah Hill & Marisa Tomei in the break-out indy comedy!
JULY 30th: CATS & DOGS 2 (G) In 3D with NO PREDATORY & CLUELESS 3D SURCHARGE!!
JULY 30th: CHARLIE ST. CLOUD (PG13) Zac Efron in a heartfelt film from the popular book.
AUG 13th:  EAT, PRAY, LOVE (PG13) Julia Roberts in a movie that has "Avon" written all over it!
AUG. 20th: THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE (R) Part 2 of the Swedish sensation "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"!!
AUG. 20th: SOLITARY MAN (R) The best film Michael Douglas has done in years!!
 ...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

INCEPTION (PG13)
LEONARDO DiCAPRIO and a stellar cast join to bring you an explosive and enigmatic film from A-list director Christopher Nolan ("The Dark Knight", "Memento", etc.) that is said to be the "mindblower of the Summer". The reviews have, frankly, been astoundingly positive.
The story-line has been kept pretty secret for the last few months, and all I can fathom is it has something to do with dreams, and the obtaining of secret information from the dream-state.
(Watch, I'll be totally wrong, and it'll turn out to be about something entirely different!)
My film booker, Howard, has actually seen it and says it is "incredible", and also very intelligent.
In the parlance of Avonia, the word "intelligent" is tantamount to stated as "best suited at the Avon"....(I wonder what that means?)
Well, whether we corner the market on intelligent movies or not, I know we DO corner the market on intelligent CUSTOMERS...
Y'see, every time you buy a ticket to a show at the Avon, you are proving how intelligent you are!
INCEPTION (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DESPICABLE ME 3D (PG)

Boy, did we make the competition angry when we killed their "golden goose" by NOT charging those ridiculous and damaging "3D surcharges" like they, and so many others, have been greedily grabbing for too long a time!
It really pains me when I see such predatory behavior when so many are doing so poorly these days.

BUT...It's not just in the Decatur area, it's all over!
Somehow, somewhere these theaters found out they could get away with charging premium prices for 3D, and they ran with it!
---And, customers are starting to revolt!
In the news recently was the revelation that only about 45% of last week's great grosses on DESPICABLE ME came from 3D theaters!!
This is a sign that the exhibitors need to heed.
DESPICABLE ME has GREAT 3D effects, so it isn't some backlash on crummy 3D (as in the not-very-good "The Last Airbender" whose phony and murky 3D threatened to single-handedly capsize the entire 3D movement); it's a STATEMENT that audiences are sick and tired of paying those extra 3D charges!!

SOOOOOO, just so we are PERFECTLY CLEAR ON THIS:
AT THE AVON WE ARE PRESENTING "DESPICABLE ME" IN GLORIOUS 3D, BUT WE ARE NOT, REPEAT NOT, CHARGING ANY EXTRA CHARGES FOR IT!
If you have friends that are NOT aware of this, please let them know.
The only way you can STOP the "other guys" from charging those surcharges is to VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET!!
(Personally, I hope all these dumb-bunnies keep up this baloney, so we can look even BETTER by comparison!!)
DESPICABLE ME 3D (PG) *Did we mention its IN 3D, but NO EXTRA 3D CHARGES AT THE AVON?? Just checking.
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru THURS: (3:40) - 6:40
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE (PG13)

And here are your last chances to visit with the vampires and werewolves until the next Twilight adventure!
These books and movies are a bonafide phenomenon, and, if you are curious you can watch this one without having seen the first two.
(But, then you'll want to see the other two, and read all the books as well!)
It ENDS SOON, folks, so put them hush-puppies in over-drive, or wait 4 to 6 long, long months for video!
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

DECATUR CELEBRATION PARKING FOR THE AVON
I'm going to say this now, but you will hear me say it every time we meet here until the danger has passed...
When you go to Decatur Celebration this year, Aug. 6th, 7th and 8th, and you park in "our" parking garage (that's the one across from our front door), MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR A PARKING VALIDATION FORM FROM THE PEOPLE WHO CHARGE YOU CELEBRATION'S $5 PARKING FEE!!!!!
That's the ONLY way it works, folks...you have to ASK for the validation form when you pay to park in that garage during Celebration (the garage is pretty much free the rest of the year).
This was all whipped up by me, and the Celebration people, and the Decatur City Council, and, while I TRIED to make the garage free for you guys during Celebration, the best I could wrangle was a VALIDATION so your $5 fee will be reimbursed by participating merchants (with a minimum $5 purchase, of course).
This is no way an ideal situation, but it is a darn sight better than previous years when you had no chance of getting that $5 parking fee reimbursed.
BUT...YOU GOTTA ASK THEM FOR THE VALIDATION FORM WHEN YOU PARK IN OUR GARAGE DURING CELEBRATION!!
They will NOT offer it to you ('cause they really don't want you to have it!), and they will NOT give it to you later!
I will try to not let you forget this!!
(As in most things in life, it only works if you ASK!)

Come See Me This Weekend!!