[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS: Sept. 25th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Sep 23 13:13:58 EDT 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, SEPT. 25th thru THURSDAY,  OCT. 1st  ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:

MY ONE AND ONLY (PG13) Renee' Zelwegger and Kevin Bacon in a wonderful and nostalgic comedy set in the 1950's!!

CONTINUING:
THE INFORMANT! (R) If you don't know what this one is, I don't know what to say...
LOVE HAPPENS (PG13) Jennifer Aniston and Aaron Eckhart romance!

COMING SOON:
OCT. 2nd: WHIP IT! (PG13) That JUNO girl, Ellen Page is back in a rollicking comedy about roller derbies!
OCT. 9th: COUPLES RETREAT (R) Vince Vaughn and a great cast in a side-splitter about "marriage encounter"!!
OCT. 9th: CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY (PG13) Michael Moore takes on the Wall Street bail-out! You're gonna' get MAD!!
OCT. 16th & 17th: MIDNIGHT SHOWS OF "ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW"!!
OCT. 16th: WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (G) From the beloved children's book! Finally on the screen!
OCT. 23rd: AMELIA (PG13) Hilary Swank & Richard Gere in the acclaimed bio-pic of Amelia Earhart!
...and LOTS more!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE INFORMANT! (R) So, this is the record-setter for the Avon Theatre, and possibly not just during our 10 1/2 year tenure either!
This is, very possibly, the biggest opening weekend (dollar wise) in the Avon's entire 93 year history!
And, well it should be too! When has a major motion picture, from a major studio, about a local Decatur story, and starring one of the biggest stars in the world ever happened here before?? You tell me!
The main thing to keep in mind to help you really enjoy this movie is this: It is NOT about "Decatur", per se'; it is a true story that is SET in Decatur, but it is NOT "the Decatur story"! It is an enjoyable and even sardonic look at a real incident that a lot of us remember very well.
MATT DAMON does some incredible acting here, but, if you are looking for the Matt Damon of the Bourne movies, you better wait for more of those to come to the multiplex!
The humor here is more of the ironic type we know as "black comedy", and there are many who simply will not "get" the humor...
However, the intelligent and more discerning Avon customers have, for the most part, been very entertained!
(I can't imagine what the "multiplex crowds" across the country have thought about it though!)
THE INFORMANT! (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru THURS: (4:00) -  7:00

MY ONE AND ONLY (PG13) Renee' Zelwegger and Kevin Bacon in a nostalgic true story set in the 1950's about actor George Hamilton's childhood. This is one of those stalwart movie genres known as a "road picture", and the reviews have been excellent! We went to great pains to bring this movie in as an "Avon Exclusive", and I hope you will all come out and support it!
MY ONE AND ONLY  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LOVE HAPPENS (PG13) Jennifer Aniston and Aaron Eckhart in an old-fashioned romance about two lovelorn people finding each other (isn't that great when that happens?). This did not draw the crowds it should have last weekend as EVERYONE was seeing THE INFORMANT!, but now that things will have died down a bit, you have two excellent alternatives (with MY ONE AND ONLY) in the Avon Twins to see!
LOVE HAPPENS  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
SEASON PASSES ARE BACK!! Look for them for a limited time only STARTING NOW!!
They are now called the "V.I.P. MOVIE PASS" !!
We will only sell a limited amount, so make your plans to get yours now. They won't last long, and, we are not going to sell beyond 100 of them this time. We need to better control them, so we will be limiting the number available.
DON'T DELAY!!
V.I.P. Passes are good for 10 Movies (maximum two people at a time) and are: ADULTS: $70.00 SENIORS (60 and over) $52.50.

DID YOU KNOW??....
* On October 1st the Avon Twins will be FIVE YEARS OLD!! The pity is: They are the newest and most comfortable theaters in the  entire Decatur area, yet we still hear every day from people who do not know they exist!

* The Avon's popcorn is so incredibly good because we use nothing but the best ingredients. The corn is a locally-grown ultra-quality hybrid, and we pop in ADM Sunflower oil, the most expensive, yet healthiest, oil there is! Compare that with most other theaters using coconut oil (cheap and very unhealthy) and trashy, cheap-o "commercial corn"!! Plus, there's that REAL BUTTER!!

* Our General Manager, Ashley Petty, will be profiled in Box Office magazine in the October issue!! We have not received the copies of the issue yet, and we are all very excited! Ashley runs the Avon just as she was an extension of Sue or me, and we couldn't be prouder of her!

* THE INFORMANT! smashed TWO records this weekend! It became the new champ in the BIGGEST and 2nd BIGGEST attended single regular movie presentation (excluding special events) in our 10 1/2 year history!! It beat the largest show of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and the infamous opening night of "Fahrenheit 9/11" respectively. Groovy, huh?

* The big main Avon Theatre has almost 700 seats! It is very hard for us to sell-out! Don't be misled by the "disinformation"  spread by our competitors that we are "sold-out"! This baloney gets put out there every time we have a huge movie, and it is simply a lie most of the time! 700 seats is THREE TIMES the size of the largest theater at the "other guys"; keep that in mind and always count on THE AVON having available seats!!

* The AVON continues to be in the TOP FOUR in the entire state of ticket sales on THE INFORMANT! After the incredible weekend, with lines around the block, we were #3 in statewide rankings, beaten only by two of the biggest Chicago theaters. Now, during the slower weeknights, we have still not fallen below #4 in the entire state! I guess that shows that a movie with a Decatur connection is best seen in a LOCALLY-OWNED Decatur theater! (the other two Decatur area movie theaters are owned by a huge Georgia conglomerate hoo-hah).

Come See Me Soon, Folks!!