[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---APRIL 16th, 2010

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Apr 14 12:17:08 EDT 2010

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, APRIL 16th thru THURSDAY, APRIL 22nd ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
THE LAST SONG (PG) Greg Kinnear and Miley Cyrus in the new hit movie from Nicholas Sparks' best-selling book!

SPECIAL EVENT:
Saturday @ 7:30 ONLY: THE GOLD RUSH (1925) The Millikin Symphony Orchestra accompanies this Charlie Chaplin silent masterpiece! ONE NIGHT ONLY!!

CONTINUING:
CLASH OF THE TITANS 3D (PG13) COME SEE OUR NEW 3D SYSTEM!! ENDS SOON!!
DATE NIGHT (PG13) Steve Carell & Tina Fey are out on the town, and in big trouble too!

COMING SOON:
APRIL 23rd: THE BACK-UP PLAN (PG13) J-Lo is BACK in a very clever romantic comedy!
APRIL 30th: THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (NR) The Swedish adaptation of the huge and chilling book!
...and MORE!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HELP WANTED!!
Yes, an exciting career in show-business can be YOURS!!
WE ARE HIRING PART-TIME SUMMER HELP!!
Prefer students, but we will consider all bonafide humans.
>MUST HAVE OWN TRANSPORTATION
>MUST BE ABLE TO WORK NIGHTS, WEEKENDS & HOLIDAYS
>MUST BE ABLE TO CARRY 50 POUND BAGS OF RAW POPCORN
>MUST BE ABLE TO LEAP TALL BUILDINGS IN A SINGLE BOUND
APPLY IN-PERSON TO GENERAL MANAGER ASHLEY PETTY
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE (That's why I said "apply in-person!")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Charlie Chaplin's THE GOLD RUSH (1925) LIVE Accompaniment by the Millikin Symphony Orchestra!
Almost 2 years in the planning, this very unique Decatur Art's experience is truly a once-in-a-lifetime event!
Say what you will about "nothing to do in Decatur", this weekend will be loaded with competition for your hard-earned entertainment dollars!
What you need to ask yourself is this:
What event will be of the "one-time-only" type and not more of the same ol', same ol'?
What event will have other performances, while what one is ONE-NIGHT-ONLY??
This is the Millikin Symphony Orchestra members performing LIVE to Charlie Chaplin's original score for his 1925 masterpiece "The Gold Rush".
They will be showing a VERY RARE archival 35mm print from the vaults in Europe!
TICKETS HAVE BEEN MADE AVAILABLE FOR AVON BOX-OFFICE PURCHASE THE DAY OF THE EVENT, PLUS YOU CAN GET THEM NOW BY CALLING THE MILLIKIN KIRKLAND BOX-OFFICE!!
THE GOLD RUSH (1925)
SATURDAY @ 7:30 PM ONLY!! GET THERE EARLY!!
NOTE: Avon Gift Certificates or V.I.P. Passes can NOT be used for ticket purchases for this event!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE LAST SONG (PG)

We had so many people asking whether we intended to show this hit film from Nicholas Sparks' best-selling novel, we decided this would be the perfect booking for the main theater while we are all caught up in the Millikin Charlie Chaplin hoopla!
(You will note that this does not play on Saturday!)
This is Greg Kinnear and Miley Cyrus in a sentimental and absorbing story of young love and not-so-young-love.
Sparks' stories (THE NOTEBOOK, A WALK TO REMEMBER, DEAR JOHN) certainly don't thrill the poopy-pants critics, but they do have a very loyal audience!
(I remember playing THE NOTEBOOK many years ago as a 2nd run, and the place was packed!)
Plus, its "PG" rating just about guarantees it is "family friendly".
THE LAST SONG (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:00) - 7:00
*SAT: SPECIAL EVENT--NO SATURDAY SHOWINGS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DATE NIGHT (PG13)
WARNING: If you are not ready to laugh and laugh some more, you better skip this one!
TINA FEY and STEVE CARELL (and others) deliver the goods, for sure!
Based on a mistaken identity, a middle-aged & bored married couple find themselves in a whole mess of bad trouble while on the town in the city one night!
It's all in good fun, but you'll sure get some belly-laughs living it out with them!
DATE NIGHT (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS:  7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CLASH OF THE TITANS 3D (PG13)
So, if you haven't made it down for us to show off our new 3D system yet, you better get to it!
This fun movie has been the #1 film in America for the past 2 weeks, and its easy to see why.
It is FUN! And, it isn't anything else but FUN!
Don't be expecting the kind of depressing films the critics love, and don't be thinking this will give you any insight into social mores and the problems of the world in general.
Just put on your 3D glasses and be transported to an ancient world of Gods and monsters!!
HURRY, it ends soon!!
CLASH OF THE TITANS 3D (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:15) - 8:15
SAT:  (2:15) - (5:15) - 8:15
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FOLKS:
This Saturday night's very-special event at the Avon with the showing of Charlie Chaplin's 1925 silent masterpiece THE GOLD RUSH accompanied by members of the Millikin Symphony Orchestra performing Chaplin's own original music score, is a MUST event!

Because I believed in this so much, I have DONATED the use of the theater to Millikin!
Giving up a Saturday night is a very hard thing for us to do!
BUT, Millikin's expenses on this were so high anyway, I didn't want to make it any harder for it to happen!

HOWEVER, that also means you better get your fannies down to this one-night-only show!
(And BUY POPCORN!)

Looking at the list of events in town this weekend, I see a lot of things going on...
BUT NONE OF THEM ARE AS UNIQUE AND URGENT AS OUR SATURDAY-NIGHT-ONLY EVENT!!

I am hoping for a sell-out (700 seats), and I know we are right now more than half-way there!
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS INCREDIBLY ORIGINAL EVENT!!

(If you keep going to the same ol', same ol'; that is ALL you will EVER get!
Make it a very special night at THE AVON on Saturday night @ 7:30 PM ONLY!!)

Tickets are available now at the Kirkland Box-office, and then at the Avon box-office on the day of the show!
PLUS, a VERY SPECIAL GUEST will be announcing the film and speaking for a few minutes prior!

I'm Counting On All of YOU to BE THERE SATURDAY NIGHT!
Don't Let Me Down!