[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS-March 6th 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Mar 4 22:41:55 EST 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 6th thru THURSDAY, MARCH 12th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: WATCHMEN (R) The big, rowdy, action-packed spectacular on Decatur's BIGGEST screen!
                               TAKEN (PG13) Liam Neeson in the surprise hit of the year! A real thriller!!

CONTINUING: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R) The huge Oscar Winner! Best Picture!!

COMING SOON: DUPLICITY (PG13) Julia Roberts and Clive Owen star!!
...AND...the SPRING and SUMMER movies are COMING!!!!
WATCHMEN  (R)    I must confess I know very little about the media cultural phenomenon that is THE WATCHMEN. All the hype and hoopla is inescapable right now as this becomes more of an "event" movie, and that is fine with me if it connects to our audiences. Let me show you an EXCERPT from Champaign-Urbana's groovy film critic Chuck Koplinski's THREE STAR REVIEW:

Watchmen ~ 3 Stars

 With Billy Crudup, Jackie Earle Haley, Matthew Goode, Jeffery Dean Morgan, Patrick Wilson & Malin Ackerman.

 A Warner Brothers Release.  Rated R (Strong graphic violence, sexuality, nudity & language) Running Time: 162 minutes.

...Hardly a traditional Superman tale, "Watchmen" is a work that not only subverts the superhero genre, but questions society's need for heroes. It is a grand, sweeping saga that takes place in an alternate history in which Richard Nixon is still president in the mid 80's, thanks to his success in Vietnam, and the world stands on the brink of annihilation, as the Cold War between the U.S. and Russia has reached a fever pitch.  This sprawling story, filled with pop culture allusions, lengthy flashbacks and extensive back stories for each character, was long thought to be unfilmable...

...Without question, Snyder's film is a success visually as it presents an incredibly dense tableau replete with allusions to a wide variety of pop culture icons and happenings while creating a world that fanboys will have great fun deconstructing.  This required big screen viewing and will elicit more than a few "wows" from the audience...

...The look of the film, which takes place in an alternate history United States is still involved in the Cold War is stunning...

 ...A must see on the big screen... by Chuck Koplinski (edited with permission from the author. To see the entire review, look at the Illinois Times website)

Ok, that tells it better than I could have without seeing it myself!
As Chuck suggests, we will have this on the Decatur area's BIGGEST screen!!!

NOTE: Showtimes are a bit tricky, so study them carefully!

WATCHMEN  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TAKEN  (PG13) In the film classes I teach for Richland at the Avon, I frequently quote legendary screenwriter William Goldman from his must-read book "Adventures in the Screen Trade", when he says, on dealing with the movie business: "Nobody Knows Anything", and this is NEVER more true than with this film! TAKEN was this surprise hit that had seen a fairly decent European release a good 6 months before it was released in the USA! Yes, it IS in English! (for those of you who still have a problem with such things).
And, really, why shouldn't this be the hit it is?
It has a good story, great action sequences, likable actors (Liam Neeson, Maggie Grace) , is rated audience-friendly PG-13, and, is NOT very long at 92 minutes!
PLUS, it is one heck of a good movie!
I decided the Avon audiences needed a chance to see it since there are many who will ONLY go to the Avon (I am one of them!), so HERE IT IS!!
TAKEN  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R) The multi-Oscar wins that this wonderful little film gathered really made for a boost at the Avon box-office last week! It was as if many of you were waiting to see if this really, really, really was the ground-breaking film it was made out to be!
I think you found that out!
>From the colorful and oddly other-worldly India, to the award-winning infectious music, to the story of a boy from the squalor of the slums making it big on a game show; this movie is a memorable treat!
(I know, there are some who just didn't "get it", and that is to be expected. What WAS surprising was the wildly varied demographic of the people who simply LOVED it!)
This is now on it 6th week, and it won't be here much longer.
If you STILL have not seen it, ya' better get a move on!
If you want to see it again or for the 3rd or 4th time, now is the chance!
It won't be the same on video, trust me!
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

A NOTE FROM SKIP...
As I write this on Wednesday afternoon, I am still suffering from getting my rump thoroughly kicked by a very nasty flu bug that has been going door to door recently.
I am a pretty tough old bird, and it takes a lot to lay me low, but THIS THING...Wow!
I don't know how to tell you to protect yourself from it, because it's gonna' get ya' if it wants to, no matter what precautions you take.
If it strikes, you just gotta' ride it out!
I have to teach my class Thursday night, and in 7 1/2 years of teaching for Richland, I have never called in sick for a class, and I won't this time either!!
I WILL be at the helm!
(Does the ending of one of my Top Ten faves "EL CID" strike a chord here? I don't think many of you will have the foggiest what I am referring to, but those of you who do should nod in appreciation!)

SEEYA AT THE MOVIES, FOLKS!!