[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---AUGUST 13th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Aug 11 18:46:22 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUG. 13th thru THURSDAY, AUG. 19th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com
OPENING:
EAT, PRAY, LOVE (PG13) Julia Roberts in the epic true story of a woman's journey to self-discovery. A quintessential "Avon movie'!
SOLITARY MAN (R) The best film Michael Douglas has done in years!! incredible CAST! RAVE REVIEWS!

CONTINUING:
INCEPTION (PG13) Is this one of the biggest hits of the YEAR?? IT IS SO FAR!!

COMING SOON:
AUG.20th: WINTER'S BONE (R) This is the most-honored and critically-acclaimed American film of the year!!
AUG.20th: THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE (R) Part 2 of the Swedish sensation "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"!!
AUG. 27th: GOING THE DISTANCE (R) Drew Barrymore in a love story about long-distance relationships!
 ...and MORE!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EAT PRAY LOVE (PG13)
There are no less than THREE new releases this weekend, and all of them are very much in focus with their demographic...

One is aimed squarely at the action crowd, and features a lot of 1980's tough guys posturing for old time's sake.
-and-
One is directed at the teenage and young adult crowd with a premise that is at best befuddling to anyone over the age of 22...
'nuff said?
We are not playing those two movies!

What we ARE playing is the 3rd one on the list of new openers, and it is a movie that has "AVON" written all over it!
JULIA ROBERTS in the filmic adaptation of the best-selling book about a woman's journey for true happiness.

Just like films such as "Under the Tuscan Sun", this one will have you calling your travel agent as soon as you see it!
The journey starts Friday at 4 PM!
EAT PRAY LOVE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SOLITARY MAN (R)

MICHAEL DOUGLAS and a jaw-droppingly astounding cast including DANNY DeVITO, SUSAN SARANDON, JENNA FISCHER, MARY-LOUISE PARKER and more in this criminally-overlooked gem about an ageing lothario, and the cards life can deal you sometimes.

The Avon has always been one to seek out and champion the little-known films (witness the 9 year success of our "Overlooked Films" classes for Richland that are held at the Avon), and this is one we have been trying to land for quite a while now.

The reviews have been over 80% positive nation-wide, yet still movies like this sometimes "disappear" unless someone digs them up!
For those of you looking for "Avon movies", this is one of them!
SOLITARY MAN (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
INCEPTION (PG13)
And now, ladies and gentlemen, we have the 5th and final week of this mind-blowing conundrum of cinema. This veritable "Rubik's Cube" of a film. Yes, everything you have heard about it is true, and yes, it will drive you crazy.

Here's a tip: It doesn't have to be understood or even make sense to be enjoyable.

I think the problem some have with it is they are almost immediately thrown into a maelstrom of "what the...?", and instead of stressing about that, should just sit back and let it do its work.
LEONARDO DiCAPRIO has never been better, and there is a sure-thing Oscar nomination for him in this one! (You heard it here first!)
INCEPTION (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru THURS: 6:30 (ENDS THURSDAY)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RANTS, RAVINGS & RUMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
So, it is HOT as blazes (and has been for weeks on end).
-The lawns are all burnin' up.
-Decatur Celebration is over for another year.
-The kids are getting ready to return to school (and that is incredulous to me---I never went back to school until after Labor Day! In fact, I HATE Labor Day to this day because it always heralded the end of summer and the return to the salt mines!)
-And we begin that long slide into our Fall seasonal slow-down.
Fall is the time you will see me working to bring in more of the "art & indy" films that have always been our main thrust since day one!
BUT...remember, the art & indy films don't stay around long like the mall-fodder stuff does, so please SUPPORT THEM!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELLOS & GOODBYES
Another thing I hate about school starting is that is when we lose some of our best staffers!

Our wonderful HANNAH ELLIOTT, who has been a fixture at the Avon for THREE YEARS, will be headed to college in DeKalb in a few days, and another familiar face is our buddy JILL MONROE, who is going on 2 years with us, has already worked her last day and is off to EIU in Chucktown.

Like some of our best girls in the past, they will be back from time to time working holiday breaks, but...
It is always tough to lose the good 'uns!

HOWEVER, we have a new face joining us in MALLORY WIEDENKELLER. She is under intense training to fill Hannah's slot, and that will take a whole buncha' work, let me tell you! SHE thinks she's up to the task...we shall see!!

The "core four" at the Avon, Sue, Ashley, Chris and I, are thankful we have been so blessed with such a wonderful staff.
We are very particular whom we hire. They have to not only love the Avon, but they have to subscribe to our cock-eyed view of superior customer service!
It is tough to find young people who understand such concepts these days, but we usually can!
Not everyone can be an "AVONIAN", but more are born every day!

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll be looking for you and you, and, mostly...YOU!!