[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--March 27th 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Mar 25 12:24:21 EDT 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 27th thru THURSDAY, APRIL 2nd ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN (PG) The HUGE Family Hit Comes to THE AVON!!
                              THE INTERNATIONAL (R) Clive Owen and Naomi Watts in an exciting bank scandal tale!

CONTINUING: DUPLICITY (PG13) Julia Roberts and Clive Owen Spy, Spark & Spar!

COMING SOON:
NEXT WEEK: SUNSHINE CLEANING (R) Amy Adams and Alan Arkin!
NEXT WEEK: FAST & FURIOUS (PG13) Vin Diesel and Paul Walker to the max!
APRIL 10th: OBSERVE AND REPORT (R) The FUNNIER "mall cop" movie!
APRIL 17th: STATE OF PLAY (PG13) Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck embroiled in scandal!
APRIL 24th: TBA
MAY 1st: X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (PG13) Summer blockbusters start!
MAY 1st: GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST (PG13) Matthew McConaughey chick flick! Avon "Gold"!
MAY 8th: TBA
MAY 15th: ANGELS AND DEMONS (PG13) Tom Hanks in "DaVinci Code" Sequel!
Memorial Day Weekend,MAY 22nd: TERMINATOR SALVATION (R) Need We Say More??
Memorial Day Weekend,MAY 22nd: NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 2 (PG) Part Two of the Giant Hit!!
JUNE 5th: LAND OF THE LOST (PG13) Will Ferrell Gets Chased by Dinosaurs! (Maybe EATEN too??)
JUNE 12th: THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Sandra Bullock up to mischief!
JUNE 12th: THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R) John Travolta and Denzel Washington in the '73 remake!!
JUNE 19th: MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13) A NEW "Big Fat Greek" Movie!! YAY!!!!! Nia Vardolos is BACK!!
JUNE 26th: TBA
JULY 1st: PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) Johnny Depp as Dillinger! Christian Bale as the G-Man after him!
JULY 17th: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG13) NEW HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!
JULY 24th: THE UGLY TRUTH (PG13) Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl!
AUGUST 7th: JULIA AND JULIA (PG13) Meryl Streep as Julia Child! Co-stars Amy Adams!
(All Dates Subject to Change)

RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN (PG) The huge family hit can finally be seen at THE AVON!! Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and one of my faves, Carla Gugino head a fine cast in a fun movie for all ages! This is a Disney movie, and with that usually comes quality presentations! Yes, it is what is commonly called a "popcorn picture", but, hey, we got the BEST popcorn so what's the problem?
RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE INTERNATIONAL  (R) And here is the "other" Clive Owen spy thriller, except this time the bad guys are international banking scoundrels! Imagine that! Bad guys in the banking industry! What an imagination this screenwriter has! (BIG smile here) This is really a week for movies with some of my favorite actresses, because one of my all-time favorites is in this one, Naomi Watts!
This is truly one of my "Overlooked Films", as this came and went in the theaters about a month ago with nary a whisper...Well, it deserves better than that, as you will see if you get your fanny down to see it!
THE INTERNATIONAL  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DUPLICITY  (PG13) Julia Roberts has been gone from the screen (as far as leading roles) for about 5 years now. She has a bunch of little kids to raise, and was a little, uh, distracted by that...
Now, she is back to prove she can still carry a picture, and what a labyrinthine plot it is!
One critic said not since the French film that we proudly played a few weeks ago, "Tell No One", has there been such a serpentine story!
And Clive Owen continues to prove to us in this film and in his other current thriller "The International", that he really would have been a great choice for 007, James Bond! (not that I have the slightest problem with the current Bond, Daniel Craig).
The cherries on the sundae here is the addition of incredible award-winning character actors Paul Giamatti and Tom Wilkinson. This is from the some team that brought you the great George Clooney pic "Michael Clayton" last year.
DUPLICITY  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP...
Probably some of you have noticed we have been experimenting with different showtimes lately.
The Late Winter/early Spring is traditionally a slower time for us, and what better slot to try a few experiments before some of the big Summer blockbusters are released?
We hope we have not inconvenienced you with our "tests"!
Our current showtime model is one we have had in place for almost our entire 10 year history, and we just want to make sure that is still a viable schedule.

Especially problematic to our later shows on Sunday nights is the fact that there STILL are no restaurants open in downtown on Sundays!!
I have been yowling about this for 10 years, but STILL no results!!
That makes it very difficult to stay open late on Sunday nights when we are the ONLY draw at that time!

We will, most likely, keep it to an earlier closing on Sunday nights until we are firmly into Spring.
(Or until one of our downtown restaurateurs is finally convinced of all the business they lose by not being open on Sundays!)

It was hoped there would be a new restaurant that would be open on Sundays in that beautiful new building just a half block down from us, but, so far, the building is still almost vacant!

As has been pointed out to me by industry analysts, the Avon is a "destination" theater, and people coming to the Avon are going TO the Avon!
With only 3 screens, we can't begin to offer ALL the movies, or the endless showtimes the "other guys" can!
BUT...
We can certainly strive to do what we do BETTER than they!!
I hope we have succeeded in that and will continue to do so!
Come See Me at the Movies This Weekend, Folks!!!