[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---AUGUST 27th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Aug 25 10:19:58 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUGUST 27th thru THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 2nd ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING:
WINTER'S BONE (R) This is the most-honored and critically-acclaimed American film of the year!!

CONTINUING:
EAT, PRAY, LOVE (PG13) Julia Roberts in the epic true story of a woman's journey to self-discovery. A quintessential "Avon movie'!
THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE (R) Part 2 of the Swedish sensation "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"!!

COMING SOON:
SEPT. 3rd: GOING THE DISTANCE (R) Drew Barrymore in a love story about long-distance relationships!
 ...and MORE!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WINTER'S BONE (R)

I'll say it in one trite and over-used word: "WOW"!!
I wish I could convey to all of you how hard I have worked to bring this film to Decatur...
The fact that the phone calls to the little studio that happened to luck into the year's most acclaimed independent film started last May, and continued with emails galore all summer long until I was finally told we had a play-date of August 27th!
The fact that very good friends of mine who are super film freaks, and sometimes my own film students, saw this at Sundance (where it won some of the top awards) and told me this was the one I should be pulling out all the stops for.
The fact that 95% of the nation's film critics gave this a positive rating.
ALL of the above, and more, should convince you: THIS IS THE "MUST-SEE" FILM OF THE YEAR SO FAR!!

What's it about?
To say this is the story of a daughter searching for her criminal, bail-jumping father, is only the surface...
This will pull you in to a primal maelstrom of backwoods gothic.
Who Is in it?
No one you've heard of...YET!

WINTER'S BONE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EAT PRAY LOVE (PG13)
JULIA ROBERTS' little epic journey has already edged out last summer's Meryl Streep-fest "Julie and Julia" in the box-office grosses.
It is a film of travel and self-enlightenment.
It has its own rhythm, and there are some who may not "get it", or just plain not like it.
BUT...
Those that DO "get it" and like it FAR outnumber the opposition!
It's not a movie for the mall/multiplex crowd; maybe that's why THE AVON continues to do so well with it.
EAT PRAY LOVE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE (R)
This 2nd part of the "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" trilogy is simply some of the finest thriller filmmaking you are ever going to find anywhere!
The "girl", Swedish actress NOOMI RAPACE, is nothing short of astounding in this role that she absolutely OWNS!
I know you've heard about the frank sexuality (it is rated "R"---VERY "R"), and the graphic violence, but don't let that throw you!
AND, I would certainly like to think the fact it is in Swedish with English captions, is not a deterrent to AVON customers!
(In my not-so-humble opinion---after all I TEACH film---some of the best movies I've ever seen were NOT MADE IN ENGLISH!).
READ the first book, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", or WATCH the movie of it on DVD, THEN COME SEE PART 2 ONLY AT THE AVON!!
THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
OK, folks...Time to spill the beans...
On Saturday, August 28th, I will be celebrating my birthday, and I will NOT be at the theater that day.
You can all bring your cards and gifts (cash, please) to me FRIDAY NIGHT, ok?

...and HOW OLD WILL I BE?
I know its hard to fathom this, but, believe me I am having a much more difficult time doing so than any of you...
I WILL BE 60.

....And the BEST GIFT I could ever have is seeing all your happy faces at THE AVON this weekend!
-Make an old dude happy!!!!