[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---DEC. 17th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Dec 15 15:37:39 EST 2010

FREE HOLIDAY MOVIE EVENT:
THURSDAY Dec. 16th @ 7:00 PM for "WHITE CHRISTMAS" (G) for FREE!!
Ashley Petty-General Mangler                                                                                       Skip Huston-Head Honcho
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, DEC. 17th thru THURSDAY, DEC. 30th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
NOTE: THIS IS A "2 WEEK" NEWSLETTER! TIMES ARE UP TO AND INCLUDING DEC. 30th!!
OPENING WED.,DEC. 22nd:
TRUE GRIT (PG13) Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin in the new Coen Bros. instant-classic!
BLACK SWAN (R) Natalie Portman and a great cast in the mind-blower you have doubtless heard about already!

CONTINUING:
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA-The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (PG) Family Holiday Movie Magic!!
STONE (R) Robert DeNiro & Edward Norton face off over Milla Jovovich!! Powerful stuff,folks! ENDS SOON!!
THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST (R) The final chapter in the "dragon Tattoo" trilogy! ENDS SOON!!

FREE HOLIDAY EVENT:
THURSDAY, Dec. 16th @ 7:00 PM for "WHITE CHRISTMAS" (G) for FREE!!

COMING SOON:
Dec. 31st: THE FIGHTER (R) Wait to see it at The Avon! This will be an Oscar contender!

TRUE GRIT (PG13) STARTS WEDNESDAY, DEC. 22nd
Early reports have this as not only being an excellent movie, but being truer to the book as well.
Yes, I know some of you out there will say "Re-make a John Wayne movie? Blasphemy!" I felt  the same way when the re-makes of  my buddies Frankenstein, Dracula, the Wolfman and the Mummy started spewing forth decades ago, but, you know what? Time marches on.

JEFF BRIDGES, who was finally awarded a long-overdue "Best Actor" Oscar last year, may see another nomination, and possible win, this year, fills Mr. Wayne's big boots. MATT DAMON as a smart-alec Texas Ranger (the Glenn Campbell role in the original) and JOSH BROLIN (Barbra Streisand's step-son, and hence James Brolin's son...and also an actor who is working a lot lately in a variety of roles). The real break-out performance is HAILEE STEINFELD as "Mattie Ross" (the Kim Darby role).
Directed and produced by THE COEN BROS; this may well prove to be one of the year's best films!
TRUE GRIT (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
WED & THURS: 7:15
FRI: (Christmas Eve) (1:00) - (4:15)
SAT: (Christmas Day) (1:00) - (4:15) - 7:30
SUN: (1:00) - (4:15) - 7:30
MON (12/27) thru THURS (12/30): (4:15) - 7:30
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BLACK SWAN (R) STARTS WEDNESDAY, DEC. 22nd
One word.
One rather mundane and underwhelming word: WOW!
Here is a movie that has already blown away many in the major cities, and it is coming to THE AVON, and ONLY The Avon!
(That's right. Unlike many of the studios, Fox/Searchlight actually tries to match the movie to the venue. They are aware of their markets, and know you can't throw something like "Black Swan" into the multiplex black hole, unless you don't have a choice!
Too many of the studios just scatter-shoot their films out, with no compunction as to where it would play best. I am always heartened to see when there is some actual thought put to placement of certain films.)

Now, consider the following: NATALIE PORTMAN, one of the most beautiful actresses working today, but not one to play it safe either!
She will get a "Best Actress" Oscar nomination for this as sure as the sun will set tonight.  Then, how about MILA KUNIS? the hottie from "American Beauty" a few years back. Then, there's WINONA RYDER, where has she been? And BARBARA HERSHEY, where has SHE been? And French super-star VINCENT CASSEL!! Directed by DARREN ARONOFSKY, one of the most visionary directors we have currently.

