[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--March 13th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Mar 12 15:02:09 EDT 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 13th thru THURSDAY, MARCH 19th  ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: NOTE: We are "holding" all shows from last week. There really is not anything new this week that is "Avon Appropriate", and, while we sometimes are forced to go outside those perimeters just to have "fresh" product", we decided to simply "stay the course" this week.
Starting NEXT week, however, there is at least one new movie opening for the next several weeks!
Check our website, www.theAvon.com to see coming attractions for April and well into the Spring!

CONTINUING: WATCHMEN (R) #1 Movie in America!
                  TAKEN (PG13) The surprise HIT of the year! Action-packed!
                  SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R) ABSOLUTELY THE FINAL WEEK!!

COMING SOON:
March 20th: DUPLICITY (PG13) Julia Roberts and Clive Owen spar, spark and SPY!
MARCH 27th: TBA
APRIL 3rd: SUNSHINE CLEANING (R) Amy Adams and Emily Blunt as sisters in an, er, odd business venture.
APRIL 10th: OBSERVE AND REPORT (R) Seth Rogen as the "funnier" mall cop!
APRIL 17th: STATE OF PLAY (PG13) Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck and Helen Mirren in a knock-out political thriller!

THIS SPRING:
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (Hugh Jackman hairy and ferocious!)
MY LIFE IN RUINS (A new "Big Fat Greek" movie!!)
GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST (Matthew McConaughey chick flick!)
ANGELS AND DEMONS (Da Vinci Code sequel! ---or "prequel" for those purists)

COMING IN SUMMER:
TERMINATOR SALVATION (Christian "Batman" Bale battling the futuristic meanies!)
NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM--PART 2 (Need I say more?)
PUBLIC ENEMIES  (Johnny Depp as DILLINGER! Oh, boy!)
THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1,2,3 (Remake of the overlooked crime classic from the '70's)
NEW HARRY POTTER!! (You can start to line up now!)
NOTE: Study the showtimes carefully this week!
We are still on a shortened "late-Winter" schedule,
and we don't want you to come at the wrong time!
Pay particularly close attention to the Saturday and Sunday time
differences.
WATCHMEN  (R) Currently the #1 movie in America. I think many of those who are not familiar with the graphic novel (that means highfalutin comic book) don't know what in the world this movie is!
Truth be told, I didn't either!
Then, my wife and many of the other ladies who run the Avon, threatened to beat me senseless if I did not play this!!!
I am told you don't have to be a fan of the book to understand and enjoy the film.
Apparently, the fact that it is the #1 movie in America bears this out!
It is best on the Decatur area's BIGGEST screen, and that is where it is until next week when it moves to the Twins!
WATCHMEN  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 7:15
SAT: (3:15) - 7:15
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TAKEN  (PG13) Talk about "right place/right time" with this one! Liam Neeson is not exactly thought of as someone who could headline an action picture...until now! This lean and mean little film is still being discovered by the mainstream audiences, and what a fun discovery to make! It moves like lightning, and, at 92 minutes is short enough to not wear out its welcome. The story of a tough-as-nails ex-CIA father searching for his daughter who has been kidnapped by Euro-trash baddies, is instantly engrossing.
This is the biggest "surprise hit" of the year so far! Come see why! It's also just as good if not better the 2nd time! (hint hint)
TAKEN  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 8:15
SAT: (5:15) - 8:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R) And now we come to the final week of the big award winner. After a whopping 7 weeks, we HOPE you will get around to seeing it this weekend! If you don't, then I think you will probably regret not seeing it on the big screen when it makes it way to DVD. This is REALLY your last chance to see it! We mean it! We really do!
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

FRI: 8:00
SAT: (5:00) - 8:00
SUN: (2:00) - (5:00)
MON, TUES & WED: 7:00  ENDS WEDNESDAY!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP...

As my current Richland-at-the-Avon Film Class ("Americana at the Movies--Part 2") winds down to the final two weeks, I have decided to change the format of my next class...
Instead of 6 weeks of a profile on Marilyn Monroe movies, as was previously announced, I am going to do
"SIX CLASSIC COMEDIES"!!
That's right, it's time for some belly-laughs, and I am going to present in my popular screening and discussion series 6 of the finest examples of movie comedy ever made!
There will be probably NOT be anything that is NEW in this series, as we are talking "classics" and anything of recent vintage has not stood the test of time...yet.
What will be shown is some from the '30's, '40's, '50's, '60's and, maybe the '70's.
There will be more info on this next week as to dates, pricing, etc.

New date for THE INFORMANT release is Oct. 9th! All these changes are wreaking havoc on my plans to have some INCREDIBLE SPECIAL GUESTS!!! I had it all set for the original March release, then it was Sept. 11th, then Sept. 18th and now this! I still have commitments from some of those guests as "any time/any where", but gee, what a revoltin' situation! (to quote Jimmy Durante who also said "Everybody wants to get into the act!"  fits, dun'it?)

As I look at this week's extended weather forecast, it looks like after Friday we are in 50 and 60 degree weather, with little or no rain, for the next 10 days.
Could we really sneak past ol' man March without any more frigid temps and snow?
(Yes, I have seen it snow in April, but by that time the ground is usually too warm for the cursed white stuff to stay around for very long).
I don't know about YOU, but I am looking forward to Spring and Summer, and a time when we are not all paying the power company their heating blood money just to keep from becoming popsicles!

Seeya at the MOVIES!!