[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---FEB. 25th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Feb 24 10:39:46 EST 2010

(NOTE: IMPORTANT 3D ANNOUNCEMENT!! SCROLL DOWN TO SKIP'S COMMENTS!)
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 26th thru THURSDAY,  MARCH 4th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (G) A Faith-based Christian film for the whole family!
THE LAST STATION (R) Helen Mirren & Christopher Plummer are both Oscar-nominated for this!

CONTINUING:
VALENTINE'S DAY (PG13) Julia Roberts and a ENORMOUSLY HUGE All-Star Cast!! ENDS WEDNESDAY!!

COMING SOON:
MARCH 5th: CREATION (PG13) The Darwin bio-pic starring Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly!
MARCH 5th: AN EDUCATION (PG13) Best Actress Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan will charm you in a wonderful movie!
MARCH 12th: GREEN ZONE (R) Anxious for another BOURNE movie? Matt Damon comes as close as you can get to it here for now!
MARCH 19th: THE BOUNTY HUNTER (PG13) Jennifer Aniston & Gerard Butler battling it out as ex-spouses!
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (PG)

How many times have we played a movie that is endorsed by Pat Boone himself??
We were asked by a contingent of churches to bring this film in, and, since early March is a perfect time for the families to start feeling that cabin fever and crave a wholesome time at the movies, here we go!
Stars Gavin MacLeod and Robert Guillaume, in a faith-based movie that has quite a buzz about it!
Looking for explosions, car chases, mindless violence and general hoo-hah? IT ISN'T HERE!
However, here is one you won't worry about bringing your 90 year old granny or your 8 year old kid!
Want more like this?? SUPPORT IT! COME SEE IT!
THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY   (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE LAST STATION (R)
Helen Mirren and Christopher Plummer are BOTH nominated for Best Actress and Best Actor in this!!
And, if that were not enough, we also have the incredible Paul Giamatti and up-and-comer James McVoy (both previous multi-award nominees and winners) in this wonderful movie about the declining years of famed Russian novelist Lev Tolstoy. (I know the English variation of "Lev" is "Leo", but I thought you'd be impressed).
Those of you who are always asking for the return of "Avon Movies", here is a perfect example!
THE LAST STATION   (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
VALENTINE'S DAY (PG13)

Julia Roberts, Emma Roberts, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner, Shirley MacLaine, Bradley Cooper, Ashton Kutcher, Topher Grace, Hector Elizondo, Patrick Dempsey, Jamie Foxx, yes and even MORE!!
In short, EVERYONE in Hollywood who had a few days on their hands are in this one! ENDS WEDNESDAY!!
VALENTINE'S DAY   (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!)

=================
SOME WORDS FROM THE OL' HEAD HONCHO...
TO 3D or NOT 3D??
That is NOT the question any longer!
As a film history teacher, I have tried to ignore the return of 3D for a while now...
"It's just a fad like in the 1950's " I told myself.
"It'll die out just like it did then" I persisted.

But, there is no denying the tide has turned.
Justified or not, Hollywood has chosen to "compartmentalize" our industry into two distinct classes:
Those theaters that HAVE 3D, and those that DON'T!

In recent months we have experimented with playing non-3D versions of films that are playing locally in 3D.
It didn't work out well at all.
As much as we would hear people say they "don't care" about 3D, the numbers don't lie.
Clearly, when a movie is in 3D, YOU WANT TO SEE IT IN 3D!!

Therefore, after much deliberation and study of the various 3D systems out there, we have chosen the 3D system that is right for us.

ANNOUNCING:
THE AVON TWINS #1 SCREEN (that's the southern screen) WILL HAVE 3D INSTALLED BY APRIL 2nd!!
Just in  time to play the huge 3D action spectacle CLASH OF THE TITANS!!!

Why did we choose one of the Twins screens and not the big Avon for the initial 3D?
--There are technical reasons for that we will work on, but for right now, the Twins' #1 screen was the best choice!

Will we charge that $3 "3D surcharge" the "other guys" tack on to every 3D ticket?
--It is definitely something for discussion! Maybe not!

For right now, the equipment is ordered, and the installation will happen sometime in March.
It's a brave new world!
IN 3D!!
Folks, I've been under the weather for the past two weeks, and except for my film classes, have not been at the theater.
I'm sorry to all of those that missed me, and equally sorry to those of you who were glad I was not there too!

I'll, of course, be teaching my film class this Thursday, but then I'll be back in the saddle again this weekend.
There's no place I'd rather be than AVONIA!!!
Come See Me!
Ill be looking for you and you and...YOU!!