And, how best to describe this film? Maybe Hitchcock in the world of ballet?
Or, maybe something unlike you have ever seen?
Pay close attention to that "R" rating, folks.
BLACK SWAN (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
WED & THURS (DEC. 22nd & 23rd): 7:00
FRI: (Christmas Eve) (2:15) - (4:45)
SAT: (Christmas Day) (2:15) - (4:45) - 7:15
SUN: (2:15) - (4:45) - 7:15
MON (12/27) thru THURS (12/30): (3:45) - 6:45
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NARNIA 3: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (PG)
Just what the doctor ordered for a wonderful holiday time at the movies for the whole family!
This excellent mix of adventure and fantasy, with a pretty darn good message embedded in it as well, is sure to be one of the season's biggest hits.
No problem with bringing all the kids and the grandparents to this one!
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (Christmas Eve) (2:00) - 4:40
SAT: (Christmas Day) (2:00) - (4:30) - 7:00
SUN: (12/26): (2:00) - (4:30) - 7:00
MON (12/27) thru THURS (12/30): (3:30) - 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
STONE  (R)
Two of the finest actors working today are ROBERT DeNIRO and EDWARD NORTON.
These two heavyweights have worked together before in 2001's "The Score", and the power they showed together then is more than matched now in STONE.
Add to the mix the sexual tension provided by hottie MILLA JOVOVICH, playing Norton's wife who will do "anything" to win a  prison release for her husband from parole officer DeNiro, and you have "film noir" elements of the first order!
This very adult drama, has only been showing in major cities until now.
STONE  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 6:15
SAT: (2:15) - 6:15
SUN: (2:15) ENDS SUNDAY
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST (R)
And so we come to the end of our journey with "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy.
First you saw the 1st one, and, because these are some of the most popular 3 books in the world, you were anxious for the 2nd one "The Girl Who Played with Fire", now, all of the mysteries and conflicts are finally tied up in the final "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest".

The tough-as-nails computer hacker Lisbeth Salander has become an icon in movie buff circles, and the star-making performance of NOOMI RAPACE is nothing short of miraculous.
Look for BIG things coming for her!
REMEMBER: These are "limited release" films, so do NOT delay in getting down to see it! This is the holiday season, and we have a very tight schedule for our 3 screens.
REMEMBER TOO: The "Dragon Tattoo" films are rated VERY "R". They are not "NC17" or "X", but they do push the perimeters of "R".
THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 6:00
SAT: (2:00) - 6:00
SUN: (2:00) ENDS SUNDAY
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO
Avon Gift Certificates are the grooviest holiday gift choice!
They come in $5, $10, $20 & $50 (the best one!) and NEVER EXPIRE!
They are used just like CASH, and we keep track on the back of the coupon, so you get EVERY SINGLE PENNY!

Unlike some "other guys" who sell their goofy little booklets where you are locked into concession sales and some ticket purchases, with AVON GIFT CERTIFICATES you can use it any way you desire! Just like CASH!!

Remember, we sell them whenever we are open, but on MON thru THURS that is after 6 PM.
JOB OPPORTUNITY
There is a 4 screen theater in a nearby town that will be changing ownership from a megalithic, faceless, sourpuss corporate vulture, to a locally-owned, caring, and responsible sole owner.
This will be happening in early January, and...the theater is looking for an experienced manager!

This is NOT here in town, but is easily commutable!

(You could even move to this nice little town about 35 miles away if you wanted!)

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED...email ME directly at Skip at theAvon.com and put in the subject line: "JOB".
NO PHONE CALLS.
I will then review your qualifications and, if you are a good candidate, pass them on to the proper people.

So, if you are thinking a life in show-biz is for you, then get them feets a'movin' and drop me an email.

Ok, folks: It's "that" time again!!

You need to fill out your Herald & Review Reader's Choice poll, and you need to do it BEFORE the end of the year!
PLUS, you can win some MONEY PRIZES if you do!! (Details on the ballot).

Just go to this link: herald-review.com/readerschoice
And fill out at least 45 CATEGORIES (not as hard as you think).

There are drop down menus for MOST of the categories, and write in slots for ALL of them.

For the last several years, the ol' AVON THEATRE has won the #1 slot for the "Best Place to See a Movie" category, and I would HOPE you will do us that honor again this time!
Don't let those "other guys" beat the locally-owned movie theater!

PLUS, guess what? You don't have to be a local resident to have your vote count!
So, all of you who have moved away, and miss us soooooooo much, you can do us a "solid" here!

---And the ultimate honor of #1 "Best Decaturite" was voted to ME last year, but I can't possibly in my wildest dreams think that would happen again this year when there are so many others more deserving than I. (Ain't I modest, though?)
Besides, think how upset some of the local stuff-shirts will be if I win #1 "Best Decaturite" AGAIN!!

"The Best Decaturite" is a write-in slot, and has no drop-down menu. You gotta look for it carefully.

But, please cast your ballots from your heart!

Don't forget!
THANKS!!!
Here's the link again:
herald-review.com/readerschoice

Holiday Best to ALL of YOU!!
-Skip Huston and the Huston family...
Sue Huston, Melissa Huston-Rinchiuso, Ryan Rinchiuso, Lily Rinchiuso, Addison Rinchiuso, Megan Huston-Markwell , and...
The Avon Staff:
Ashley Petty (General Mangler)
Ashtyn Kline, Hannah Elliott, Jill Monroe, Leslie Dale, Kelsey Bradford, Whitney Martin, Mallory Wiedenkeller, Emily White, Annemarie Mudd-Duncan, Chris Barnett, Howard Taormino, Jill Bergin and...TROY TAYLOR!