[Avon-theatre-news] AVON NEWS, OCT. 30th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Oct 29 11:21:45 EDT 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, OCT. 30th thru THURSDAY, NOV. 5th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY (PG13) Michael Moore's new docu-opinion piece!! Ready to get ANGRY???
*HALLOWEEN NIGHT: FREE SHOWINGS OF TWO HORROR CLASSICS: "The Wolfman" & "Black Sunday"

CONTINUING:
AMELIA (PG13) Hilary Swank & Richard Gere in the acclaimed bio-pic of Amelia Earhart!
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (G) From the beloved children's book! Finally on the screen!

COMING SOON:
NOV. 6th: A CHRISTMAS CAROL (G) Jim Carrey's new version!! WHY PAY HIGH 3D PRICES??? NOT IN 3-D!!!
NOV. 6th: COCO BEFORE CHANEL (PG13) The French sensation starring Audrey Tautou!!
NOV. 6th: THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS (PG13) George Clooney, Jeff Bridges and more in a side-splitter!!
NOV. 20th: NEW MOON  (PG13)  (Part 2 of the Twilight Saga) Talk about a monster hit!!!
NOV. 20th: THE BLIND SIDE (PG13) One look at the preview for this and you will see go crazy!
NOV. 25th: OLD DOGS (PG) John Travolta & Robin Williams in a sure-fire huge family comedy hit!
...and MORE, MUCH, MUCH MORE!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HALLOWEEN NIGHT @ 10 PM!! JOIN US FOR FREE SHOWINGS OF TWO CLASSIC FRIGHT FILMS!!
"The WOLFMAN" (1940) with Lon Chaney, Jr., Ralph Bellamy and Claude Rains
-and-
"BLACK SUNDAY" (1961) with Barbara Steele (This one scared the stuffing out of me when I was 11 years old, and still packs a wallop today!)
HALLOWEEN NIGHT @ 10 PM!! JOIN US FOR FREE SHOWINGS OF TWO CLASSIC FRIGHT FILMS!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
AMELIA (PG)
And, once again we have proven the film critics are a buncha pop-culture sycophants! Some of you entered this movie last weekend with a little bit of trepidation...After all, the all-knowing, all-powerful "film critics" did not like it one bit! They said it was "old fashioned", YUP! They said it was "sentimental" YUP!
AND, WHAT DID THOSE OF YOU WHO SAW IT THINK???
Well, from what we could tell on our "exit polls", YOU LOVED IT!!
RICHARD GERE and HILARY SWANK with a stellar cast in an "old Hollywood" telling of a legendary American, Amelia Earhart!
Really, what's not to like? All the ingredients that make movies worthwhile are here!
AMELIA  (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CAPITALISM: A Love Story  (R)
OK, so MICHAEL MOORE is back with another of his very funny, yet very inflammatory docu-opinion pieces! This time, however, he is not skewering something so polarizing as his previous outings! I mean, is there ANYONE who is not at least a tad ticked off at the Wall Street bailouts? I would be willing to bet that even the most conservative person you could find would admit that, yes, these things got a little, uh, out-of-hand! (ya think?)
So, here is Michael Moore, in his unique style, ready to show you all his opinion of how we got in this mess we are MAYBE starting to drag ourselves out of!
This is a LIMITED ENGAGEMENT for ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!
CAPITALISM: A Love Story  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (PG)
Your last chances to see director Spike Jonze's daring visualization of the classic children's book. This is certainly not run-of-the-mill filmmaking, and, in fact, could even be called ground-breaking. It took a lot of courage to eschew the current trappings of today's movie dictates, and not use full CGI or 3-D, or any of the other hoo-hah. This is "organic" movie making!
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru WED: 6:30
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TO 3-D OR NOT 3-D ??
In this case, I think "not"!
The glasses are obnoxious.
The color is not as good as it is in a standard showing.
And, we are NOT equipped to show 3-D!

BUT, there is MORE!!!!
Have you seen the PRICES theaters are charging for 3-D presentations??
I honestly don't know how Decatur families in these tough days can afford to fork over all that money just to wear ill-fitting glasses and have things jump out of the screen at you!
REALLY, folks, if the movie is GOOD ENOUGH, then it doesn't need all the clap-trap and hoo-hah!

We are making a daring decision to present next week's A CHRISTMAS CAROL in a NON-3-D format!
We will make sure everyone knows going into this that this will not be 3-D!!
(Of course, they may realize that when they still have money left for popcorn and soda for their kids!!!!)

THE AVON is the LOCALLY-OWNED theater!
We need to pinch pennies just like YOU do these days!

I hope you will prove to us that 3-D is NOT important by seeing Jim Carey's A CHRISTMAS CAROL at THE AVON starting next week!!

Come See Me Soon, Folks!!