[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---April 23rd, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Apr 22 12:01:13 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, APRIL 23rd thru THURSDAY, APRIL 29th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13) J-Lo is BACK in a very clever romantic comedy!
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR) The Swedish adaptation of the huge and chilling book!

CONTINUING:
DATE NIGHT (PG13) Steve Carell & Tina Fey are out on the town, and in big trouble too! ENDS SOON!!

COMING SOON:
APRIL 30th: ??? (we have a pretty good idea, but it isn't set in stone yet!)
MAY 7th: ??? (It's up to the movie Gods!)
MAY 14th: ROBIN HOOD (PG13) Russell Crowe in a rip-roaring adventure that I am really looking forward to!
MAY 28th: SEX AND CITY 2 (R) Need I say more?
MAY 28th: PRINCE OF PERSIA: The Sands of Time (PG13) Jake Gyllenhaal in an astounding Summer "popcorn" picture!
...and more, more... MORE!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELP WANTED!!
Yes, an exciting career in show-business can be YOURS!!
WE ARE HIRING PART-TIME SUMMER HELP!!
Prefer students, but we will consider all bonafide humans.
>MUST HAVE OWN TRANSPORTATION
>MUST BE ABLE TO WORK NIGHTS, WEEKENDS & HOLIDAYS
>MUST BE ABLE TO CARRY 50 POUND BAGS OF RAW POPCORN
>MUST BE ABLE TO LEAP TALL BUILDINGS IN A SINGLE BOUND
APPLY IN-PERSON TO GENERAL MANAGER ASHLEY PETTY
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE (That's why I said "apply in-person!")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13)

This is the first time "J-Lo" aka Jennifer Lopez, has appeared on the screen in 5 years, and what a welcome it is to have her back.
After marriage and babies, she finally decided it was time to hit the silver screen again!
This is a fine vehicle for her return, and reminds us how appealing she was in "Maid in Manhattan" and "Monster-in-Law".
(of course, it doesn't hurt that her co-star Alex O'Laughlin has a rapidly growing fan-base with the ladies!)...
The novel story-line here, involving artificial insemination, and then meeting "the one", has really not been seen before, and makes for some real laughs too!
You've seen the ads on TV for this, and now it is HERE!
THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DATE NIGHT (PG13)

Here's your last chances to see this fun-filled comedy of mistaken identity starring Tina Fey and Steve Carell.
If you still haven't seen it, you'll want to hot-foot it down! It ends SOON!!
DATE NIGHT (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR)
Like I do from time to time when a film really needs that "extra push", here is just one of the dozens and dozens of great reviews for this movie!
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
Everyone has secrets in the "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," a mind-bending and mesmerizing thriller that takes its time unlocking one mystery only to uncover another, all to chilling and immensely satisfying effect.

The film is based on the first crime novel in Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy, and Danish director Niels Arden Oplev has somehow found a way to adapt one of Europe's most popular contemporary books, a bestselling sensation here as well, and still infuse it with surprise.

The bones of the story remain --  the 40-year-old unsolved case of a missing girl, a disgraced financial journalist, and the enigmatic young private investigator with that dragon tattoo.

For devotees of the book, be prepared: Oplev has done some major renovations on the story, changing characters, plot points and relationships to suit his needs. What he has kept, and what makes the movie work, is the essence of Lisbeth, Mikael and the mystery that will soon bring them together.

Without letting style overtake the substance, Oplev and cinematographer Eric Kress have nevertheless given a beautiful, somber tone to the proceedings, using the ice and snow of a Swedish winter to create a stark color palette as well as a cold, emotional tone.

The filmmaker has also done a neat trick in keeping all the mysteries straight, so that no one gets lost as Harriet's story unfolds and Mikael's and Lisbeth's take their own spot on the stage. All of this the filmmaker will get to before it's over, understanding that human behavior is really what's under the microscope here.

One of the difficulties inherent in turning "Dragon Tattoo" into a film is that Larsson, who died suddenly in 2004, leaving the as yet unpublished trilogy behind, tied so much of Mikael's sleuthing to sorting through old police reports, newspaper clippings, family photos and corporate archives, while Lisbeth's detective work is done digging inside computers.
But Oplev keeps everyone, and everything, on the move, the tension unrelenting as new suspects keep popping up.

He is greatly helped by a number of finely wrought performances, with Rapace unforgettable as the dark and troubled Lisbeth, a turn that has already garnered the young actress a string of international awards. Meanwhile, Nyqvist brings just the right splash of irony and intensity to his wronged journalist, forever unable to resist a great story, and in "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," that's exactly what we've got.

By BETSY SHARKEY Film Critic L.A. Times
RUNNING TIME: 2hr. 30 min. Swedish with English Subtitles
NOTE: We will be reminding all of you at the box-office that this is a Swedish film with English subtitles. We HOPE that will not prevent you from seeing this universally-acclaimed movie!
I found out a long time ago that some of the finest films are NOT made in English, but there are "some" out there who have yet to discover that fact.
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI & SAT:  (3:30) - 7:00
SUN: (3:30)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RAMBLINGS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO
I know I tend to be hyperbolic (ya' think?), but, I feel I can say with no sense of irony or promotion that I think last Saturday's performance of Charlie Chaplin's silent 1925 masterwork THE GOLD RUSH accompanied LIVE by members of the Millikin Symphony Orchestra, was the single highest cultural point in our 11 year history.
Those of you who missed it really lost out on something unique and wonderful.

I know there was an inordinate amount of entertainment competition that night, with events happening all over town, but the turn-out at the Avon was just as I'd hoped!

Was it a "sell-out crowd"?? Yes, I would call it that. There were still about 60 seats left out of our 700, but sometimes it is better to not push for shoulder-to-shoulder, every-seat-filled anyway...
Besides, with all of our staff (including our auxiliary volunteers) and Millikin's staff, I am sure those 60 slots were more than covered!

It was so amazing to witness an 85 year old film bring uproarious laughter to all age groups!
Especially touching were all the younger people who were totally captivated and entertained by one of the most-enduring icons in cinematic history!

Conductor of the MDSO, Michael Luxner is nothing but a class act, and I salute him and his players for a job well done!

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for You, and You...and YOU!!