[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS----APRIL 29th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Apr 29 14:27:00 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, APRIL 29th thru THURSDAY, MAY 6th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
THE JONESES (R) Demi Moore & David Duchovny in a very clever comedy!!

CONTINUING:
DATE NIGHT (PG13) Steve Carell & Tina Fey are out on the town, and in big trouble too! ENDS SOON!!
THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13) J-Lo is BACK in a very clever romantic comedy!
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR) The Swedish adaptation of the huge and chilling book! ENDS SOON!!

COMING SOON:
MAY 7th: ??? (Still working on it!)
MAY 14th: ROBIN HOOD (PG13) Russell Crowe in a rip-roaring adventure that I am really looking forward to!
MAY 28th: SEX AND CITY 2 (R) Need I say more?
MAY 28th: PRINCE OF PERSIA: The Sands of Time (PG13) Jake Gyllenhaal in an astounding Summer "popcorn" picture!
...and more, more... MORE!! A Whole Summer's Worth MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELP WANTED!!
Yes, an exciting career in show-business can be YOURS!!
WE ARE HIRING PART-TIME SUMMER HELP!!
Prefer students, but we will consider all bonafide humans.
>MUST HAVE OWN TRANSPORTATION
>MUST BE ABLE TO WORK NIGHTS, WEEKENDS & HOLIDAYS
>MUST BE ABLE TO CARRY 50 POUND BAGS OF RAW POPCORN
>MUST BE ABLE TO LEAP TALL BUILDINGS IN A SINGLE BOUND
APPLY IN-PERSON TO GENERAL MANAGER ASHLEY PETTY
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE (That's why I said "apply in-person!")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13)

JENNIFER LOPEZ really has a lot of screen appeal.
I think it is easy to forget just how talented she is when the tabloids trivialize her and report her every move.
The thing is: She has been around longer than the whole "J-Lo" hoo-hah!
She even once co-starred with Michael Caine and Jack Nicholson (can you name what movie? we showed it in my film classes).
Her work in the George Clooney "Out of Sight" was nothing short of remarkable.
Give her a chance in this funny and sexy comedy, and I think you will be glad you did.
THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DATE NIGHT (PG13)

So, last week we were all set to drop this funny-fest at the end of its 3rd week, and what happened?
All of a sudden we saw an increase in tickets sold!
Looking at the movie release chart and seeing nothing new for this weekend except non-Avon-appropriate mall tripe, I decided it couldn't be a terrible idea to hold this for a 4th week.
STEVE CARELL and TINA FEY really bring you a good time here!!
DATE NIGHT (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR)
Ok, what's the problem here?
We bring in the best movie in town (at least, that is, for discerning and mature adults), and you let the mere fact it is in Swedish with English subtitles throw you?
Let me tell you, folks, I sometimes watch TV at home with captions on, even if it is in English, because I can't understand what a lot of these current actors are saying half the time!

It seems today the art of properly enunciated lines are a causality of the boorish quest for more "natural" dialog!
BALONEY!

I remember even a great actor like Robert Downey, Jr. absolutely MUMBLED through his role in the recent "Sherlock Holmes"!
(I had to watch it on DVD with the captions on just to see what the heck he was saying!!!!)

BUT, here you have a stunning movie, that EVERYONE who has seen it has RAVED about...
-The best-selling books in this trilogy are eating up the charts!
AND...
WE HELD-IT OVER TO GIVE YOU ANOTHER CHANCE!!
It was only supposed to be here a week, so get over your subtitle phobia and come see a good movie!!
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI & SAT: 7:00
SUN: (4:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE JONESES (R)
Where has DEMI MOORE been?
She is a welcome addition to the Avon screens this weekend!
This is a clever comedy that co-stars DAVID DUCHOVNY and some surprises.
The preview for this has been playing with "The Back-Up Plan", and I think it looks like a lot of fun!
And, very "topical" for this day and age too!
We had to "shoehorn" it in because of my last-minute decision to hold-over "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", so watch those showtimes carefully!
THE JONESES (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00)
SAT: (1:00) - (4:00)
SUN: (1:00)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO

Ahhhh, Summertime! (Or "solid Spring", to be exact!).
MY favorite time of year is hot, hot, HOT Summer!

The pools get open, the convertible tops come down, and the movie business thrives!
That's right: Summer is our 2nd best season (next to Christmas).
-And Spring and Fall are our worst seasons!

In fact, APRIL is our single worst month of the year!
BUT...April is now OVER!! YAY!!

Keep in mind that there are so many new movies coming in the Summer months that we can't possibly play them all with only 3 screens.
-Many really big movies we will play "first run" this Summer, but there will be other "big ones" we play "2nd run" or don't play at all.

These "log jams" make it really frustrating to us, because we wish we could play EVERYTHING!
("Everything" that is suitable for us, that is).

-What decides whether we will play a film or not?
A whole lot of dynamics!
It can be merely a shortage of prints nationally, or it can be tons of other elements like competitive politics, studio meanies, money, scheduling conflicts, money, "gut feelings" on appropriateness for the Avon, or...did I mention "money"?

(Where "money" is a factor is the advances some studios charge us "little guys". Many of the studios have their heads screwed on straight when it comes to the amount asked for advances, but a few are so out-of-line on the money requested upfront it is insanity by definition!)

Needless to say, we will NOT be able to give you EVERYTHING you want this Summer!
BUT, we will give you a whole bunch!!
AND...all we ask is that when WE are playing a movie at the same time as the "other guys", PLEASE make US your choice!

Unfortunately, you'll still have to go to the "other guys" to see some of the big Summer films that we won't be able to play, and I am truly sorry for that...

BUT, as I have often said here: Anyone who wants to step up and help me add two or three more screens (we have the space to do it), then I am ready to talk about it!

Until then, we'll do the best we can with juggling 3 screens!
(Remember when we only had ONE screen? Jeez!)

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for You, and You...and YOU!!