[Avon-theatre-news] AVON NEWS--NOV. 6th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Nov 4 11:49:35 EST 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, NOV. 6th  thru THURSDAY, NOV. 12th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:

DISNEY'S A CHRISTMAS CAROL (G) Jim Carrey's new version!! NOT IN 3-D, but at REGULAR PRICES TOO!!
THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS (PG13) George Clooney, Jeff Bridges and more in a side-splitter!!

CONTINUING:
AMELIA (PG13) Hilary Swank & Richard Gere in the acclaimed bio-pic of Amelia Earhart! FINAL WEEK!!!

COMING SOON:
NOV. 13th: BRIGHT STAR (PG) Here's an excellent movie you missed! The 19th century romance of English poet John Keats.
NOV. 20th: NEW MOON  (PG13)  (Part 2 of the Twilight Saga) Talk about a monster hit!!
NOV. 20th: THE BLIND SIDE (PG13) One look at the preview for this and you'll be crazy to see it!
NOV. 25th: OLD DOGS (PG) John Travolta & Robin Williams in a sure-fire huge family comedy hit!
...and MORE!!
Christmas movies are COMING!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NOTE: Due to a scheduling problem, our previously-announced presentation of the English-subtitled French film "Coco Before Chanel" was not possible this week. We hear it will be showing at Boardman's Art Theatre in Champaign-Urbana in the next few weeks, and urge you to see it there.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DISNEY'S A CHRISTMAS CAROL (PG) First off, let's get this out of the way: THIS WILL NOT BE IN 3-D! The extra charges "other" theaters are placing on 3-D presentations are, frankly, outrageous, and, until now, you have not had an alternative!

WELL, YOU DO NOW!!  We are doing this "experiment" to see if 3-D is really all that important!

Maybe if a $3 charge was not tacked onto ALL tickets for 3-D at the "other guys", we might sing a different tune...
However, I maintain if the movie is "good enough" then you shouldn't need all the gimmicks.

Yes, the 3-D can add an extra element to a good (or bad) film, but not to the point of such predatory surcharges.

When I think about Decatur families having to fork over all that money just to wear obnoxious 3-D glasses, well, I figured I would try to do something!

Jim Carrey in the newest re-telling of the time-honored Dickens tale looks to be an instant classic!
This is done in the same style as POLAR EXPRESS, that motion-capture cool live-action.
SEND A MESSAGE TO THE "OTHER GUYS" THAT YOU ARE SICK AND TIRED OF THEIR 3-D SURCHARGES BY SUPPORTING THE AVON'S NON-3-D PRESENTATION!!
DISNEY'S A CHRISTMAS CAROL  (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS  (R) Rather hard title to market, huh? That's just what I thought when I placed this preview on the front of our record-shattering run of "The Informant" in September. When audiences got to see GEORGE CLOONEY, JEFF BRIDGES, EWAN McGREGOR, KEVIN SPACEY and a whole bunch more in a whacky and irreverent comedy based on a "true story", well the laughter was deafening!
Yes, the United States Army actually flirted with the idea of creating a "psychic army" once.
(History buffs know this concept goes all the way back to Hitler, and maybe a lot further!)
In any event, it is the fodder of giggles and guffaws now, as a nutty bunch have loads of fun making a movie about it!
THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
AMELIA (PG) So now we come to the end of Amelia's flight. HILARY SWANK and RICHARD GERE would be welcome to stay on the Avon screens as long as they want, but the holiday movies are heading our way, and we have to make room!
In other words: YOU BETTER GET A MOVE ON IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS WONDERFUL AND OLD-FASHION MOVIE!!!
AMELIA (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru WED: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...

So, the Fall cometh, and Winter beckons right around the corner!
We are on the other side of THE INFORMANT and ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, and the hustle-bustle of the HAUNTED DECATUR TOURS are a memory now as well...

The Holiday Season is so packed with great movies, it will be even more difficult than usual to make the brutal choice of what movie makes the "cut" and what does not!
With only 3 screens, we have to be soooooo choosy!
-And, if we make a booking mistake, it is one we are stuck with for at least 2 or 3 weeks!!!!!

Rest assured, if you do not see a particular movie you have been waiting for showing "first run" at the Avon, email me or ask me in person if we intend to bring it in a little later.

I am aware there are many of you out there who will only see a movie if it plays THE AVON, and I wish I could add a couple more screens so that you never had to!
Donations or investors to build two more screens out there?
The line forms to the left!

Come See Me Soon, Folks!!