[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---Feb. 12th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Feb 10 16:03:16 EST 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 12th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 18th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
THE WOLFMAN (R) Wow! I've been waiting for this one!!! The re-make of the classic 1940 thriller!!
VALENTINE'S DAY (PG13) Julia Roberts and a GINORMOUS & HUGE All-Star Cast!!

CONTINUING:
CRAZY HEART (R) Will Jeff Bridges finally get his long-deserved Oscar for this one?

COMING SOON:
FEB. 26th: THE SECRETS OF JONATHAN SPERRY (G) A Faith-based Christian film for the whole family!
MARCH 5th: CREATION (PG13) The Darwin bio-pic starring Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly!
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MATINEES ON PRESIDENT'S DAY MONDAY!! SEE BELOW!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
VALENTINE'S DAY (PG13)
A whole galaxy of stars in this one! There are too many to list here, but here are SOME of them: Julia Roberts, Emma Roberts, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner, Shirley MacLaine, Bradley Cooper, Ashton Kutcher, Topher Grace, Eric Dane, Hector Elizondo, Patrick Dempsey, Jamie Foxx, yes and even MORE!!
Here is a perfect Valentine's treat from veteran director Garry Marshall.
The Avon is known for its "chick flicks" anyway, and this looks to be the epitome of that label!!

VALENTINE'S DAY   (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON: (4:00) - 7:00
TUES, WED & THURS: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE WOLFMAN (R)
Oh man, oh man, oh man have I been waiting for this one!
This is the first in what looks like Universal Studios bringing all my old pals out for another go-round, and I have been a fan of the classic Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy and Wolfman movies since I was a wee lad.
Starring here are Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt, Hugo Weaving and a few surprises to, uh, howl over.
This is one I will be seeing at the FIRST show on Friday, you can bet on that!
THE WOLFMAN   (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON: (5:00) - 8:00
TUES & WED: 6:40
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CRAZY HEART (R)
Jeff Bridges is as close to a "lock" as you can get to win the Oscar this year for this portrayal of a has-been and down-on-his-luck country singer. Robert Duvall is here too, and, again, as in the other 2 movies above, a few surprises too.
The music is great and the whole movie is one to savor.
Just like a good country song, this has its up and downs in the story, but, it all turns out pretty well.
You can ONLY see this at THE AVON, so come and see why the studio wanted US to have this exclusively!!
CRAZY HEART   (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON: (5:15) - 8:15
TUES & WED: 6:30

=================
HERALD & REVIEW' READER'S CHOICE POLL RESULTS SATURDAY!!
That's right, you better make sure you pick up a Decatur Herald & Review on Saturday for the special annual "Reader's Choice" poll results!
*WHAT will win for the "Best Place to See a Movie"??? (aka Best Movie Theater)
*WHO will win for "Best Decaturite"??
WHO and WHAT will win for a whole buncha hoo-hah???
YOU BETTER GET YOUR PAPER ON SATURDAY!!!
(If you were one of my film class students you would find out some of this on Thursday night, but....)
+++++++++++++++++++++++
PLEASE READ THIS NOTE, AVON FANS>>>
Folks, it was right before Valentine's Day 1999, or right about now 11 years ago, when events were set in motion that would result in the re-birth of the Avon Theatre in early April '99.
Sometimes it is a marvel to look back and see how destiny works.

I was downtown (where else?) to find Valentine's goodies for my wife and daughter that 1999.
A chance conversation happened, and, an hour later I was discussing the feasibility of re-opening the long-shuttered and given-up-for-dead Avon Theatre.
About 6 weeks later, after a whole recruited team had scrubbed and dusted and dreamed...WE OPENED!!
WE'VE BEEN OPEN EVER SINCE!!

Just as in any story of fate or chance, just a few minutes one way or another, just a moment of indecision, and it would not have happened.
What if I had not gone downtown that day?
What if I had not had that conversation the put wheels in motion?
What if I had thought "It'll never work" and put it out of my mind?

I am sure many of you have dreams of things you'd like to try.
There is no time like the present!
It's a short life, and we either take the plunge that our dreams demand, or we live our remaining days with the regret.

The Avon Theatre's continued operation is proof positive that YOU can make a difference!
Don't put off your dreams any longer.

Just do it.

I hope I see you this weekend!
I'll be looking for you and you and...YOU!!