[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---Jan. 29th 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jan 28 13:59:15 EST 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JAN. 29th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 4th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
INVICTUS (PG13) Director CLINT EASTWOOD, stars MATT DAMON and MORGAN FREEMAN in the unforgettable true story of a Rugby match in Nelson Mandela's South Africa that helped change the world! (ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!)

CONTINUING:
EXTRAORDINARY MEASURES (PG) Harrison Ford and Brendon Fraser in a heart-warmer of a true medical story!
ME AND ORSON WELLES (PG13) Here is one tailor-made for the Avon crowd!! (FRI, SAT & SUN ONLY!! HURRY!!!)
THE YOUNG VICTORIA (PG13) Emily Blunt makes this role her own, and has award nominations for it too! (ENDS THIS WEEK!! HURRY!!)

COMING SOON:
FEB. 5th:    CRAZY HEART (PG13) Will Jeff Bridges finally get his long-deserved Oscar for this one?
FEB. 12th: THE WOLFMAN (R) Wow! I've been waiting for this one!!! The re-make of the classic 1940 thriller!!
FEB. 12th: VALENTINE'S DAY (PG13) Julia Roberts and a GINORMOUS & HUGE All-Star Cast!!
FEB. 26th: THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (G) A Faith-based Christian film for the whole family! (Group ticket sales right now!)
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
INVICTUS (PG13)
We wanted to play this when it first came out about 2 weeks or so before Christmas. We had promoted it; played the trailer, put the posters up---we were ready! Then, as can be the case sometimes in this crazy business, we were informed we would be required to play it THROUGH the holidays if we wanted it!
Well, that was not something we could live with when we only have 3 screens.
if we had 4 or 5 screens, then, yes, we could have let it play all that time!
But, we only have 3 to work with so...
We watched it go to the "other guys", where it did miserable business.
(INVICTUS is not exactly the type of film the "other guys" do well!)
So, here, for just ONE WEEK, we tie up some loose ends and finally bring it in!

Here is what Leonard Maltin said about it: (I know, I've been using him a bunch lately, but he has such concise comments! We'll be hearing from him again next week for his comments on Jeff Bridges' award-magnet CRAZY HEART)

Invictus doesn't have the element of surprise in its favor, but the story it tells is solid, interesting, and (yes) inspiring. Would that the world had more leaders as wise as Nelson Mandela, who recognized that despite his election to the Presidency of South Africa in 1995, there was still dissension and hostility throughout the land. How he goaded his national rugby team to push itself toward greatness, and how that affected his countrymen, is a remarkable true story.
There could be no better choice to play Mandela than Morgan Freeman; he succeeds in this role not only because he's so well-suited to it, but because he doesn't portray the famous leader as a plaster saint. He's just a man, albeit an exceptional one, with equal parts humility, determination, and understanding of the human psyche. Matt Damon chalks up another victory by convincingly portraying rugby star Francois Pienaar; his mastery of the South African dialect is so complete, and his physicality so seemingly effortless, that we immediately accept him in the part. The South African actors who fill out the supporting roles are equally well chosen.

Anthony Peckham's screenplay unfolds with simplicity and clarity, and Clint Eastwood films it in his usual straightforward fashion. The illustrations of how people's attitudes begin to change in South Africa bear the stamp of Hollywood-style storytelling, but they're never overplayed (as they easily could have been)...and they work. Invictus may not achieve greatness, like its central characters, but it's an eminently satisfying movie.

Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

I know I have been anxious to see this one, and I hope all of you feel the same!
INVICTUS   (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EXTRAORDINARY MEASURES (PG)

HARRISON FORD and BRENDAN FRASER with one of my foxy faves, KERI RUSSELL, in a family-friendly medical drama based on a true story.
Last Saturday we had a sold-out theater for this one due to St. Mary's Hospital buying it out as a thank-you to their staff for their fabulous new Cancer Center. All were very enthralled by the film, and, I don't think it is giving anything away to point out it is "PG", so if you are thinking the ending might be shattering; you can now rest assured. Very good story-telling!
EXTRAORDINARY MEASURES   (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ME AND ORSON WELLES (PG13)

Here is an enigmatic movie. The reviews on this have been better-than-good. The show-business tale just crackles with period detail and the proverbial "smell of the greasepaint..." Yet, in spite of all it has going for it, it seems it is destined to be an "Overlooked Film".
Yes, one of these summers I will put it into my "Overlooked" film classes, and tell the students how this wonderful movie just couldn't seem to get anyone to come see it, and they will be amazed that such a good one went so unnoticed. YOU still have three last chances to see it this weekend!
ME AND ORSON WELLES   (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT, SUN: (4:00)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE YOUNG VICTORIA (PG)
Wow. Is there anyone who has not liked this one? Granted, it really isn't a movie for the "mall crowd". You will not be wearing 3D glasses and dodging blue people here! What you WILL be doing is seeing an old-fashion and true story of the early years of Queen Victoria. This has it all, folks...pomp, circumstance, love, honor, betrayal...and that's just the first 15 minutes! Here it is now on its last showings, so get thy rear in gear!
THE YOUNG VICTORIA   (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 7:00
SAT: (1:00) - 7:00
SUN: (1:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

Did you know that THE AVON is the only theater in this area that has HOT-DOGS??
Yes, I know...Hot-dogs used to be a staple of all movie theaters...once.
And, we don't just have "hot-dogs" either...we have the BEST!

We serve ONLY Nathan's ALL-BEEF 'dogs!
They are lean and delicious, and only 170 calories!

Then, there is another little 'secret'...
Our hot-dog buns are ONLY "light" buns!
That means only 80 calories!!

So, add it up, and a delicious Avon hot-dog only has 250 calories, TOTAL!
You can have TWO and still be within range of a healthy meal!
(The condiments, mustard, catsup, relish, etc. add up to virtually no calories).

Sooooooo, the next time you are looking for something more substantial than just popcorn...
Make it an AVON Nathan's ALL-BEEF (low-cal) HOT-DOG!!
Only $3 or two for $5!

And, I'll be looking for you and you and YOU at the Avon!!
-Skip Huston

P.S. Don't be thinking I'm going to give you the calorie count of our incredible 'Classic Popcorn' with REEEEEEEL BUTTAH!
That's just one of those things you don't need to mess with!
I will tell you this much: Our popcorn is not only better than the "other guys", but it's healthier too!
We use only locally-grown, ultra-hybrid corn ("they" use commercial 'trash corn')
We only pop in ADM Sunflower oil, the BEST and MOST EXPENSIVE popping oil!
("They" pop in terribly unhealthy and cheap-o Coconut oil)
We have REAL BUTTER available!! The BEST clarified butter money can buy!
("They" use toxic waste and call it "buttery topping"---it literally glows in the dark!!!!!)
YET..."their" popcorn prices are much HIGHER than ours!
Go figure.